Trying my hand at glass tile

WNYBuckHunter

Shortly after we bought our house we decided that we wanted to paint the kitchen and put a backsplash in. After a lot of looking, we decided on a glass and stone tile backsplash that matched our cabinets and quartz counter tops. Last weekend I picked Up all the stuff and we got started. I went Through and cut all of the tiles and labeled them so I knew Right where they would go. Tonight I started Putting them up. I think It’s turning out great so far. Not too bad to do. It’s not completely perfect but it’s pretty darn close. I should Have it down pretty good by the time I finish  

3C179234-64F5-48B9-81AE-2E69D714D449.jpeg

F2CCF425-3C02-40F6-86FF-33E2AAC3CB2A.jpeg

F92F38D4-C2B0-4414-AC58-5A1BFB94D428.jpeg

9E1FDD1A-9281-4756-9BAE-109C494F51A0.jpeg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

It's a nice contrast between the darker cupboards and the lighter counter top. Blends everything together.

What  does the stone look like?

If you zoom in on the pics where I was mocking it up you can see the stone tiles in it. They are mottled, like the counter tops. 

56 minutes ago, First-light said:

I hated using glass tile. Hope you wore safety glasses when cutting? Too many splinters of glass just wasn't worth it in the long run. Looks nice good job!

I used the glass nips with the round blades. I didnt Have any issues with glass splinters or anything. I just Got the nips on the glass and scored it by moving the blades back and forth where I wanted To cut, then just cut and you get a nice even cut. Before I started Scoring them, I was Getting rounded cuts. 

Thanks, I think It’s turning out good so far. 

14 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I used the glass nips with the round blades. I didnt Have any issues with glass splinters or anything. I just Got the nips on the glass and scored it by moving the blades back and forth where I wanted To cut, then just cut and you get a nice even cut. Before I started Scoring them, I was Getting rounded cuts. 

Thanks, I think It’s turning out good so far. 

Great! I was using bigger tile and a saw. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Shortly after we bought our house we decided that we wanted to paint the kitchen and put a backsplash in. After a lot of looking, we decided on a glass and stone tile backsplash that matched our cabinets and quartz counter tops. Last weekend I picked Up all the stuff and we got started. I went Through and cut all of the tiles and labeled them so I knew Right where they would go. Tonight I started Putting them up. I think It’s turning out great so far. Not too bad to do. It’s not completely perfect but it’s pretty darn close. I should Have it down pretty good by the time I finish  

3C179234-64F5-48B9-81AE-2E69D714D449.jpeg

F2CCF425-3C02-40F6-86FF-33E2AAC3CB2A.jpeg

F92F38D4-C2B0-4414-AC58-5A1BFB94D428.jpeg

9E1FDD1A-9281-4756-9BAE-109C494F51A0.jpeg

I dont understand the blue tape.. wall mastic should hold them in place no problem.. did thousands of feet of wall tile for might taco in my youth...

On 2/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, G-Man said:

I dont understand the blue tape.. wall mastic should hold them in place no problem.. did thousands of feet of wall tile for might taco in my youth...

Those pics were when I was pre-cutting the sections, so no adhesive. The tape was holding them up while I cut other sections.

I wanted to get the tile all up this weekend, but Saturday my girlfriend got antsy and started painting. She continued yesterday as well. I cant do tile with wet paint everywhere. I asked her why she didnt wait and her answer was "because she didnt want to wait". I just shook my head and went and cleaned some rifles.

• Haha 2

Nice work John!  So cool when you tackle something you've never done before, and it comes out awesome!

My wife and your girlfriend are alike, in the way when they set their mind to doing something, just step back and let her go.

Took me a few years to learn that stress free approach though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Those pics were when I was pre-cutting the sections, so no adhesive. The tape was holding them up while I cut other sections.

Pre cutting seems like a ton of extra work.. usually find center lay it out and cut as you go.. I'd be afraid of using wrong piece in wrong place.. especially is area isn't square like it never is

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Pre cutting seems like a ton of extra work.. usually find center lay it out and cut as you go.. I'd be afraid of using wrong piece in wrong place.. especially is area isn't square like it never is

Its the same amount of work, I can just grab them quickly once I have the thinset on the wall instead of trying to fit them at that point. If you look at the pics, each wall is labeled with a letter and each section of tile has a designation on it (A1, A2, A3, etc) so that I know exactly which piece goes where. It worked out great.