Friendly Grouse (Again!)

Lawdwaz

I'm pretty sure this will be the fourth spring for this friendship.  How it's lived with coyotes, fox, fisher and countless others looking to make a meal out of it I'll never know.  I've posted pics before of this interaction and I hope it doesn't bore you.  The last two times down to my buddies my wife has been with me and she enjoys it too.  Yesterday two times it flew into the back of my wife and I (actually physically hitting us) when we would pull away on the 'wheeler.  I have video from my phone of one such "drive by" but it's to long for here.

6tqohbs.jpg

I swept the snow off this limb and got it to walk up to me.....

mGnGwxt.jpg

It has landed on the machine numerous times but I can never get my phone out in time.  Today I did.....

wuQeqMP.jpg

15-20 seconds is about all it will hang out for before jumping down..........

tj7GhvJ.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ruffed Grouse are an amazing species, ł wrote up my story in the Hunter Harassment thread a while back. 

Part of my long term land management plan is to improve habitat for these guys because they are so cool.

20161208_094838.jpg

20161208_094342.jpg

20160907_111718.jpg

37577.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In my humble opinion, the Ruffed Grouse is one of the coolest critters roaming our woods. One of the tastiest too, though I rarely hunt them anymore. Preferring to just admire them. Not as many around now as in years past.

I have had a couple close encounters with them too! But not for as long as the one Lawdwaz has! I remember the past posts for this. So cool!

This is the kind of stuff I come here for!!!

Thanks for keeping it real Larry.

• Like 3

Very damn cool!

Wouldn't bore me one bit if you posted your encounters with him EVERY day!

A buddy called me over to see a grouse that was stalking him years ago. Same deal with him on the wheeler.

I've never had that happen to me while alone in the woods though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

SEND IT!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Apparently it was aware that the season ended February 28, and that Larry was not a poacher.  Also, I think the coyote may be the grouse's best friend because they take out so many nest predators.  

Edited by wolc123