Pick A Stand Location

dbHunterNY

It's the off season so let's play a game. Great property from Hunterra maps with lots of options. Prevailing NW-W winds.

Pick YOUR TOP 3 SPOTS for hanging a treestand, putting up a tower blind, or ground blind? Much more fun if you give reasoning and thoughts behind it.

3941ac3fcd000e5ba12175ddd342ef82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm more interested in more qualified hunters opinions but I'll take a shot at this.

I would hang a treestand on J there seems to be a couple different ways to access and I like how to the east that finger sticks out. Would only hunt it when winds are low.

Tower blind C, numerous shooting lanes and with wind from NW there would be minimal problems. The south facing slope at the 2 o'clock position would be a nice spot on a cold day for a buck to bed. Seems like plenty of cover walking the wood line to the south for access in and out.

Ground Blind H, looks to me to be a travel corridor, three or four slight ridges to the south would help deflect that NW wind access might be a little issue. i'm not a ground blind person so my input isn't worth a crap when it comes to this.

• Like 1

Those are all places to scout , they all have potential based on the surroundings .  An aerial view is only so good , you need to get on the ground and look for food sources . If i had to just walk in and and hunt it would be A,E or D based on its close proximity to the creek . Once the rut hits ,all bets are off and they could be anywhere , i guess i would stick closer to the ag fields for the bucks dogging does who are still in a feeding routine ? 

• Like 1

My three cents. A gun blind on c,for the range and view there,looks like it would be easy to access as well.

J for a ground/brush blind,it looks like a bunch of ridges converge there,which seems like a good travel corridor.

E looks like a good spot,but i would move it closer to F so my scent wouldnt blow across the center of that gully. It would be very interesting to see what travels through those two gullys coming to and fro the river.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

M: accessed from road following ditch lets you get in without clearing the deer off the fields. Plant screen when you get to hedgerow and you could get into your stand with deer still feeding right in front of you. Prevailing winds are fine. Others depending on deer use that time of day can be huntable too. Multiple reasons make this a great stand for taking a fat doe or cruising buck. Just make sure you're not in a tree with no cover. get a hangon or ladder up in the limbs and make openings to shoot. other option is an closed up tower blind. 
O: access from river. Slow go up and across ridge top to stand, but winds will be consistent with direction they're bringing your scent versus going low. also late mornings getting out will likely have you in a position above any possibly bedded deer. This stand also functions as in "inside corner" that can put a lot of deer right in your lap.
Can hunt either stand M or O mornings or evenings if the deer give you reason to.
H: access similar to O late season or when hunting pressure keeps deer from the open fields. heavy early acorn drops will make it good too. You can catch them staging, working back and forth between bedding, and otherwise browsing around. high enough up the ridge gives a more consistent wind but still has you in reach with a gun. bowhunting likely has to be just above a particular run or set of runs between well used bedding. hunting the bottom will get you busted.

P: a likely spot most might pick but IMO not good. Thoughts are deer will be coming off big ag fields during early morning or late afternoon sits. That's probably true but no way to hunt with wind and not get busted by something unless there's a predominant travel path thru that deer are taking. You'll play cat and mouse with where to setup unless you get lucky. hinge or dropping trees to funnel travel might help but deer have a path in mind and often find holes in your road blocks that are easily enough to get through.

Other spots in my mind can be and probably are good. Like Jeremy said when the rut happens deer will use every inch of this map. still access is king. easily accessed stands are the first ones to get burned out and are eye candy for trespassers in my mind. others are hard to hunt without busting deer going in or out and at best letting many of them know you're there.  deer will still use the property but it's not helping your efforts much.

there's my 2 cents on my 3 top spots.  ...without boots on the ground or a nice buck patterned to cause me to look at anywhere specific.

• Like 1