Looking for a new Pickup

Marion

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That's my point. You truck is a 2.5 Ton truck then.

By the old standard, ya.  But it's still concerned a 1 ton. 

You'd think the F550 would be called a 2 ton, but I've never heard someone refer to them as that.  

Just now, mowin said:

By the old standard, ya.  But it's still concerned a 1 ton. 

You'd think the F550 would be called a 2 ton, but I've never heard someone refer to them as that.  

the old standard is dead, that's my point. it makes zero sense nowadays with all the different sizes of trucks.

Biz owns a pickup for a month and has the truck industry all figured out!  A F150 or a 1500 are half tons.  An F250 or 2500 are 3/4 tons.  It's tradition.  No reason to get all worked up!

It’s wrong though. The phrase is intended to align with payloads. So what is a Honda Ridgeline? Or Toyota Tacoma? tundra? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It’s wrong though. The phrase is intended to align with payloads. So what is a Honda Ridgeline? Or Toyota Tacoma? tundra? Etc.

They're not full-sized trucks, so their payload isn't important.  The phrase has been around longer than Biz has been alive.  If you want actual payloads you look them up.  The phrase just identifies the class.  

• Like 1

I bet you want to get rid of the Dewey Decimal System too?!?!?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I bet you want to get rid of the Dewey Decimal System too?!?!?

Well ,it’s alright to keep,that, for trivia questions , and the the like 

They're not full-sized trucks, so their payload isn't important.  The phrase has been around longer than Biz has been alive.  If you want actual payloads you look them up.  The phrase just identifies the class.  

That’s the point. The phrase is outdated. Besides Chevy and ford where do the other trucks fall in that “full size”?

You want each model to have its payload in its name?  Makes no sense.  It does accurately separate the classes of trucks.  

What other trucks?  Dodge, Toyota and Nissan all make full sized trucks. All US truck makers use 1500/2500 or 150/250 to designate half ton vs 3/4 ton etc.

Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, Ridgeline etc were never made for a payloads measured in tons.  

You don't like it, but it's been used for 50+ years and I really doubt that will change anytime soon.

You want each model to have its payload in its name?  Makes no sense.  It does accurately separate the classes of trucks.  
What other trucks?  Dodge, Toyota and Nissan all make full sized trucks. All US truck makers use 1500/2500 or 150/250 to designate half ton vs 3/4 ton etc.
Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, Ridgeline etc were never made for a payloads measured in tons.  
You don't like it, but it's been used for 50+ years and I really doubt that will change anytime soon.

Nissan and Toyota Use numbers?

They basically invented the pickup truck, so yeah.

I don’t think dodge or gmc ever use those phrases “half ton”, but maybe I’m wrong?

Edit: does Ford use it anymore? I never saw it mentioned when I was at the dealer

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don’t think dodge or gmc ever use those phrases “half ton”, but maybe I’m wrong?

No because Dodge rots away too fast, false advertising.

all kidding aside Biz Ram has 1500/2500/3500 on there trucks labeled accordingly

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So a Ford Ranger that has 1560-1860lbs payload (depending on the model), is 3/4 ton to 9/10's ton pickup truck? it makes no sense. It is not 1953 anymore. STOP USING THIS OUTDATED PHRASE!! 

I guess this was the point I was trying to make in general..   Go and put 1,560 - 1,860 pounds in your Ranger (I am a huge fan of the new Ranger, so nothing against the truck) and let me know what you think.  I am willing to bet you will not drive it down the road and feel safe.

I have personal experience with a Ram 1500 and F150.    Despite what the published payloads are, it is like night and day in reality...   The F150 can handle a lot more tongue weight and payload.   

The point was that they market payload, towing capacity, etc..  because it makes things sound good, but the reality is that 70% of the people that drive trucks never use them to those levels..

Edited by t_barb
  • Like 1

Just now, t_barb said:

I guess this was the point I was trying to make in general..   Go and put 1,560 - 1,860 pounds in your Ranger (I am a huge fan of the new Ranger, so nothing against the truck) and let me know what you think.  I am willing to bet you will not drive it down the road and feel safe.

I have personal experience with a Ram 1500 and F150.    Despite what the published payloads are, it is like night and day in reality...   The F150 can handle a lot more tongue weight and payload.   

The point ways that they market payload, towing capacity, etc..  because it makes things sound good, but the reality is that 70% of the people that drive trucks never use them to those levels..

Good point.  Also, most of the published payloads are put out by manufacturer.