Getting into a little trapping.

Something I always wanted to try and never seemed to get around to it. Seems like a good filler for after deer season and before spring. I am not going hog crazy. I have some properties that could use a few less coyote and fox and around my house I can certainly hit those and some coons. I attended the education class and already bought my license. 

We don't have a trapping section on the site that I saw anywhere so this may be more appropriate in the predator hunting section. 

If anyone has any old trapping items that a layign around and wanna turn them into some cash, let me know. lol. I am literally starting from ground zero. 

• Like 3

Subscribe to Fur Fish & Game, probably the best single resource for acquiring trapping skills and equipment. Trapping is a lot of fun and no better teacher about wildlife and their habits. Checking your line provides a lot of anticipation, excitement and surprises, like Forrest Gump's famous saying, it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Have fun and good luck.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

About ten years ago I took the trappers course...fascinating. I keep hoping to have the time during deer season when I am at my camp more consistently, to put out a few traps, but keep getting lazy. I would love to hook up with an experienced trapper to get rolling a bit. Over the years I have talked to quite a few, and most all are very welcoming to newcomers. I just lose track of the contacts.

You might look up to see if your county has a trappers association, and sit in on a few meetings. You may be able to meet up with someone to give a hand. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

About ten years ago I took the trappers course...fascinating. I keep hoping to have the time during deer season when I am at my camp more consistently, to put out a few traps, but keep getting lazy. I would love to hook up with an experienced trapper to get rolling a bit. Over the years I have talked to quite a few, and most all are very welcoming to newcomers. I just lose track of the contacts.

You might look up to see if your county has a trappers association, and sit in on a few meetings. You may be able to meet up with someone to give a hand. 

There are a couple near me. One where i took the course. I will be joining one of them. I am really trying to get my schedule to work. The big show is at the Herkimer County Fir Grounds in Frankfort, NY this weekend. I think Thursday-Saturday.

This will be the first year in many that I will not trap coons.  I have no need to, because I did not get any corn planted due to the record rainfalls this spring.    Those masked bandits are the most destructive thing there is on corn.   They start the chain of destruction by knocking down the stalks, taking a bite or two out each ear.  I used to think turkeys were part of the problem, but they do not bother the corn at all unless the coons knock it down for them.   

Fortunately, the racoon is about the easiest furbearer there is to trap, and it takes very little time and effort to eradicate them almost completely from an area.   One night I took (4) with a single box trap (two little ones inside, momma sitting on top -dispatched with a .22, and another little one nearby also taken out with  the .22).  Marshmello coated with peanut butter makes great bait in the box-traps.   The new dog-proof traps with a little cat-food in the bottom work wonders on those that get "trap-shy" from the box traps, of figure out how to swipe the bait without tripping the door.   

NY state allows a landowner to trap and kill "damaging" coons, prior to opening of trapping season, without a permit, as long as the carcasses are burried or burned.    I always start trapping them right about now, when I am growing corn.    If you go the "bury" route, dig deep holes or the coyotes will dig them up.   

Edited by wolc123

Search craigslist for people selling traps. If going strictly after fox and coyote I'd go 1.75's or 2's for coyote for sure. If trap springs are weak you can order new springs cheaply and install giving them new like holding power. Earth anchor cable stakes or x crossed 24" rebar. There's nightlatching pan , shock springs, shorter chains, all easy conversions on the coil springs.  Dinorocks is very knowledgable and I can put you in touch with him. We started trapping together over 35 years ago. He's still very active . I'm sure he'll be at Herkimer . I haven't set any steel in years. Hunting season gets in the way and tough to do both.  There's things you can do now to prevent traps from freezing in during winter such as making waxed dirt, buckwheat hulls , glycerine.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have some properties that could use a few less coyote and fox and around my house I can certainly hit those and some coons. I attended the education class and already bought my license. 

Trapping will be either a love or hate relationship. It can be very frustrating and rewarding. Probably the best and fastest way to learn is to tag along with someone else to get a sense of what to do. Once you get started you can improvise and develop your own techniques.

It can be very time consuming and weather can really affect your success. I find it interesting end enjoy it for a week or two but never could be a full time trapper. Just like deer hunting there is a TON of information out there and you just have to weed through it to find what fits your style and situation.

Not sure where "Stonestream" has been but him an Dinorocks seem to be the most diehard trappers on this forum.

A couple of sources if you are interested:

http://nytrappers.proboards.com/

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Something I always wanted to try and never seemed to get around to it. Seems like a good filler for after deer season and before spring. I am not going hog crazy. I have some properties that could use a few less coyote and fox and around my house I can certainly hit those and some coons. I attended the education class and already bought my license. 

We don't have a trapping section on the site that I saw anywhere so this may be more appropriate in the predator hunting section. 

If anyone has any old trapping items that a layign around and wanna turn them into some cash, let me know. lol. I am literally starting from ground zero. 

The NYS trapping show is at the Herkimer Co fairgrounds this weekend.  A buddy was just telling me about it.  He said its a great show - lots of equipment and seminars etc.  Might be a perfect place to get started