cover scent

twsted21

im thinking of using deer cane/ c'mere deer as a cover scent/ attractant. instead of using it as described i was thinking of buying the tinks scent bombs for doe urine and filling them with the liquid from the deer cane/ c'mere deer and placing 4 of them around the treestand. i figure if the deer cant eat it since it will be hanging in a tree it should be legal, what do you think? they say its the scent of the attractant that lures the deer to the mineral lick so im hoping it will work to bring them in.

Is apple scent bait then or not? What about acorn scent? Now you have me wondering...

If its not made for the deer to consume, its fine. The problem with Deer Cane and C'mere Deer is that people get confused because it says "attractant" on it. In reality, its basically crushed up mineral blocks with scent in it. Its made for the deer to eat it.

the law actually states that no scent that induces a deer to want to eat, according the the officer i talked to he stated it would actually be up the officer to issue a ticket, he said it could be used as a curiousity scent as long as the bottles arent filled to the point where it could be dumped on the ground in his eyes but another officer could see it differently, but he said he doesnt see any officers trying to stick their noses in containers that are supposed to hold deer urine. lol

Actually, this is what the DEC says about Deer Cain and other "dissolving powders" like C'Mere Deer...

Q:  What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?

A:  You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for  deer hunting.  However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral  lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year.  It is also illegal to feed deer.    Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving  powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may  entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant.    These types of produces would not be legal.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

So basically, if your liquid hits the ground, a tree, grass, a bush, etc you are breaking the law. Why bother pushing it like that with all of the other legal attractants and scents out there? I have my gut feeling as to why, but Ill keep that to myself.

So basically, if your liquid hits the ground, a tree, grass, a bush, etc you are breaking the law.

exactly so if it doesnt hit the ground and stays on the wicks it can be used as a curiosity scent, this is the bad thing about nys laws theres too many gray areas. we can read the same law and see it 2 or 3 different ways. so if i can get an edge in hunting deer legally why wouldn't i use it??

Interesting discussion. So is it illegal to possess these baits or is it just illegal to use it as bait. In other words if it is kept from any possibility of contact with deer (as in the example in the original post) is it still fitting the definition of "baiting".

I have often wondered about farmers with their salt blocks. Technically it is a bait but because the intent is not "baiting", the blocks are legal to possess and distribute for the farmer's critters. It would be a different story if the farmer were to be caught shooting a deer that had been attracted to it. So in that case the decision that illegal baiting is taking place seems to based on use rather than simple possession. :-\

BTW, I see guys buying that stuff all the time in Gander Mountain, actually saw one of the guys that lives and hunts right near my Dad's land in there buying 6 bags of it. The local DEC officer got a voicemail about it along with the info on where the guy's land is located.

You can buy it but its not legal. I stopped at Dicks on my way up to camp last week. Was looking for something to put in a late season food plot. The guy at the counter leans over and in a low voice says " food plots are frowned upon in NYS, that's why we don't sell the product" he then says go try agway. I found the stuff I needed at a great feed and grain store in Arkport. Funny how you can buy these attractants but it's illegal to use them.

So basically, if your liquid hits the ground, a tree, grass, a bush, etc you are breaking the law.

exactly so if it doesnt hit the ground and stays on the wicks it can be used as a curiosity scent, this is the bad thing about nys laws theres too many gray areas. we can read the same law and see it 2 or 3 different ways. so if i can get an edge in hunting deer legally why wouldn't i use it??

Because if the wind blows to hard, its spills and you are illegal. Like I already said, why not stick with something 100% legal that will give you the same advantage?

Ill be honest here and say that it sounds to me like you are just trying to justify buying the stuff, and Id bet money that after you do, it ends up being used exactly like most people use it.

BTW, I see guys buying that stuff all the time in Gander Mountain, actually saw one of the guys that lives and hunts right near my Dad's land in there buying 6 bags of it. The local DEC officer got a voicemail about it along with the info on where the guy's land is located.

You can buy it but its not legal. I stopped at Dicks on my way up to camp last week. Was looking for something to put in a late season food plot. The guy at the counter leans over and in a low voice says " food plots are frowned upon in NYS, that's why we don't sell the product" he then says go try agway. I found the stuff I needed at a great feed and grain store in Arkport. Funny how you can buy these attractants but it's illegal to use them.

The guy at Dick's is full of you know what. Food plots are not frowned upon in NY.

At Gander Mtn, Ive heard employees describing to people how to get better pics on their trail cams by using Acorn Rage and all of the various baits they sell there. Ive walked up to them before and told them that they should be warning people that the stuff is illegal to use in NY. Then I looked at their display of customer trail cam pics, and saw troughs in front of them full of bait.

I dont understand why the stores in this state can sell the stuff at all. Want to use it in another state where its legal? Buy it there.

i see where your coming from and how you can see it as bait, but the definition is fairly open to discussion, like if i only have enough on the wicks to make them wet and not dripping i see it as a curiosity scent, if its sitting there being poured out i see it as baiting. i know the companies are coming out with the aerosol can sprays now (like buck bomb but its c'mere deer). i just wish nys would tighten up the definition of their laws. is baiting just when you put something out for the deer to eat or is it baiting when you spray something into the air that smells like food?? and in nys i was told its legal to own the stuff just illegal to use it, just makes no sense.

i see where your coming from and how you can see it as bait, but the definition is fairly open to discussion, like if i only have enough on the wicks to make them wet and not dripping i see it as a curiosity scent, if its sitting there being poured out i see it as baiting. i know the companies are coming out with the aerosol can sprays now (like buck bomb but its c'mere deer). i just wish nys would tighten up the definition of their laws. is baiting just when you put something out for the deer to eat or is it baiting when you spray something into the air that smells like food?? and in nys i was told its legal to own the stuff just illegal to use it, just makes no sense.

I agree, they should not allow the sale of it in the state, and should be more clear with their definitions. Either that or just legalize baiting and forget about it.

I agree, they should not allow the sale of it in the state, and should be more clear with their definitions. Either that or just legalize baiting and forget about it.

We dont want that to happen. My best friend moved to Michigan and he says baiting has ruined hunting there. He doesn't bait but everyone else does and he says it sucks!

Thats pretty much just like people here that dont put in food plots and say the same thing though.

Im not for or against baiting, Im just for staying legal with it. If its not legal to bait, then dont do it, if it is legal, enjoy.

We dont want that to happen. My best friend moved to Michigan and he says baiting has ruined hunting there. He doesn't bait but everyone else does and he says it sucks!

Can you explain a bit more about how the baiting ruined the hunting? Was it because all the baiting around him was drawing the deer away from his property or what?