Roadkill... best attractant there is and free!!

G-Man

Looking for fresh road kill deer.. best attractant and free you can get ,the tarsal off the rear legs.  If not bloodied up.can get 2 or 3 hunts out of one depending on how hot it is . I use one and freeze one. As long as it's from over a mile.from your hunting area it works!! Doenst matter if doe or buck all deer come to see who is new deer in the area. Bonus If doe in heat. Can be a bummer if it's big buck will scare 

You can also get them from a friend who is lucky early.if they hunt different  area, try them gloves and a zip tie thru to hang 2 to 3 ft off ground up wind from your stand.. you won't be disappointed

• Like 6

I stop for tails (for making bass jigs), but never bother with the tarsals.  If it is a fresh kill, I take the whole thing for the meat.  The state police never mind getting a carcass tag for me.   A town cop gave me a funny look once, when I walked up to the desk at the station, dripping with blood, and asked for a tag.   He asked me if the deer had to be shot (the homeowner had called it in a few hours prior).  I replied, "no, I killed it with my knife".   His only words as he filled out the tag, was: "that would be no".   That particular doe sprang back up on her feet, as I was getting ready to cut her tail.  I had to hop on her back, put her in a hammer lock, and slit her throat with a very sharp 1-1/4" blade pocket knife.    As she bucked me off, she landed a hoof to my  leg, which caused a little pain and some swelling.   The butcher later claimed that he had not ever cut up a cleaner deer.  She must have hit her head on some unfortunate motorist's vehicle, and knocked herself out for a little while, until I woke her up when I lifted her tail.      

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I stop for tails (for making bass jigs), but never bother with the tarsals.  If it is a fresh kill, I take the whole thing for the meat.  The state police never mind getting a carcass tag for me.   A town cop gave me a funny look once, when I walked up to the desk at the station, dripping with blood, and asked for a tag.   He asked me if the deer had to be shot (the homeowner had called it in a few hours prior).  I replied, "no, I killed it with my knife".   His only words as he filled out the tag, was: "that would be no".   That particular doe sprang back up on her feet, as I was getting ready to cut her tail.  I had to hop on her back, put her in a hammer lock, and slit her throat with a very sharp 1-1/4" blade pocket knife.    As she bucked me off, she landed a hoof to my  leg, which caused a little pain and some swelling.   The butcher later claimed that he had not ever cut up a cleaner deer.  She must have hit her head on some unfortunate motorist's vehicle, and knocked herself out for a little while, until I woke her up when I lifted her tail.      

So what you are saying is maybe the deer was just stunned and you decided to kill it. Sounds like poaching to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 8:32 PM, wolc123 said:

that must have been an epic scene. wish it was on video!

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

that must have been an epic scene. wish it was on video!

It probably would have made a good video.  It certainly made a bloody mess in the snow of that front yard.

4 hours ago, Chef said:

So what you are saying is maybe the deer was just stunned and you decided to kill it. Sounds like poaching to me

More of a "mercy killing", as that doe would have suffered a bad concussion at minimum.   Hunting by conventional means is outlawed in that particular town, which also bans the discharge of firearms.   Anyhow, it was more than 25 years ago, so surely the statute of limitations has expired on the "poach", and like I said, we drove immediately to the police station where I admitted to the "crime" after it occurred.    Back then, when I was young and single, my venison needs were much less than they are today.   I made sure all of that one went to someone who needed it and it was very much appreciated.  Looking back, I am thankful that the deer was not dead, and I have zero regrets of what I did.   In addition to me getting a free tail, a family in need got meat, the highway department was spared some dirty work, and a butcher got an easy job to do.   

• Like 1

hoping you don't coach any kind  of hockey or football team :pleasantry:

Hahah you beat me to this one. I was gunna say if we are killing people for concussions now the NFL wouldn’t exist any more

On 10/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

So many comments, so little time....

And I thought the deer had to be put down by conservation or peace officer out of season. What the hell was I thinking?

12 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

And I thought the deer had to be put down by conservation or peace officer out of season. What the hell was I thinking?

Just like you are supposed to drive under the speed limit.   Some "rules" are not enforced 100 %, as was the case here.   Have you ever seen a peace officer finish off a road kill with their service pistol ?  I hear that can be pretty entertaining at times.   I bet that the town cops were thankful they did not need to subject themselves to that potential embaressment in this case.  That might explain the desk officer's indifferent attitude when I turned myself in.  

Now I always carry a pocket knife with a blade ground down to 1", just in case I ever get the chance to "best" my previous record. 

Sounds like a typical date when I was younger, except for the KNIFE part... Called getting a little "tail"....

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 5:34 PM, G-Man said:

Looking for fresh road kill deer.. best attractant and free you can get ,the tarsal off the rear legs.  If not bloodied up.can get 2 or 3 hunts out of one depending on how hot it is . I use one and freeze one. As long as it's from over a mile.from your hunting area it works!! Doenst matter if doe or buck all deer come to see who is new deer in the area. Bonus If doe in heat. Can be a bummer if it's big buck will scare 

You can also get them from a friend who is lucky early.if they hunt different  area, try them gloves and a zip tie thru to hang 2 to 3 ft off ground up wind from your stand.. you won't be disappointed

So this works with a buck or doe?