Why?

Forest Hunter

Why do stores have things that are just practically illegal to use? Deer blocks, deer feed and some broadheads? Why do companies sell them in New York when they're intended use is illegal in New York. I mean I see mineral licks called "Deer Block" and bags with "Deer Feed" on it. Why even sell them in New York if they're illegal to use. I might as well buy it at my own risk if I use any of it since it should have "WARNING Using this prouduct as intended is illegal". Does anyone else have this cross their mind?

Thanks

Forest Hunter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DEC requires sporting goods stores to sell illegal bait because there is always some dim witted fool who will not read the rule book or some unscrupulous sportsman who will think they can get away with it forever and buy it for " Agricultural use ". This in turn leads to more tickets and more revenu for the DEC coffers.  :D  Seriously its not illegal to sell in NY ( usually with a for "Agricultural use" only sign on it.) Just use.

Automobile manufactrers make vehicles that go over the posted speed limits, which is also illegal.  It is all about choice.  Most greedy people who hunt will use any edge they think they can get away with for bragging rights.  If people did not buy them, retailers would not sell them. 

I have heard store workers explaining to customers how to use the bait in front of a trail cam to get more pictures. I have also walked up to them and advised them that it is illegal to bait deer at any time of the year.

Whats amazing is how many people think its legal to do so...  Just last week I called the guy who did my roof because of a loose tile.  He is a hunter and we were bs'ing, and boom he goes yeah I got the trail cam's out they love the corn.  I was like eh? He goes i drop a bag of corn.  I said its illegal, and he proceeds to tell me its 100% legal in the off season.  They really need to do a refresher course or something every once in a while.  At least make you read some stuff before printing out a license.

the sports Authority by me had  a bunch of it. some one called DEC they showed up and gave them 2 hours to remove it from the shelves or get a ticket it was off the self's in 15 minuets .no one that worked in that store at the time had any ider it was illegal to sell or use . I was talking to the guy that ran the out door section and he told me they did not do any ordering it all came from there headquarters so they just put out what comes off the trucks  papabear

I sent an email to the DEC about it. Ill let you know what they reply with. Heres the email I sent...

"I am a little confused about the DEC policy on bait for  deer. DEC states that baiting and supplemental feeding of deer is illegal any  time of the year, yet many stores carry products that are sold for nothing  other than to bait, attract and feed deer. For example, Gander Mountain in  Henrietta has 2 aisles dedicated to products like C’mere Deer, Deer Caine,  Acorn Rage, Trophy Rocks and many other brands of bait and mineral licks. I  have heard employees of the store explain to customers just how to use these products  to attract deer to trail cameras, etc and tell them that they use it with their  cams near their homes. A few times I have walked over and tried to explain that  using those products is illegal in NY, only to have the customer or employee  tell me that they believe that it is fine to use any time other than during  open deer seasons. I know that is not true, and that those people are mistaken.  Every time I go into Gander Mountain, I see people walking out with bags and  jugs of the stuff. My confusion is why does the DEC allow those products to be  sold in the state, if its not legal to use in the state? Seems to me that  people think they can use it because they can buy it here. 

Thanks,

John"

I've seen it sold in Gander Mtn in Kingston and they are always fully stocked.  Yet, I have not seen anyone buying it in all my years of going there. I guess there are still some ethical hunters out there who appreciate and enjoy fair chase. Even if it were legal to use in NY I don't think I would use it since my stands are on the perimeter of a huge cornfield. I prefer natural bait over the man made stuff any day.

I sent an email to the DEC about it. Ill let you know what they reply with. Heres the email I sent...

"I am a little confused about the DEC policy on bait for  deer. DEC states that baiting and supplemental feeding of deer is illegal any  time of the year, yet many stores carry products that are sold for nothing  other than to bait, attract and feed deer. For example, Gander Mountain in  Henrietta has 2 aisles dedicated to products like C’mere Deer, Deer Caine,  Acorn Rage, Trophy Rocks and many other brands of bait and mineral licks. I  have heard employees of the store explain to customers just how to use these products  to attract deer to trail cameras, etc and tell them that they use it with their  cams near their homes. A few times I have walked over and tried to explain that  using those products is illegal in NY, only to have the customer or employee  tell me that they believe that it is fine to use any time other than during  open deer seasons. I know that is not true, and that those people are mistaken.  Every time I go into Gander Mountain, I see people walking out with bags and  jugs of the stuff. My confusion is why does the DEC allow those products to be  sold in the state, if its not legal to use in the state? Seems to me that  people think they can use it because they can buy it here. 

Thanks,

John"

Good idea, can't wait to hear the response.

Thanks,

John"

Just look in the Q&A section in the back of this years syllabus.  The third question from the bottom.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/q-a-with-the-environmental-conservation-police/

Thanks,

John"

Just look in the Q&A section in the back of this years syllabus.  The third question from the bottom.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/q-a-with-the-environmental-conservation-police/

Im just curious as to what they will say. I have seen what they put in the regs and heard what others have heard.

The same reason they release cougars for the insurance companies.  8)  Seriously though, I hear some version of the "DEC made them pull it off the shelves" story every year.  Notice you never hear it from someone who worked at the store, it's always someone who heard it from someone else who was there.  I'll bet if you went back 2000 years you'd hear a couple of centurions standing around yacking about how Terseus lopped off the heads of some Carthaginian prisoners...

Sorry, just watched Band of Brothers again. ;)

I emailed the DEC last year about a C-list ad that was selling feed and specifically advertising it for use in baiting deer.  The response I got was basically that it was not illegal to sell or possess, just to actually use.

Question: At my local sporting goods store I see a variety of commercial deer foods for sale. Are they legal to sell?

Answer: Although feeding wild deer is illegal at any time, commercial deer feed can be used for domestic animals. Therefore, it is still legal for sale.

The DEC in any state has no authority to restrict the sale of any commercial product that is not illegal.  They only have the power to control how it is used.  It is not illegal to sell it in NY or any other state.

The DEC in any state has no authority to restrict the sale of any commercial product that is not illegal.  They only have the power to control how it is used.  It is not illegal to sell it in NY or any other state.

They would, however, have the authority or contacts to make it the law to post signs explaining the law on the shelves where the products are sold. At least that would make those that use it aware that it is in fact, illegal in this state.