Hair - No Blood. What happened?

Curmudgeon

2 hours ago, Belo said:

sounds like you just pulled it man. maybe jerked instead of squeezed the trigger?

I do not think so. 

Virgil - I didn't hit the blind though I appreciate any suggestions.

Spin testing: I could pop them in a metal lathe pretty easy. However, if I know how each bolt behaves, and they are consistent performers, would I not use my best performing bolt because it isn't perfectly straight?  

Sounds like one or both blades deployed at the shot causing bolt to go high.rage re did their crossbow collars to solve this issue. I dont know how old your rage head was but if it was year or 2 old it could be bad collar or it degraded a bit just during to age. The only issues I've had with rages was premature deployment, caused by wear on collar putting it in and out of quiver or a factory fault.my new  Crossbow heads now have heavy black collar.vs the orange ones

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Sounds like one or both blades deployed at the shot causing bolt to go high.rage re did their crossbow collars to solve this issue. I dont know how old your rage head was but if it was year or 2 old it could be bad collar or it degraded a bit just during to age. The only issues I've had with rages was premature deployment, caused by wear on collar putting it in and out of quiver or a factory fault.my new  Crossbow heads now have heavy black collar.vs the orange ones

The collars are the only reason I don't use Rage heads. I know tons of hunters kill tons of deer with em. But.....I'd be the one where something would go wrong no doubt!

Curmudgeon seems to have my luck.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, G-Man said:

So are you saying that the rage heads for a bow will not work on crossbow.  I planned on doing exactly that at least until I shot the crossbow today and decided I shoot a compound as well if not better to 50yds. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So are you saying that the rage heads for a bow will not work on crossbow.  I planned on doing exactly that at least until I shot the crossbow today and decided I shoot a compound as well if not better to 50yds. 

Out to 40ish, my max hunting distance for either. I too shoot my compound as well if not better than my crossbow.

From Saturday morning, I was alternating hunts between the two.

Will try for a doe with the compound this weekend.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Noooo. They will deploy premature if the x bow shoots faster than normal compound speeds.

I'll shoot my compound to 65 or so , my crossbow 40.. confidence issues..

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

The collars for x bow broadheads are a little thicker.. and orange. black is the normal for compounds  . Orange  come on crossbow marked broadheads. For what it's worth. Black collars wont fit on crossbow  broadhead . 

I shoot Rage xtreme crossbow heads. Got them for Christmas last year - black collars. Pic is from Amazon's site.

61ocgs3g8kL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry

16 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Things are better this morning. I took yesterday off. I planned to quit by 9 am this morning because of the forecast. She was hanging before that. After a tea break, I'll skin her out. She dressed at 115#. The conversion says 152 live weight.

DSC02848.JPG

Congratulations.  Do you think there's any chance this is the same deer from the other day?

• Like 1

No Virgil. Different deer. I was hunting on your side of 51 today, watching where the deer exit our common neighbor's corn. They head north to the deer sanctuary first thing in the morning. On a south wind, they are vulnerable. 

I'm giving my blind another day of rest. Besides the miss, I was busted by another doe when the wind swirled around Tuesday. 

Tomorrow I've got to cut her up because it will be very cold. I'll probably go out on Saturday if Yosemite Steve will help me cut up the next one. 

28 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Things are better this morning. I took yesterday off. I planned to quit by 9 am this morning because of the forecast. She was hanging before that. After a tea break, I'll skin her out. She dressed at 115#. The conversion says 152 live weight.

DSC02848.JPG

Congratulations sir! Great shot on a beautiful doe!! Redemption is sweet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Great ! Congrats !

Now, out of curiosity, did you aim low / heart shot ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Not on this one. She was closer than15 yards, maybe 12. I put it dead center vertically and the entry wound is an inch or 2 higher than that. I do plan to aim lower on long shots.

Another thing that may have affected the deer Tuesday, wind was swirling. The missed deer was nervous. 

Not on this one. She was closer than15 yards, maybe 12. I put it dead center vertically and the entry wound is an inch or 2 higher than that. I do plan to aim lower on long shots.
Another thing that may have affected the deer Tuesday, wind was swirling. The missed deer was nervous. 
I'm telling ya, heart shot, 5 yards or 55 yards. You will never regret it. Burn it in to your brain. I actually wrote it on my dad's xbow.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've seen the doe I missed. She is healthy. I shot at her left side. From the right, she appears to have a quarter size hole in the hair above her spine. The look on the other side is much different. On the side I shot at, it looks like someone took a shear and removed a 6 or 8 inch line of hair. I could see no sign of bleeding or damage to the skin. This is on a curved surface.  The removed hair starts below the spine and goes over the top.

I now think the member who suggest the Rage blades deployed early was correct. Possibly the arrow was wobbling in flight and a one blade dragged along the skin, not cutting through but cutting the hair. Whatever happened, it is weird. That deer acting normal and healthy is a good end to a bad situation. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 5:37 PM, blackbeltbill said:

Larry- Dude- that was just so wrong and below the belt!

I look at it this way Bill: Some people consider missing a normal part of hunting - people like Larry. Others consider it a rare and unacceptable situation that needs to be analyzed and understood so it be avoided in the future. I appreciate all the sincere help I received from members. Thanks guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 4:54 PM, Curmudgeon said:

I look at it this way Bill: Some people consider missing a normal part of hunting - people like Larry. Others consider it a rare and unacceptable situation that needs to be analyzed and understood so it be avoided in the future. I appreciate all the sincere help I received from members. Thanks guys. 

truth be told i think it's both. I think it is part of hunting, and I also think one should never shrug it off and not try and learn and get better from it.