Cold Weather Gear Recommendations

monahmat

I've been putting off buying good cold weather gear for way to long. Up until now I've been wearing 6 layers of mid weight gear and still freeze as the wind cuts right through it.  So now I'm shopping the holiday sales looking for good cold weather gear.  The main purpose is stand sitting in temps below 30°.  Primarily I'll be shooting rifle/muzzle loader but if I can draw a bow with it even better.  Anyone have recommendations?  I've been looking at the FirstLite Sanctuary jacket and bibs, Kiuiu Super Down Jacket and Pants and the Sitka Incinerator jacket and bibs.  I was originally leaning towards Sitka but it's double the cost of FirstLite and Kiuiu and I'm skeptical as to if it's twice as good.  I'm open to any recommendations.

I can't answer for the other two but I have the incinerator suit. I typically wear the light and heavy core base layers with it and am pretty comfy. If need be, i also have some sitka hoodies i can also add to the layering which i have not needed as of yet. All i can say is i wish sitka made socks and boots...lol. i typically am treestand sitting for 3 to 5 hours at a time and at 2000+ elevation in the catskills. I need to leave the bibs and jacket open when getting to my stands 150-400 yards away. Have sat in 16 to 25 degree weather with 15mph plus winds and was still warm. Thats my experience with the sitka incineraror. The gortex inside it is a little noisy to me, but the 8 pointer i shot didnt seem to mind a bit. Additionally, the suit is light, the cores are light and i didnt feel like an overstuffed snow clown wearing it like i did with my 30 year old browning stuff. Love my sitka gear!

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Base layers with an exterior suit that blocks the wind. Was surprised at how light the sitka bases were and kept me warm. Used to wear the duofold expedition weight and was always cold with them. Sitka...not so much.

Edited by Engraver99

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thanks, this post was particularly helpful.  I definitely like the way the Kuiu Super Down packs.  At the moment I'm torn between FirstLite and Kuiu.  I don't qualify for the Leo Adventures and Sitka sales aren't on the gear I'm looking for.  Hard to justify Sitka at full price.  I can get both the Kuiu Super Down Ultra and Pro for the cost of the Sitka Incinerator.

Thanks, this post was particularly helpful.  I definitely like the way the Kuiu Super Down packs.  At the moment I'm torn between FirstLite and Kuiu.  I don't qualify for the Leo Adventures and Sitka sales aren't on the gear I'm looking for.  Hard to justify Sitka at full price.  I can get both the Kuiu Super Down Ultra and Pro for the cost of the Sitka Incinerator.

I thought the same thing till I got the fanatic jacket. Honestly if you have good midlayers already just start with the fanatic jacket and add from there.

It is the single best piece of outdoor clothing I own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

I thought the same thing till I got the fanatic jacket. Honestly if you have good midlayers already just start with the fanatic jacket and add from there.

It is the single best piece of outdoor clothing I own

XXL or 3XL?  How's the fit?

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

XXL or 3XL?  How's the fit?

For what it’s worth Larry, Sitka 3xl fits me pretty good generally.   Definitely a bit more of an athletic cut.   I have stratus jacket and bibs, incinerator bibs, down pour jacket and pants and fanatic vest among a few other items all in 3xl. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, monahmat said:

For what it's worth I'll probably get a pair of incinerator bibs someday.  Like I wrote up in that thread, opening day I got COLD after 4 hours.  I plan on getting that wind/rain layer to go over the ultra down, next year.  Pretty damn hefty buy in price to get a complete layering system.

41 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

For what it's worth I'll probably get a pair of incinerator bibs someday.  Like I wrote up in that thread, opening day I got COLD after 4 hours.  I plan on getting that wind/rain layer to go over the ultra down, next year.  Pretty damn hefty buy in price to get a complete layering system.

USRN, if your are a XXL, check out https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Sitka-Incinerator-Bib-Optifade-Ground-Forest?Sizes=1301

I was going to get it, but I can't find the matching jacket or parka.

• Thanks 1

Tried a bunch of suits, prob in the other threads somewhere, but the Arctic shield jacket and bibs has done the trick for me. I am ALWAYS cold so it's a solid review. I liked it so much I bought new suit a few years back because the camo pattern changed. They are also one of the cheapest suits out there... Give it a try and save the money

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Tried a bunch of suits, prob in the other threads somewhere, but the Arctic shield jacket and bibs has done the trick for me. I am ALWAYS cold so it's a solid review. I liked it so much I bought new suit a few years back because the camo pattern changed. They are also one of the cheapest suits out there... Give it a try and save the money

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I have two Arctic Shield outfits, one reg camo and one snow camo! I don't feel so alone anymore.Thanks, TG. 

• Like 1

I love the design of the Fanatic but the cut didn't work for me. If that's how all Sitka gear is cut then that may eliminate them. I tried on a Fanatic about 5 years ago and the size that fit best was baggy in the chest near the armpits to where I didn't feel I'd be able to properly shoulder my gun. Maybe I'm oddly shaped, I ran into the same issue with Cabela's Wooltimate. Right now I'm wearing MidwayUSA Prairie Creek stuff which fits great but weighs a ton and takes forever to dry.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

why? incinerator jacket too warm?

I just really love the set up of the fanatic jacket with the built in Muff pocket, the other chest pocket, how quiet the material is, and how easy it is to draw a bow in that jacket. I truly feel it is the best piece of outdoor gear i own across any activity I do

24 minutes ago, monahmat said:

I love the design of the Fanatic but the cut didn't work for me. If that's how all Sitka gear is cut then that may eliminate them. I tried on a Fanatic about 5 years ago and the size that fit best was baggy in the chest near the armpits to where I didn't feel I'd be able to properly shoulder my gun. Maybe I'm oddly shaped, I ran into the same issue with Cabela's Wooltimate. Right now I'm wearing MidwayUSA Prairie Creek stuff which fits great but weighs a ton and takes forever to dry.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Prefer an athletic fit?  The KUIU stuff runs a bit small.  Especially if you used to power lift.