Ny feral hogs in the national news

132 eight pointer

The russian boar thrives in Siberia. That's not to say that they don't have winter mortality just like our deer do, but apparently they are quite winter-hearty and can handle snow depths and low temperatures good enough to survive in climates much more harsh than anything we can dish out.

Some of the varieties other than the russian boars ....... who knows? Perhaps some of that winter-toughness has been bred out of them. Let's hope so.

funny how right away they wanna close hunting ranches because of the wild boar problem. also the part about them never really becoming as populated here as down south because of our winters is somthing i have always believed.

I don't remeber them saying they want to close hunting ranches they just want to stop the import of the pigs. Which if you where a farmer and lost crop to them I bet you would say stop the import process also. I think they would be fun to hunt but we don't need them in NY. They say they just eat eat and eat more if yo guys have food plots it isn't going to be pretty.

we have a local population here that did I guess escape from a local hunting ranch. The other funny part is they have migrated to a farm that they do not allow hunting. Due to the way they have tore up the farm, they are begging people to come in and get the hogs gone. They are staying around there to eat the animals not allowed to be hunted there. A local ECO is trying to organize a couple hunts to help with dogs,or over bait. He says anything goes. However I question baiting then getting a ticket for baiting deer. I have been invited to one of the hunts, and I think I may participate just for the experience.

I don't remeber them saying they want to close hunting ranches they just want to stop the import of the pigs. Which if you where a farmer and lost crop to them I bet you would say stop the import process also. I think they would be fun to hunt but we don't need them in NY. They say they just eat eat and eat more if yo guys have food plots it isn't going to be pretty.

Yeah, these things rank right up there with Gypsy moth caterpillars and African killer bees and the long list of other things that we have foolishly imported and now wish were gone. There should be some kind of board of review that passes judgement in any case where someone wants to import any non-native species or anything that is known to be or possibly can be destructive. However, for NYS and many other states, it sounds like that sort of thing is a little late.

I couldn't find the article on the D&C site but there was one in today's paper about Feral Hogs .

"NY trapped and removed 44 feral swine in Cortland and Onondaga counties in 2008 & 2009 but that effort ended when the stste's budget got tight .Now authorities are working to build public awareness of the problem and encourage people to report sightings as well as urging hunters to shoot them any time of the year ."