NY PIGS RUNNING WILD!

BizCT

Are they a problem in Russia (parts similar to NY) like we hear from the south in the USA?

I agree - would shoot any I see.

But I am starting to think the hysteria about what might happen is not being supported by

what is happening. Just a great headline.

Edited by SteveB

The FEW that are around hardly warrents a title "Runnibg Wild".

Pawle - what you say is true in southern climates. Are they any places in the world where the southern hog problem exists in a climate like NY's?

Well I think Russian boars live in very cold climates and as far as I know they do very well. From what I've heard the hogs in this country are starting to have more and more traits of Russian Boar. Someone was rumored to have brought over Russian boars and released a bunch into the wild here. So I would think our hogs would most certainly thrive in a climate like NY.

I live less then 10 miles from where they first escaped several years ago.

Still extremely rare for them to be seen, let alone killed. And I know of no one who

knows enough about them to be able to target them and realisticaly expect to kill one or

even see one. Even finding sign is rare and when you do, you can't coint on finding more there at a future date.

Can they live here? Certainely.

Thrive? Doesn't seem to be happening after several years.

Of course maybe all the mountain lions are keeping them in check :)

I'm not sure they will ever get as dense as they are in the southern states. And perhaps they don't have to to become a severe ecological and economical problem. They are simply another invasive species that has the potential to cause havoc among local native species and the environment if ignored and allowed establish and to build in population density. That potential may be over-stated, or maybe not. I'm not a biologist, so I can only go by what the real biologists are saying. One thing is for sure if the DEC is right about the threat, undoing the problem may be a lot more impossible than trying to stop the threat before it develops. They don't belong here ..... I have no problem with trying to eradicate them. Also, I think some rather severe restrictions should be put on those that raise them here. Those restrictions should provide for very harsh penalties for those that allow them to escape.

By the way, what is the purpose for anyone to be raising them in this state anyway? Is it to sell them to stock some of these canned-hunt game farms?

Money doc that is the reason they are in the states? That drives everybody. Sometimes the end result is sad because of it.

No, I was asking about what market these hogs are sold to. It wouldn't be for meat unless there is a market in restaurants for exotic species. I could see them being valuable for stocking the canned hunt outlets. But I'm just curious about why such game farms were ever established here in the first place.

i cant wait till they get to my area...

i think they will be good for hunting....

i dont see why we could not have a sustainable herd here in NY, just because they cant control there pig problem in a handfull of southern states doesnt mean we couldnt maintain a sustainable healthy herd up here in NY, would be a great resource. heck we do almost everything better than they do down south anyhow, Heck this is NY!!!

Edited by sits in trees

I guess I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't thrive in NYS. Their Russian cousins do pretty well in Siberia and grow to amazing sizes. Our climate is pretty darn nice compared to Siberia ...... lol. At any rate, those with some pretty good biological credentials are panicked at the thought of them becoming established here. They just may be right. :no2:

Hey fellas i have not even seen any hogs or pigs in NewYork except farm raised has anyone my family loves pork where are they

According to some they are running wild. Shouldn't be too hard too find them if true. :D

Edited by SteveB

I would think someone should have some trail camera picks if the are RUNING WILD. I don't think these guys are going to have a problem inhabiting ny.

Doc as for a market I think the only market they where brought into this country for is for hunting them. I think if they grow like the southern states we will have a problem. It will be interesting to see how they grow and if they take hold.