Lighted Nocks

Rev Ev

So I searched the forums, and couldn't believe there wasn't anything on this. Maybe I missed it, but I was just looking for some experienced opinions on using lighted nocks. The videos are impressive and most of the reviews I see put Firenock as the brightest and longest lasting. They affect your arrow flight or FOC much?

HI I purchased some a few years ago and just could not seem to get them to work. A buddy came over and siad let me install and have you shoot a bag target. The nock lit up, and he then showed me how to get the light to go off. SO I now have 3 arrows in the bow quiver with the light attached. I also went and got the new vanes they say, can be seen in flight, $ 12.95 for 36 vanes, they saw me coming. They do as you look at the vanes at full draw seem to have a glow about them but forget it when you release. NO even close to what you see with a lighted nock...

I've used the luminocks for 4 years ..i prefer the green. last 40 hr or so. work great! makes finding an arrow a lot easier after the sun sets especially in long grass. I've only had 1 arrow not pass through a deer and it was neat to watch the deer run with the arrow lit up! of course when it died it lay nock side down.. :( but it gave me a good bearing to find the blood trail and find the deer rapidly... I have a friend that use some kind of magnet activated nock and they worked fine till he travel to camp and realized that vibration also turned them on in the bed of his truck..wasn't to happy as they were on for quite awhile.

I bought a set of the CX lighted nocks. Have not tested them out with my bow but they seem to be pretty bright. Turn on when arrow is released and stay lit until you turn them off by pulling slightly back. Reviews were good and they're cheaper than Lumenok and Tracer. Got them at Dicks on sale 2 for $10

The last 5 years I have bought 6 Lumenocks. 90% of them worked great buy sometimes you have sand the end of your arrow to make them work well. last year I bought 2 Nocturnal nocks and they worked great. Plus the Nocturnals are MUCH cheaper than the others. The first arrow I will fling this year will have a Nocturnal nock.

FYI, I'm a meat hunter so this doesn't apply to me but if you like to hunt for big horns a lighted nock will DQ you from a Pope & Young entry.

I made a lighted nock after watching the attached video . It was pretty neat to shoot . I now shoot a tapered arrow with a smaller diameter shaft on the nock end . If you want to try making one GM has the Bobber Light with battery for around $2.50 .

I saw that video and tried making it. You need to be very careful not to glue the tip end that activates the light. I got just a bit of glue on the tip (about a size of a pin head) and somehow the head got stuck in the on position when i inserted it into the nock. Don't have the patience anymore to make them so I broke down and paid the $10 for ready made ones.

I got my Nockturnals today and just came back in from shooting them. I got the blue ones and they work great. They are lighter than any of the other ones out there and I like the switch design rather than pull on the nock to turn it off. Just have to carry a small nail in my pocket. Ill probably just stick the nail into the foam of my quiver so its always there.

I've been using Easton Tracer X-Nocks. Small magnet on riser (after waking them up from sleep mode) activates them. On solid for 10 seconds after shot then blink for 90 hours (they claim). I did recover an arrow the next day after recovering a big spike I shot and it was still blinking pretty bright after 12 hours or so. If you shoot aluminum use the S-Nocks...carbon or small diameter shaft X-nocks. not cheap ($15.99 for 2 with practice nocks also) but never had one fail yet. Did replace one this year (year 3). They are disposable and you can't change the battery. They work really well IMHO.

still waiting for my firenocks to show up. They are a bit pricey but I hae two friends that have had great luck with them. the color selection and options are crazy. 3 hunting nocks with 3 practice nocks ran me 60 bucks. I did buy the high impact batteries though. they have different blinking functions. I got the steady burn for 30 hours and then it dims to conserve batteries. they have a 17 second burn and then it goes into a blink function to conserve batteries.

I'm impressed with the tracer Nock System.

It's capable of 2 modes....active & inactive.

In the active mode, which seems correct for the entire hunting system, once activated, anytime your arrow passes thru the rest, within 1" of the magnet attached to the riser, the tracer lights solid.

Ten seconds later it starts to blink, and stays blinking.

After retrival, just pass the nock end of the arrow within 1" of the magnet and it turns off.

Easton claims a 90 hour battery life.

Only more time and uasge will back that statement up.

At the conclusion of hunting season, you again pass the nock end of the arrow past the magnet,

and hold for a certain number of flashes and the system becomes deactivated.

Pretty cool.

Yet, "the proof of the pudding is in the taste", and only a hunting season with a broad assessment of the product will attest to its reliability and overall performance.

Some food for thought. For 2 years now I have been extremely happy with my Nockturnal nocks. I have one that I ran through a deer last year and a turkey this year. Both times it worked perfectly. After I shot the turkey it was rather bloody so I rinsed it off, let it dry, and put it back on the arrow. I shot at another turkey the other day and missed. The nock did not light up and the arrow skipped up into the woods. Now I am down a CX maxima hunter with a $10 broadhead. I emailed the folks at Noctural nock to ask what I did wrong and they have yet to return my email. I will keep you updated. I have been singing the praises of nockturnal nocks but from now on I will shoot the nock on a practice arrow before I go back out.