Live from the stand 2011

WNYBuckHunter

Watched a nice bodied young 6 point (or so) make a new rub line right around 4:30, he was within 30 yds for quite a while, but behind me and to the right with no clear shots.

Other than a few fresh rubs and a scrape, this was the first major sign of rut I have personally witnessed this season.

Heading back to the number one stand first thing in the AM, then setting out another stand, then picking up some grave digger.

Edited by 7J Everyday

We harvested our 6th doe off my property yesterday. My buddy shot her and she dropped 30 yards from the shot. Interesting thing, he had 4 bucks come in during and after the shot. She must have been close to being "right". One 1.5 yr old buck with a half rack stayed with her for 1.5 hours, running around her, grunting, pawing at her, mauling her with his antler, smelling her this was around 10 am. I finally went down to the area got within 30 yards he had bedded with her for 45 min. My bud watched this show and he wished he had a video camera. I got some footage with my iphone... but only of me walking up, you see him, he gets up and runs and stops.

When we were field dressing her we heard grunting. Pretty cool.

Next few days are going to be tought with temp of 52 at 4am.

We harvested our 6th doe off my property yesterday. My buddy shot her and she dropped 30 yards from the shot. Interesting thing, he had 4 bucks come in during and after the shot. She must have been close to being "right". One 1.5 yr old buck with a half rack stayed with her for 1.5 hours, running around her, grunting, pawing at her, mauling her with his antler, smelling her this was around 10 am. I finally went down to the area got within 30 yards he had bedded with her for 45 min. My bud watched this show and he wished he had a video camera. I got some footage with my iphone... but only of me walking up, you see him, he gets up and runs and stops.

When we were field dressing her we heard grunting. Pretty cool.

Next few days are going to be tought with temp of 52 at 4am.

I hope you cut out the Tarsal glands and threw them in the freezer.

• Like 1

Yep and now is the time it starts working great ...they are all out there jockeying for position now...Good luck

I like to do a tik tik ...crash...rubbing and tic tic...then pause and a min or so repeat a couple of times...wait a half hour and go again...I throw in a snort wheez first and a grunt or two in the middle

Gonna head out Friday morn... can't freakin wait. I am dying to get back out there. I took this Friday and Monday off along time ago and I'm thinkin it was a wise move. I was judging by the full moon being tomorrow night. I'm hoping they're not wore out from running all night but I think the rut is starting to really kick in and am hopeful to see some nice horns.

I'm plannin on pulling 2 all dayers Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone else have first hand info on where we are at in the rut?

Went out Sunday afternoon till dark say nothing. Went out again Monday morning and evening,. While getting out of my ladder stand spotted a deer bedded down 40 yards from my stand got back in stand grunted nothing ,watched that deer get up and lay down twice then then moved off in the opposite direction. Also hunted Tuesday morning and evening say nothing in the am but two does came in as I was about to leave and came in close but not close enough. Something spooked them and they ran off about 60 yards and started to come back stamping her foot as she got closer. When she reached the same spot that she bolted from before she did it again and this time kept going. It was exciting but no cigar.

By me I wouldn't say the rut in on, nothing moving. Thought I would have seen some activity this past few days but nothing so far. Have seen deer in the fields in the am and even in mid day, no bucks bothering them.

• Like 1

I believe its in that transition phase from pre rut to full out rut.....have seen a little seeking and chasing but nothing to serious here in 8J. Bucks are working their scrape lines very hard that's for sure. Its on the brink of blowing completely open that's for sure! Warm weather hasn't helped out at all either.....

The rut was heavy in lower NY. I saw 5 bucks and 10 does chasing for 5 hours straight. Then, on a trip up to Port Jervis and back, I saw 12 dead deer on the roads. Normally you can see 2 or 3, but every day of the rut, it gets to be abnormally high numbers.