Would you shoot him?

WNY Bowhunter

@ everybody going on about QDM... pay less attention to lee and Tiffanys hunting show I know most if not every one of you is hunting a small piece of private land or public land and not a huge game ranch.

Actually there are quite a few of us that hunt large, private tracts and others that work along side neighbors to improve the hunting in their area. Watching TV has nothing to do with it. ;)

Maybe some people just don't like gutting deer ..... :sarcastichand:

You started it here dude. Shoot whatever deer you to want this fall...big or small...buck or doe...I don't really care. I'm hunting the stand tonight where this buck is. If I don't get blown out of the tree and he actually shows up, he'll get to live another day. Hopefully, a nice fat doe will show up first so I can kill her and gut here with my teeth like a coyote... :sarcastic: !!!

Seriously, let's end the crap. Good luck this season.

You started it here dude. Shoot whatever deer you to want this fall...big or small...buck or doe...I don't really care. I'm hunting the stand tonight where this buck is. If I don't get blown out of the tree and he actually shows up, he'll get to live another day. Hopefully, a nice fat doe will show up first so I can kill her and gut here with my teeth like a coyote... :sarcastic: !!!

Seriously, let's end the crap. Good luck this season.

It seems like anything that's put on here in a light-hearted vane is something that you get all torqued out of shape over. I've got to tell you that there is no "crap to end" on my part. I really don't intend to stop kidding around......sorry. You just need to try not being so damn sensitive over every little joke that's put on here. You seriously got all bent out of shape over the "gutting" joke???? That's crazy!

My point is hes not going to get much older... he is going to get shot if not by you by the next person that sees him

One thing is always for sure.. if you shoot a young buck he has a 100% chance of not getting older... if you pass on him.. you just upped his chances drastically... now he has a 50/50 chance...

Edited by nyantler

Pass without a question. One more year and then he becomes a WNY wall hanger with 40-70% of his antler potential. Guys that take the first deer they see is good, because now there out of the woods for the potential of a 3.5 year or older deer. If you have private land do something there so the deer stay closer to home, that's a whole topic in it's self. But what does work is creatng a sanctury for their protection, believe me they will find it and stay there when pressured.

One thing is always for sure.. if you shoot a young buck he has a 100% chance of not getting older... if you pass on him.. you just upped his chances drastically... now he has a 50/50 chance...

more like 75/25

Ill shoot a spike horn if it gives me a clear shot... A successful hunt TO ME means meat in the freezer not something to brag about on an internet forums I cut the top of the skull off the small bucks and use them for decoration... If i get a big one thats great.. If i get a few small deer im happy and well fed for a while

• 3 weeks later...

If I had a shot on that deer id kill him his mother his father his children his sister his brother IDC if a deer steps in range and I have a clear shot its going down

Small buck big buck small doe big doe... they all taste magnificent

all taste magnificent??? you obviously haven't tasted a mature buck... blaacchh

If you want meat shoot does

well said Gjs4!! couldn't agree more

I suppose I'll chime in....Obvious I'd shoot him for the buck I shot has a smaller rack than that....and I'm more that happy with it.....Don't much care how old he is...not biggest racked buck I've ever shot...but good sized body...

Here's my take on this...I didn't shoot one of the biggest bucks of my life...at ten yards...just because it made me nearly pass out and I was having a hard enough time just not dropping the bow and tumbling out of the stand...fact...that buck was shot around 2MILES away a week later...It wasin the pics at a local gun shop....

So I know how far a deer will travel with a major highway and hundreds of hunters between us...I never see the bucks I do shoot on any of my many cams nor near any of my plots....this years buck was being hunted and seen on camera by at least four other bow hunters I know ...I hadn't seen him....the point is every one hunts different areas and for different reasons...why even ask ...ppl need to start hunting for whats right for THEM...not what LOOKS right for OTHERS...and enjoy the experience and be proud of a good kill...do I have any "standards"? ....Yes I have and do pass on 6 and under....but if a really big 6 showed up...I may think hard...I pass on doe with triplets and twins...they are the buck producers....they are the ones I really hope survive so that as with this year I can pass 7 buck in one morning....but I also fill my doe tags....I good clean kill is an accomplishment and kudos to all hunters that have been blessed with the experience...what ever the quarry(sp)?

• Like 2

I don't give a rats behind about antlers. I like the fresh, clean, delicious meat. Tell me something about QDMA that I never understood. Your supposed to shoot only the big ones.... so who is breeding the does? The little ones, with unknown genetics. Seems counter productive, and for what bragging rights?

Not me, I spend the money on DMP's and if it is legal, I don't care what someone else values as to what I can and will put in my freezer.

I don't give a rats behind about antlers. I like the fresh, clean, delicious meat. Tell me something about QDMA that I never understood. Your supposed to shoot only the big ones.... so who is breeding the does? The little ones, with unknown genetics. Seems counter productive, and for what bragging rights?

Not me, I spend the money on DMP's and if it is legal, I don't care what someone else values as to what I can and will put in my freezer.

Seems counter productive because you don't understand how it works... never understood how someone could have an opinion on something that they know nothing about...lol.. and I'm pretty sure big bucks have meat too.. so I guess some of us have the best of both worlds, big antlers and meat.

Seems counter productive because you don't understand how it works... never understood how someone could have an opinion on something that they know nothing about...lol.. and I'm pretty sure big bucks have meat too.. so I guess some of us have the best of both worlds, big antlers and meat.

I guess some of us are more interested in the protein, than having something to brag about. I get my kicks out of being in the woods, not sitting around by myself or with buddies admiring antlers, to each his own. But by the way you responded ... You must be right, and I must be wrong. I don't like the government or individuals forcing their thoughts/opinions on me, and yet "trophy" hunters do it all the time.

I'm not sure how a cell phone or computer works either but I've got my opinion on those as well, they are real handy, and a pain in the butt at the same time

Sorry I forgot about the "lol", guess that means you smart me stupid. I'm pretty sure you have opinion about everything, weather your "studied" on the matter or not. I don't carry a degree on deer physiology, but I'm certain you and I both believe what we do for different reasons... you do as you like, and I'll do the same...Perhaps a little more civil?

Edited by Tim Martin

Like I said I can be interested in protein and have big antlers at the same time... my friends and I sit around eating venison while we talk about the nice buck we've taken...I don't bad mouth guys that want to hunt whatever they want.. you and others like you have a hard-on about guys who like hunting big bucks.. I enjoy everything about hunting that every other hunter does I just don't get a thrill out of killing younger bucks and there are those that don't seem to like that.. it's not about who's right or wrong... as far as you not liking the government forcing anything on you..they have been making the rules since you began hunting... they tell you how many tags you can have , how many and what deer you can shoot, when you have to report it, what weapon and when you can use that weapon, what times of the year you can hunt... you want to shoot what you want.. when you want.. but the truth is you can't because they make the rules like it or not... other hunters having opinions isn't forcing anything on you.. it's only a guy having an opinion just like you have.

It's interesting how these topics keep coming up. Everybody seems to like these deals where they get an opportunity to brag to the world about this buck and that buck that they passed up and how they are a hunter of such high expertise that it is beneath them to harvest any buck that doesn't live up to this standard or that standard. It's kind of like some weird measuring stick that some people need to determine who is the great hunter and who is not..... lol. I find it all kind of silly, but am beginning to understand that it apparently is just human nature. Frankly, I could care less about what size buck anyone gets or how many inches it's rack measures. Who cares? Does it go into some records book? who cares? I don't own the book and it means absolutely nothing to me. Sure I admire a good buck with a jillion points, but I also recognize that 90.99% of the biggest bucks are more or less lucky accidents. So, if someone gets a super, multi-pointed buck ..... great! If someone shoots a fork .... good for them. Hell, if they get a doe, they will get a congratulations from me. And I won't waste one minute trying to preach to them how they should have let it pass or denigrating an achievement that they are obviously proud of. I think too many of us get all tangled up in that sort of ego-inflation at the expense of others. I want hunters to feel good about their successes rather than trying to pass judgement and make them wish they had never taken up hunting.

• Like 1

It's interesting how these topics keep coming up. Everybody seems to like these deals where they get an opportunity to brag to the world about this buck and that buck that they passed up and how they are a hunter of such high expertise that it is beneath them to harvest any buck that doesn't live up to this standard or that standard. It's kind of like some weird measuring stick that some people need to determine who is the great hunter and who is not..... lol. I find it all kind of silly, but am beginning to understand that it apparently is just human nature. Frankly, I could care less about what size buck anyone gets or how many inches it's rack measures. Who cares? Does it go into some records book? who cares? I don't own the book and it means absolutely nothing to me. Sure I admire a good buck with a jillion points, but I also recognize that 90.99% of the biggest bucks are more or less lucky accidents. So, if someone gets a super, multi-pointed buck ..... great! If someone shoots a fork .... good for them. Hell, if they get a doe, they will get a congratulations from me. And I won't waste one minute trying to preach to them how they should have let it pass or denigrating an achievement that they are obviously proud of. I think too many of us get all tangled up in that sort of ego-inflation at the expense of others. I want hunters to feel good about their successes rather than trying to pass judgement and make them wish they had never taken up hunting.

Doc , I find it interesting that you "admire a buck with a jillion point" but feel it is somehow silly for someone else to spend their time in the woods hunting them and admire them from the comforts of their living room recliner. And You feel it is almost pure luck to shoot one and yet i can name dozens of fellas that i know from this site and from my circle of hunting enthusiests that seem to do it pretty regularly. Very rarely have i read a post from one of those mature deer hunters and thought it sounded like bragging. They are simply reporting their hunting experiences to the rest in this group. These are THEIR experiences in the woods. They only sound like bragging to people who have never experienced similar things themselves or find it hard to believe that any hunter possible could. You concider every deer equally special so when some guy posts that he's shot 30 does in the past 10 years you say congradulations. But if your the guy that passed on 30 2.5 yr olds and shot 5 wallhangers you are a braggert.

All my archery tags are for meat...if I fill a dmp during archery (2 in the freezer) I will pass on a small buck (4 points) with my either sex tag...but not the one in the pic, he's dead especially on public land (which I predominantly hunt).

Granted if landowners asked me to only shoot 3.5 or better I would.

I'd take em and wouldnt think about it twice..You cant eat the rack sounds like a pot of people are hunting for the wrong reason!

You can't eat the rack, but you can eat the ton of meat that carries the rack... I hunt because I enjoy it.. don't think thats the wrong reason.. I just happen to enjoy big bucks too..