Would you shoot him?

WNY Bowhunter

I'd shoot him. There's nothing wrong with shooting a 2.5 yr old. That buck would meet any state's AR requirements and surpass most (pointwise or spreadwise). I wouldn't even hesitate. I mean, you can hold off shooting deer until they die of old age, but after all, I am a deer hunter and not a deer watcher.

That's a nice buck and I would shoot him , if given the opportunity . I don't see that many bucks up close . I used to hunt my son's property in Italy Valley and we let the small racked bucks walk . However , his property is adjacent to State Land and apparently the hunters there weren't that generous . QDM is great , if the hunters on the neighboring properties practice it also .

To each there own but untill you mature as a hunter ang go after only mature animals the rest are just like yearlings.If he was to keep a log on that buck without shooting him i would bet that buck would walk by him time and again and run through the woods helter skelter during the rut.Not a big challange there.Again thats the good thing about maturing as a hunter.First few years its kill as many as you can and then 20 years and hundreds of deer under the belt you will go after a deer that will beat you many times before that fatefull morning when you finally outsmart him.In the meantime shoot all those stupid does runnin around to fill yur gut!!!

• Like 1

Seems like alot of people are watching to much TV. Your not in Kansas anymore. In the area that I hunt that would be considered a real good deer. I'd shoot him.

Well, I know what caliber of deer is walking around my hunting area, and to me, a 2.5 is a deer that I am letting walk. The exception to that would be if he were already injured. Then, I would put him down out of mercy. If you look at the OP's trail cam pictures that he has posted this year, you will see the caliber of deer running around his area. If you dont care about letting the deer become mature and reach their potential, then by all means, shoot away, but dont sit there and call others silly for saying they would let him walk.

That buck would probably pass all the AR requirements, but my personal restriction is a bit higher... only because I have been fortunate enough to have taken many nice bucks and I need to keep the bar raising so as to continue blowing my skirt up... for some fellas that buck would be a nice trophy to take... especially if it was your first bigger buck.

Edited by nyantler

I started a QDM in Western NY 5 years ago with over 20 neightbors, yes 20! It does work if you have meetings and can stay as a group. Since the program started I have not taken a buck, had chances like the above but electedt to pass. Last year our QDM took 3 140 class bucks......it does work, our next meeting is Nov 17 in Holland to get guys excited about the gun season and again agree on harvest goals.

For the next couple of weeks hunt them apple trees....there a magnet !! good luck

I have a few deer running around my property like this guy. My dad and I would let this guy walk and hope that he stays where the food and cover is so he could make it another year. They will all not make it, but you can't have 3.5+ bucks if they are shot when they are 2.5.

I would drop that bad boy right where he stands, this is my first year deer hunting, and first time hunting in 10yrs. Of course according to my family and friends I would get the fever and unload the gun into the ground and forget to pull up on the deer, we will have to see how it goes, I know I will be posting pics of whatever I do get :D

I see the benefit of letting him walk on by but I am still waiting for my first bow kill of ANY deer so "if its brown, its down for me!" And yes since it would be my first, i would mount that thing. Whats your thoguhts about mounting a small buck (lets say a scrawny 4pt) if its your first buck kelled with a bow?