Would you shoot him?

WNY Bowhunter

Before cable TV and Internet telling us what a good deer is or is not the deer being talked about on thread was a trophy plain and simple and I would be proud hunter to double lung that guy.

Actually I think you hit the nail on the head here. The internet and TV tells us what a good deer is and isn't, and sometimes we take that too far into consideration. While it is good to be educated (truly), in the end after learning all that we can, we should each personally decide for ourselves what a good deer is to us. It's why it drives me a little nuts when guys feel the need to call each other out on a deer that wasn't up to their standards. I'm not talking about on this forum necessarily. Yeah, maybe it would have been a bruiser if you let it walk for another year, but dangit the deed is already done and the other person decided that the deer was good enough for them. There are other ways to educate than to verbally knock someone else down a peg. This can lead to a competitive vibe that has hurt our sport more often than not. It is not everyone's goal to bring home the deer that TV and the internet suggests they get.

If person A decides, honestly, that a deer is a good deer to them, power to them.

If person B decides, honestly, that the same deer is not a good deer to them, power to them too.

:)

Edited by Jennifer

At this stage of my hunting he would get a pass unless it was the last day and I had nothing in the freezer!!

I would not begrudge anyone shooting him though he is a nice deer and I would be happy for them. I have taken many smaller bucks.

I will say though .5 and 1.5 year old bucks taste really good. I took a 3.5 a 2.5 and a 4.5 or 5.5 deer last year and the quality goes down with age for sure!

I think Culver hit the nail right square on the head. That deer would get a pass by me because I know this guy is walking around the farm I hunt...

MDGC0180.jpg

Before I got ahold of this place, Id probably have taken that deer.

Which farm was this again? :crazypilot::heat:B)

LMAO

Hey Culver, I got a treestand waiting for me right over that creek bottom. Guess where Ill be Saturday morning. Well, unless its too windy.

I would head there even with the wind. That bottom would provide travel for them out of the wind. You on the other hand would have to take your sea sickness meds and attach a 5 point race car harness to the tree stand....good luck I will be out in the am but my Pm got cut out for Homecoming. Sunday I will be out there

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I would head there even with the wind. That bottom would provide travel for them out of the wind. You on the other hand would have to take your sea sickness meds and attach a 5 point race car harness to the tree stand....good luck I will be out in the am but my Pm got cut out for Homecoming. Sunday I will be out there

Oh Ill have my harness attached lol. My Sunday might be screwy, I think my better half is working in the morning, but Ill get an afternoon hunt in. You gonna be in your spot across the street?

Just for the fun of it, I was curious as to how many members on here would take the shot and how many would pass?

Actually, I usually hold out for the bucks that have a deep sway in the back, and one that you can count all the ribs. It's also good if I can ascertain that he no longer has a tooth in his head. I generally watch him eat an apple and if he appears to be just sucking on it instead of chewing, chances would be good that he's starting to get to the age where a harvest should be considered. Also a pronounced wide bow in the legs is a good indicator of proper maturity. Heavily defined, bulging hip bones also indicate a buck's readiness for harvest. Also, the fact that this buck is still able to hold its head up indicates that he is not ready yet for harvest. Another good indicator is if he walks with a noticeable limp from arthritic joints and can't walk too many strides without laying down to rest. A little lost hair and stubby, drooping antlers is also a good sign that the buck has finally reached maturity and is ready for harvest.

This buck has none of those features and it would be a real shame to harvest this youngster before it's time.

Actually, I usually hold out for the bucks that have a deep sway in the back, and one that you can count all the ribs. It's also good if I can ascertain that he no longer has a tooth in his head. I generally watch him eat an apple and if he appears to be just sucking on it instead of chewing, chances would be good that he's starting to get to the age where a harvest should be considered. Also a pronounced wide bow in the legs is a good indicator of proper maturity. Heavily defined, bulging hip bones also indicate a buck's readiness for harvest. Also, the fact that this buck is still able to hold its head up indicates that he is not ready yet for harvest. Another good indicator is if he walks with a noticeable limp from arthritic joints and can't walk too many strides without laying down to rest. A little lost hair and stubby, drooping antlers is also a good sign that the buck has finally reached maturity and is ready for harvest.

This buck has none of those features and it would be a real shame to harvest this youngster before it's time.

Doc,

Is there a meaning to your poetic ramblings or were you just bored last night? Seriously, you just have to stir the pot with sarcasm...

@ everybody going on about QDM... pay less attention to lee and Tiffanys hunting show I know most if not every one of you is hunting a small piece of private land or public land and not a huge game ranch.

Bucks grow larger with age...not only is this true in Iowa, but here in NY too. :rolleyes:

Doc,

Is there a meaning to your poetic ramblings or were you just bored last night? Seriously, you just have to stir the pot with sarcasm...

Well, how about that. I thought I was being a bit funny, but apparently this is not a subject that some people can joke about. We do have some that just sit around here in a pissed off, spring-loaded position just looking for something to do battle about. Apparently I found one. Try to lighten up a bit. These things aren't really as serious as you apparently take them.

I can sit here and joke about it all day long.

As I stated earlier, there is no right or wrong answer here. I was just trying to get a picture of what other hunters' standards are from across the state. I'm not looking to start any verbal forum wars with anyone...

You could have fooled me with that reply.