what pistol to buy?

BizCT

I have my pistol permit already. In the market for a pistol. Will not be shooting it that often. More of just a home safety gun as well as maybe carrying it on my hip in bear country, etc. Any suggestions?

Semi or Revolver?

Price-wise, Im open to anything under $1K, would prefer like $500-$750 obviously.

Thanks in advance.

Most guys would recomend a 44 mag revolver for bear. That also a bit much for home defense. I hunt with a muzzleload and carry a 357 with hard cast ammo for bear. So a nice revolver in 357 with a 4 in bbl would do fine. You can 38 through it for cheap practice. I would stay away from autos unless you really do a lot of practice. I carry for work and one thing I know a revolver doesn't jam like an auto. Takes a lot to get use to tap and rack situations.

I am no pistol expert, but I think home defense and carrying in bear country are two different animals. How often will you be in grizzly country?? In black bear country you will never need one, thus I wouldn't worry too much about the rare times you will need one for grizzlies. Plus if you are in Canadian grizzly country you can't bring one with you anyway. I think your selection should be made for home defense only.

Edited by steve863

I am doing the same thing right now Biz. I am set on the .357 for the reasons listed. I have looked at many and I think I am going with the S&W 686. If you want to carry other than hunting you might want a 4" but I am going to use it to hunt so I am ging with an 8" barrel. The trigger is very smooth in DA and managebly light in SA. scope mounts are common and with the 8" it sits at 3 pounds. Practice is cheap with 38's and plenty of power for any bear we have in NY with a sturdy bullet. The L-frame is a proven design and I liked how it balanced. I have been looking in the used market and they seem to be hovering around 450-500.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Thanks for advice all. Yes, I do mean black bear. A bushman guide I had in Alberta, once he told me that he lost many more friends to black bear than to grizzlies. In Grizzly country I'd be with a rifle anyway, im talking about black bear country while hunting with a crossbow or while fishing remote areas.

Seems like a revolver would appear to be the best option, even though the semi looks alot cooler lol.

Thoughts on this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Handguns/Revolvers-Miscellaneous%7C/pc/104792580/c/105526980/sc/105527880/Smith-Wesson-J-Frame-Centerfire-Revolvers/733704.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-handguns-revolvers-miscellaneous%2F_%2FN-1102337%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105527880%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat105526980&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat105526980%3Bcat105527880http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Handguns/Revolvers-Miscellaneous%7C/pc/104792580/c/105526980/sc/105527880/Smith-Wesson-J-Frame-Centerfire-Revolvers/733704.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-handguns-revolvers-miscellaneous%2F_%2FN-1102337%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105527880%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat105526980&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat105526980%3Bcat105527880 what caliber? so many choices.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

If you are not planning to deer hunt with the pistol then go with something small and easy to carry.

I doubt you will need a handgun for bear protection in NY. Maybe for coyotes and 2 legged threats.

I have had a pistol permit for many years and have owned all kinds and sizes of handguns. The big ones end up at home because they are too big to carry. If you don't plan to carry, then a 4" 357mag revolver is your best choice. If you are thinking about conceal carry, then you might want to look at something like the Ruger LCP or LCR. Both guns are for protection and not target shooting. I like the LCP because it can be safely left unloaded and quickly loaded by just slipping the loaded magazine into the gun.

Yes, I do mean black bear. A bushman guide I had in Alberta, once he told me that he lost many more friends to black bear than to grizzlies.

That's interesting for sure. He must be one unlucky guide. I thought I read something somewhere that only 60 or so people have been killed by black bears in North America in the last 100 + years, so maybe your guides friends must bathe in honey or leave their Dunkin donut crumbs around for them to get eaten so often! LOL

When I took my pistol safety course, the instructor said that if you were going to carry a side arm while hiking or hunting, HE recommended a revolver, as the mechanisms are much more forgiving when it comes to getting dirty and being able to just work. Semis are much more touchy with more precission parts that can easily jamb if it were to get dirty.

With that mind set, I'd go with just simple reliability in a revolver.

If you go with a semi, take a look at the Springfield XDs. I have one in .40 and its a great gun. Never jams, cycles any type of round, feels right in my hand and shoots great. I carry it with me during gun season, and it goes just about everywhere with me as my CC gun the rest of the year. You can stay well under your price range, I paid less than $700 for mine complete with 2 stainless 10 round mags, holster, cleaning kit and hard side case. If you were closer, Id say you were welcome to stop over and try it out for yourself.

That's interesting for sure. He must be one unlucky guide. I thought I read something somewhere that only 60 or so people have been killed by black bears in North America in the last 100 + years, so maybe your guides friends must bathe in honey or leave their Dunkin donut crumbs around for them to get eaten so often! LOL

Come on man, lets be serious....you're talking about #'s that are reported. I am talking about guys who live in the "bush" as they call it. You think when one of these guys in the rocky mtns of alberta gets killed by a black bear it makes the news? I hunted in Northern Alberta for wolf and my guide said when he was kid, he used to go into the "bush" in the summer and sometimes come back in october and have no idea he missed a month or so of school till his mom yelled at him. No electric, no nothing up there, he said he lost a few friends to black bears while they riding horses actually. This guy wasn't a story teller either.

Well, you can believe everything your guide says if you want, but you know what?? If black bears were such vicious killers of man and beast, you would have far fewer of them around anywhere in North America than you currently do. Man would have put a hurting on them like they did to grizzlies, wolves and most animals who were in competition with them. Black bears have never been big killers of anything thus they have been left alone for the most part.

For Elmo---lol

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Biz-R-OWorld,

"In black bear country you will never need one, thus I wouldn't worry too much about the rare times you will need one for grizzlies." Someone forgot to tell this to the black bear I watched on Animal Planet last night as it mauled/killed 3 or 4 people.

Anyway, IMHO you don't need that big of a gun to stop a black bear. Remember, if you're just looking for self defense the range will be very very close. .357, .45, .40, even a 9mm will do. A Ruger SP-101, which is a stainless 5 shot revolver with a 3 1/16" barrel in .357, meets both of your criteria. But it's not like I'd be sweating bullets if I were carrying something like a Taurus PT-709 or PT-740 or one of the similar "slim" guns that are out there.

Food for thought. Many forums will have discussions on how many rounds you should have reliably feed through your auto before you call it your self defense gun, trust your life to it so to speak. Such discussions don't exist for revolvers.

What lawdwaz said....

If you want to carry a handgun on your hip, it is hard to beat a K frame Smith like the M-19 or M-66 in a four inch. Long enough sight radius so you and hit something, but not so much weight that it is a burden to carry.

For Elmo---lol

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Too funny! That's like the guy who went to a gunshop in Alaska to buy a handgun for bear hunting. The guy sold him one, then told him he should file the front sight down. He asked the shop owner "is that so I can draw it out of the holster faster?" The guy said "no, it's so it doesn't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your ass."

I've got a Glock 23 (.40) that I've never had any issues with. Great gun!

I would get a revolver,a 4in 357 is perfect for what you want to do.Load up with the hottest of 357's for out doors,maybe put a deer down that happens to still be alive when you get to.And use some +p ammo in the gun if you should ever have to defend your self at home.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 auto, love the gun. I carry it into the woods with me, don't expect it to stop a bear but if for some reason I had to put my shotgun down it will be there if I need it. I agree with the majority, 2 legged scumbags are more of a threat but if you wanna feel safe while hunting, .357 revolver with a 4" Barrel will do the trick. If you wanna make sure its dead get the S&W 500........that is the end all revolver.

• 4 weeks later...