Has anyone started hanging any stands yet ?

fasteddie

I do not longer are in tree stands. But I am always looking to see if we get a big tree knocked over from a storm and can I use it for a natural blind. I also keep looking to see if I see new deer trails to our pasture and we have about 7 A's of cow corn. I got out the camo burlap mater and see I have to pick up a new package as I have one that sure need replacement.

I'm a "ground-stander" too, but I have already been out fixing up some of the ground blinds that I have scattered through the woods. There's always shooting lanes to clear and new brush and stuff to add to the blinds. I don't like to wait until too close to the season to start disturbing things, so most of them are done already.

Doc

My ladder stand stays up, but I was scoping out a new stand site over the weekend. I have some clearing to do to get a stand in there, but I think it will be worth it. I will also be taking a ladder out to the tree where my ladder stand is and get up there to check all of the straps, etc. Its just about time to start trimming lanes as well.

Went out Last night to check my stand over looking a soybean feild..and was going to put up the trail cam on a nice trail I found near it. Couldn't get there...NINE bucks standing in front of my stand....and no damn camera with me.... grrrr...guess I gotta get in there earlier...I'll post if I can get them on film...3 looked like shooters

Agree with Doc on the timing of updating/installing stands. Have a 60 acre brush lot bordered on three side by apple orchards. With three ladder stands I'm always changing and improving the locations. Try to clear new paths and trails in April or May before foliage gets too thick. Make every effort to get stands established by the end of July. Of course this is a dynamic situation determined by scouting and previous years experiences. Usually go back the middle of September and make any final shooting lane trimming. Theory is to allow deer to get acclimated to paths, trails and stand sites from August to opening day. Does it work, heck no! When the rut is in full blast my theory goes down the tubes. Pre-rut, rut and post-rut whitetail activities differ greatly. Ladder stands and mobility are contradictions. Mobile climbing stands and my claustrophobia don't mix well. Every year is a learning experience and requires fine tuning. Basically, get 'em up early, let them get used to the intrusions and live with it. The above cones with a disclaimer for ladder stand usage only. Guessing hunters using climbers are more adaptable and can change locations as needed. Wish I could use one!!!

You bet, 2 ladders in place,one wood stand up year round,3 hang ons when we get a weather break (really hot now).

Next week or two will be sinking the phone poles

for my shooting shack up in the air.

Next time in gun when it windy,wet,cold I'll be cooking soup and watching fields from inside !!

Next week or two will be sinking the phone poles

for my shooting shack up in the air.

Next time in gun when it windy,wet,cold I'll be cooking soup and watching fields from inside !!

You're gonna LOVE it!!  ;D  I just put up a tower stand a couple years ago, for when the kids go with me and as a place to go when the weather is nasty. I almost feel guilty! It'll be snowing, raining, blowing, and freezing, but I'll be inside with my Buddy heater all toasty, warming up soup and coffee! NICE!!

Ha ha ha I can't wait. The farmer is really really good to me. They'er his poles and his land,put in with his equipment !

Mines just going to be 4x8, but thats way bigger then a 18x24 inch  hang on and with walls and a roof !!

I used to see those hunting shows and think,"thats not hunting, sitting in a small house" ! Now being older,wanting to hunt with my college student daughter who is home to hunt a week end or so. This will be ideal .

See's not going to go 20 feet up a tree, she still needs to sit by me etc.

So same reasons, bad weather,with kids and taking a break inside something during bow as I hunt farm land and like to stay all day.

I also just finished.

Moved two ladder stands and did the shooting lanes preliminary trimming for all three ladder stands.

Set up a blind near a frequently used travel route and brushed it in. Mostly for foul weather use.

Mowed all my paths and ATV trails for the last time.

Should not have to enter the area except to do any one-time final trimming and check trail cameras.

Oh yeah, will invade hunting area later to check for rubs.

I like to let wildlife settle down and reestablish their routines for 6-8 weeks before bow hunting opens.

Basically that means no ATVs , chainsaws, brush hogs, mowers, trimmers, etc.

I even helped 75 year old neighbor saw, haul and split his firewood so he was out of the area in time.

Shouldn't be so fanatical about the "no intrusion" policy, deer see my ATV coming and either freeze or move 60-70 yards to see where I'm going.

Last year I had a bachelor group of 3 bucks that bedded down mid-days along an ATV trail.

If I putted by at a constant speed and with no body movements, they would only stand up and watch me go by.

That happened 5-6 times and they were only about 25 yards off the trail.