Two more trail cams stolen

Buckstopshere

Monday or Tuesday (11/1/11) I had two more trail cams stolen on posted property. (Different property) in Wellsville, in southern Allegany County. That makes four ripped off this year. I told the police, and am offering a $100 cash reward to information leading to the arrest of the perp. What a bummer...just at this time of year when I was starting to get some really good scrape and buck photos and clips!

That sucks! Hope you find out who it was and prosecute.

Back ~10 years ago, when I was making home brew trail cams, a guy came up with a pretty good idea. He made legit foil type labels for inside the cams with a fake serial #. The labels said to call this # to request an owners manual. When/if anyone stole the cam, it was a home brew so there were no instructions available on the net, the thief would call the # to request an owners manual, give their contact info, and whalla, you knew who it was! Might be worth a shot if you put any more out there.

• Like 2

it has been my experience that the person you are having trouble with trespassing or not respecting land borders will be the same that has stolen the cams. mainly because they walked in front of them and didnt realize it until to late,so to hide the evidence of being there they take the camera.

Dude, what do you get the blaze orange ones,lol?

Sorry man, that sucks.I always try to hide my straps with sticks and leaves. The black strap lines on a bare trunk are a dead give away.

Wooly, you would think that they went so far as camoflage the camera why didn't they use a camo they strap. You are right that black strap sticks out like a sore thumb.

it has been my experience that the person you are having trouble with trespassing or not respecting land borders will be the same that has stolen the cams. mainly because they walked in front of them and didnt realize it until to late,so to hide the evidence of being there they take the camera.

Why didn't they just take the memory card if they did you would still have the camera. I think they wanted the camera, maybe they are walking around tripping the flash and then finding the cameras. Just a crook that's what you have there.

i have locks on my cams,so only i can open them. and after loosing a couple,i run a small diameter cable through the strap loops on the cam and around the tree with a lock.

Are your camera's on state or private land? it's sad to think another hunter would steal someones camera, they are probably responsible for other hunting violations but were probably never caught.

Thats dirty man thats why i didnt really want to leave mine on my buddys land cause i knew people were hunting his land.We found a home made tree stand and a ground blind.We took the ground blind and recked the tree stand,we left a not hand written that said he would be shot if seen on his land.Or eaten by the freakin pack of rotweilers he has!!

Some taril camera have a flash some have infer red..i personlly think if a infer red camera well hidden it could go unoticed.If i were him i would build a thick metal box and put a trail cam in it,then use nice thick chains to keep it locked good,camo the hell oout of it and put a fake decoy on another tree.All you need is a pic of the scum that thinks the camera is real and goes up to it they regaurdless if he sees the real cam a good well made box should not be able 2 be broken into with just a pocket knife!Then just hpe he is stupid enuff to show his face on the camera and just walk away!!I hope you get him because thats scummy!!

Trail cams do flash right when they take a pic?

I think it will be noticeable when the guy will try to take other cam off the tree..

or am I wrong?

An IR camera doesn't flash but you see the red light from the camera when the motion detector is tripped . If you knew someone who had an old junk camera they didn't want you could put that in a visible spot and put an IR camera up high whereby a ladder would be needed to reach it and then check the area each day to see if they are still there .

First and the most basic issue is the trespassing.

Need to get that under control & missing cams may (?) disappear. No pun...

Second is that I also have private & posted property, but all my cams are still locked to the trees.

Masterlock Python cables can be purchased "Keyed alike" from certain resellers. (Ck eBay)

I have a set of 4 all keyed the same. Really much more convenient!!

Your luck has to get better, Oak!!!