The 100 inch mark.

agross

I was just curious how many guys on here have broken the 100 inch mark on a new york white tail with either gun or bow.

I myself have yet to surpass the 100 inch mark. I always thought that it could be a possiblilty but the more i hunt the harder it seems for me to achieve. I hunt primarily in Chenago County on 32 acres. Now there are some good bucks around as my nephew shot a 115 inch 18 inch wide 8 a few years back on our property but i have yet to even see one in the woods.

I pass on all small bucks i see as i am trying to practice QDMA in my area but in the back of my mind i believe the only help im going to get is when DEC expands AR to unit 7P to give some more of these young bucks a chance to get older.

I hunt dawn to dusk during bow and gun season.

I am becoming a bigger believer in Charles Alzsheimers (sp?) deer and deer hunting episode entitled the 100 inch booner. A few 90 plus inch bucks but no 100 yet. Maybe this gun season will be my year. Maybe i will end up settling for backstraps of a doe wrapped in bacon grilled on the bbq while drinking coors light.

Im not giving up yet.

I have one 9 pointer that is somewhere in the 120 to 130 range got him with a gun. I have a 10 point that I have no clue what he scores but I would guess he is over 100. I would like to get a couple of my eights measured I would think one of them is over 100. I love the little basket racks though and every deer is a trophy. Doe or buck.

I have never shot a deer under 100 in NY. The buck I shot this year will struggle to make 120, but I would rather give the young deer a pass and hold out for something bigger. I know there are areas of the state where there is a lot of pressure and bucks seldom see their second birthday. That is probably why the 100 inch mark has not been surpassed. I primarily hunt tracts of private land that vary between 160 and 500+ acres where all the owners practice QDMA. in fact, one place the owner will not let you shoot a buck unless you are going to mount it. However, my first buck in NY was just over 100" and I was damn proud about him. The trophy is in the eye of the beholder, if you hunt long enough and decide to pass the small ones the odds are in your favor that a good buck will come along.

I have taken 10 NY bucks that score over 100... they range from 104 - 155.. I also have one buck that scored 98.. I've gone many years with no buck and have passed on well over 100 bucks since 1994... I wouldn't say I'm a good hunter though just a picky one... :)

• Like 1

You didnt say how old you are or how long you have hunted. I have 10 mounted so far that are 125 and above and an 8pt from this year that is just shy of 130in. That might seem like alot but i have hunted for 35 years and i have made it a point to go where the deer are and to always let a young buck walk.You can take does to fill the freezer is most areas.The ones you cant then by all means take a small buck. I guess im saying if you make it your all out effort to go where the deer are 100in will be an easy mark!!

• Like 1

I say this every year there are big deer in every area of the state. 100 plus inchers I live in the capital region and high pressure if the name of the game around here yet I see the big deer every year. I Don't always get a shot at them but if you put your time and efforts in they are there. But like steve863 says it shouldn't be about antlers it should be about hunting and doing something you enjoy. LIke I said every deer is a trophy to me. Some of those older does are just as smart if not smarter than the bucks. If you get a deer you are lucky and should take pride in it.

Yes it should be about antlers if that is what you want it to be about... I don't understand why it can't be about antlers for some of us... I hunt for big antlers and I'm not ashamed of it and don't need to be... if you don't like big antlers then don't hunt for them, but I do and thats what makes hunting exciting for me... and for a lot of other guys as well.

its not about killing everything you see either.. unless thats what you want it to be...

Edited by nyantler

Nyantler I agree with you IF you want to wait it out and take a big antlered deer than that is your choice. It just shouldn't be pushed on you if you don't want it to be that way. Again it should be YOUR OWN CHOICE to take what ever you want. I think alot of people just don't wait for the opportunity to take a bigger deer. Which I think is fine if they want to do it that way.

A long time ago a big name hunter said... you have to hunt where the buck you want is known to exist either seen by you or by a reliable source. If you never see a deer over 100 in its tough to get one... I shot a lot of small buck when i started hunting, i made a choice in 200o to hunt for the big ones i get on camera, i now have 4 over 120in with the largest 146 typical and a nontypical at 141. As for your choice to hold out for one fine do it but if you arn't enjoying it then you need to find a new place to hunt or lower your standards... by the way taxdermists do not get rich by mounting big buck, my uncle has mounted thousands of deer most below 100 in. Enjoy your hunt!!

Why get stuck up on some silly measurements? My suggestion is to just enjoy hunting and be happy with whatever you are lucky enough to get.

Why rely on just lucky?... hunting a particular buck and tracking him to his bed and killing him is very enjoyable... why burst the guys bubble if he wants to hunt a 100" buck?... you don't like guys pushing their way of hunting but you sure like telling guys not to hunt big antlers and to settle for something they don't want to kill... because thats how you do it... maybe your way isn't the way he wants to hunt.

Ive been fortunate enough to shoot 6 deer over 115" in the past 9 yrs. 4 with a bow and 2 with shotgun. I've never shot one under that mark. To be honest though, i have not put the tape to the last 2 that i've killed. That exact # use to be very important to me yrs ago but now it's all about mature deer for me. I still enjoy measuring other peoples deer though and if I happen to stumble on a giant, i'll probably measure him up as well.

Just for clarity i am not dead set on a number inch wise just curious and trying to be realistic. As to shooting deer i consider myself to have become very proficient with a compound bow (have been bow hunting for 17 years or so (before that started gun hunting when i was 16). I'm 41 yearsold by the way. Not 100pct proficient but good enough that i feel as though if a deer gets within 40 yards or so hes toast.

That being said i really started getting into hunting with a recurve with no sites shootinng stricking instinctual. I could hunt does only with my recurve as the challenge of getting a deer within 15 makes it all that enjoyable.

I have passed on untold spikes and forks waiting for the bigger buck. I know that my area in chenango has good deer but im realistic in that i know its not the adirondacks, or steuben county, or weschester or long island.

Why rely on just lucky?... hunting a particular buck and tracking him to his bed and killing him is very enjoyable... why burst the guys bubble if he wants to hunt a 100" buck?... you don't like guys pushing their way of hunting but you sure like telling guys not to hunt big antlers and to settle for something they don't want to kill... because thats how you do it... maybe your way isn't the way he wants to hunt.

Because I have been around this game a long time now, and have observed that the hunters who could care less about "inches" are the ones most content when it comes to their hunting. There not the ones bitching and moaning that the guys down the road are shooting all the small bucks and that they aren't getting a chance to grow. Everyone can obviously hunt for what they want, but it's the guys who talk about the "inches" who will be screaming about how the other hunts well before those who could care less about measurements. And it's been proven on this site time after time.

A long time ago a big name hunter said... you have to hunt where the buck you want is known to exist either seen by you or by a reliable source. If you never see a deer over 100 in its tough to get one... I shot a lot of small buck when i started hunting, i made a choice in 200o to hunt for the big ones i get on camera, i now have 4 over 120in with the largest 146 typical and a nontypical at 141. As for your choice to hold out for one fine do it but if you arn't enjoying it then you need to find a new place to hunt or lower your standards... by the way taxdermists do not get rich by mounting big buck, my uncle has mounted thousands of deer most below 100 in. Enjoy your hunt!!

G-man for website president!