Joe Paterno - Fired - Thoughts?

burmjohn

Joe Paterno was just Fired.... After reading everything so far, I think its the right thing to do, especially if he was involved in any type of cover-up / knew about anything with the whole incident. If they do find he was involved in any type of cover-up, I suspect charges will follow. I'm kind of surprised Penn State dragged their feet for so long.

Those boys who were molested will carry that with them the rest of their lives. The hurt and anger inside them will rage, I hope they all seek out professional counseling to help them move on. As for the adults involved they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. It's good that the college fired the President and coach right away. Those students need to get back to their work.

Penn State grad here, always had alot of respect for Joe and the way he handled his program. 85% graduation rate, 2nd in the nation behind Northwestern, 40 + years without an NCAA investigation, $3.5 million to build a new library, and countless other good deeds....all tarnished by what he didn't do. A seemingly good man, who's lack of action is inexcusable. Everyone who had knowlegde of Sandusky's actions is culpable, and should no longer be able to be entrusted with the education and well being of the students of PSU. I am glad to see that Board of Trustee's is taking this course of action. All those involved should be disgraced with their inability to act. Its all sickening. My heart goes out to the young men and all their families.

I think if he knew and he did nothing about it,he should be held accountable also.I well say if this is all true I have lost all respect for the man.Everything he has done is all washed away. Just how I feel.I have kids and if I ever found out someone did something I would be in jail!!!!

I think if he knew and he did nothing about it,he should be held accountable also.I well say if this is all true I have lost all respect for the man.Everything he has done is all washed away. Just how I feel.I have kids and if I ever found out someone did something I would be in jail!!!!

I agree 100%. I tell my kids that God forbid anything like that happens to them they will be visiting me in jail. This is why I have both my kids enrolled in a karate program where they have been learning mixed martiaI arts. My 14 yo daughter is a brown level 2 and can take down a 200+lb adult if she wanted to. I want to know where the fathers of those kds he allegedly molested were when this happened?

I could care less about college sports and have always wondered why many college coaches were idolized the way they were. Many are made out to be some sort of Gods. Way too much power is given to them. This Paterno got what he deserved. Maybe he didn't commit the crime, but I can't believe he didn't know something was going on. The guy was his right hand man, NO way he couldn't have suspected something. Simply way too many of these perverts out there preying on children. So much of it is swept under the rug, that it really makes one think how much more of it might be going on out there?

I agree 100%. I tell my kids that God forbid anything like that happens to them they will be visiting me in jail. This is why I have both my kids enrolled in a karate program where they have been learning mixed martiaI arts. My 14 yo daughter is a brown level 2 and can take down a 200+lb adult if she wanted to. I want to know where the fathers of those kds he allegedly molested were when this happened?

These kids were from broken homes... He started a children foundation which basically gave him unlimited access to kids with issues.

http://deadspin.com/5856777/a-guide-to-the-sexual-child-abuse-charges-against-jerry-sandusky-and-to-penn-states-alleged-willful-ignorance

Regarding the Karate, that's a great idea, and something I'll be doing with my daughter once she gets old enough.

I think if you taught every kid karate out there, these things would still happen. Kids unfortunately can be easily persuaded at times and they don't always have to be from broken homes either. It's a crazy world out there. These predators can be anywhere, many times it can even be relatives. You drop your kids off with your sister-in-law for example to baby sit them and her husband, boyfriend, son, friend can be one of these perverts. These bastards can hide better than any leopard in the jungle searching for its next meal. That is why anyone who has the smallest of suspicions needs to speak up as soon as possible if not faster.

To an extent I agree with you Steve. However, I have instilled in my kids from a very young age that no one is allowed to touch them inappropriately not even family and that they need to speak up even if they suspect someone. Also, by providing them with the benefit of learning how to defend themselves should they ever be in such a situation whether it is as a child or even as an adult, they will know enough to be able to get themselves out of the situation and also do some damage to their aggressor. Is it going to prevent all those pervs out there from continuing what they are doing? Probably not, but as far as my kids are concerned, I truly believe so.

These kids were from broken homes... He started a children foundation which basically gave him unlimited access to kids with issues.

http://deadspin.com/...llful-ignorance

Regarding the Karate, that's a great idea, and something I'll be doing with my daughter once she gets old enough.

John, I started both my kids at 5 y.o. through the Nassau County Police Athletic League. My daughter is almost 15 and my son is now 10 1/2. I don't want this to sound like I'm selling you something but they are located all over Nassau. The past two years they changed the curriculum from basic Kenpo (simple forms & basic self defense) to TSD (Tactical Solutions for Defense) http://www.pfs-liny.com/index.html It is essentially street fighting, using anything and everything you have or can find as a weapon to disable your aggressor. The instructor in my area is Andrew Hall. He is a good friend of mine and he has been teaching for the last 25 years and many blackbelts have come out of his program. I don't know how old your daughter is but you should look into it.

Of course instilling in our kids what others should never do to them is very important and certainly can help prevent such crimes. As far as all kids out there being able to fight out of a situation like that, I don't know. Maybe some can, but I wouldn't count on every kid out there to be able to floor a strong male adult and I wouldn't want to think of how it might enrage these perverts and what else they would want to do to these poor kids. Most recommendations I've read on what kids should do is to go find another adult, who is removed from the situation and tell them. Not an easy situation to be in for a kid, that's for sure.