Man dead after fight with deer

erussell

See it on TV all the time, they walk or run up and start cheering and maybe they poke it with a gun barrel. Paying no attention to direction that they approach from and never use a stick, I suspect alot of fellas are lucky that their deer are dead when they approach. Me, I send my brother in so if its still alive he gets it and not me.

See it on TV all the time, they walk or run up and start cheering and maybe they poke it with a gun barrel. Paying no attention to direction that they approach from and never use a stick, I suspect alot of fellas are lucky that their deer are dead when they approach. Me, I send my brother in so if its still alive he gets it and not me.

Your brother must really love you. LOL

Something doesn't add up. His son returned the call at 10:30, and the father told him he had a scuffle with the deer. Then at 12:30, he called park officals, for help in transport. In 2 hours, he didn't know he had been stabbed. That kind of a wound into his liver, he had to know he needed medical attention.

that's not necessarily true Steve.....I came upon two dogs ...actually only saw the one due to terrain....well It had been tugging on what I thought was a caught chain....as I came up from behind it ...it turned and was covered in blood and charged me...I shot from the hip...actually missing him and the ricochet hit the other dog behind him...but it stopped the charge...any how ..it was a doe and they had taken her down ...as I approached I saw her eyes were glazed over and her tail was laying next to her head...her rump was gone....I walked to her back side and grab a foot to inspect damage....she jumped up knocking me around and was screaming like a woman being killed...yes screaming....I still.. nightmares about it...I hadn't ejected the shell from last shot and was having a hard time with it...by now my mind was all but fried... .she was 10 yards from me on her knees and I was able to put one in her brain....but let me tell you she looked very dead before I grabbed that foot....

The Sheriff that came out said it looked like they had been attacking her for a long time....they had...at least 30 mins...for I was hunting a 1/4 mile away and the non stop barking made me think our dogs were in trouble...when I saw they weren't I just followed the sound and found them on the back side of our other property

Grows stories are interesting thats for sure. my father and uncle tells stories that if you didn't know them you would think they were just telling a good story and not believing what happened to them or what they saw. but when my aunts chime in with another detail to the story, then i know its true. So i believe her wacky stories. Think thats why the one of her getting her ass kicked by a deer makes me laugh harder than i have in a long time

ppl say I should write a book...I just reply ...but if I weren't the one living it...I wouldn't believe a 1/3 of it my self...lol.... and let me say..... this incident....really hits home as to how very...very...luck I was just to look like a bruised turd after my roll in the snow with that buck .....I poked this years buck in the face a dozen or so times with an arrow before I grabbed his rack

The only other I would like to add is when you come up on your " trophy." It is very easy to get caught up in the moment. Sometimes excitement over powers common sense. Step back, take a deep breath, and catch your wit. Think, use what ever works for you, to see if the animal is expired. I always worry about my sons, and hope dad has taught them well, and they use that head of theirs.

OMG Steve.....hahahaha...all you married hunters out there be fore warned...lock the trophy room door before a fight!! :lol::P

Yeah, just after we all figured out how to move in that 600 lbs gun safe on the other thread to have the guns locked up good and tight from the Mrs. now we see this! LOL I wonder if they will be aiming for the liver or elsewhere???

Bad deal, how unfortunate... :(

Thats a bad deal right there. I was always taught to find a long stick and poke the deer in the eye for a minute or so before getting right up to it and trying to handle it.

This is the best way of it; if the brain is still firing at all, the animal will blink if you poke its open eye with a stick or any other long object. Stay well back until you know for sure!

My dad told me this story; he is a super 'by-the-law, extra caution, go slow' sort of fellow. He was out hunting with a bunch of my uncles and such, when he came across a 'dead' buck. It was laying, curled up, sort of half-bedded, like a deer will do to die if it's not hit hard. It wasn't quite 'right' and it was stretched out a bit, really looked dead as could be. Well, he got on his radio with my uncles (back then an old CB radio that took about 12 batteries!) to see if any of them had shot a deer, etc. No, no one had, but my one uncle came over to check it out. They stood a ways off, talking loudly-- no movement from the deer. No breathing movements (that they could see), no ear movements, nothing. My uncle wanted to look it over but my dad cautioned him to wait a minute, and he got a stick and poked that deer in the eye. Like a shot that buck stood up and ran off! Scared the crap out of my dad and uncle. They were too startled to even think about shooting him. They looked at his 'bed' and no blood. To this day he can't figure out of the buck was just THAT exhausted, or if it was deaf, or what the heck was wrong with it.

Edited by Jennifer

that's not necessarily true Steve.....I came upon two dogs ...actually only saw the one due to terrain....well It had been tugging on what I thought was a caught chain....as I came up from behind it ...it turned and was covered in blood and charged me...I shot from the hip...actually missing him and the ricochet hit the other dog behind him...but it stopped the charge...any how ..it was a doe and they had taken her down ...as I approached I saw her eyes were glazed over and her tail was laying next to her head...her rump was gone....I walked to her back side and grab a foot to inspect damage....she jumped up knocking me around and was screaming like a woman being killed...yes screaming....I still.. nightmares about it...I hadn't ejected the shell from last shot and was having a hard time with it...by now my mind was all but fried... .she was 10 yards from me on her knees and I was able to put one in her brain....but let me tell you she looked very dead before I grabbed that foot....

Wild dogs or coyote?

They were the neighbors labs...a very big yellow and the dark brown one....the Sheriff found the owner in his garage pulling the lead fragments out of his butt...they had hidden the yellow and denied owning it...The DEC said I was darn lucky to have been hunting at the time....that the yellow that charged would have gone for my throat....that they had worked them selves into a feeding frenzy...scared the hell out of me.....Didn't teach the owner anything....two years later I ran into him and he told me the yellow was dead...it's heart blew out chasing deer...JACK A-- :mda:

I never saw the deer when I shot...but still due to having to protect myself the DEC wouldn't have charged me...it's illegal to shoot a dog chasing or killing deer