Thermos

loworange88

Yeah, I bring a thermos. I've had to put the cup down several times to pick up my rifle and shoot a deer. Deer can probably smell our sweaty socks, underwear, etc. so I won't be worried about it smelling what's inside my thermos. If the deer will smell us, they will smell us before we pull the thermos out.

I dont take the chance. I bring nothing but a bottle of room temp water.

If you bring a plastic bottle of water, it surely won't be "room temp" after a few hours in the stand on a cold day. Even if the bottle is in your backpack it will be quite cold. My experience has been that a warm drink can definitely help keep someone in the stand longer.

If you bring a plastic bottle of water, it surely won't be "room temp" after a few hours in the stand on a cold day. Even if the bottle is in your backpack it will be quite cold. My experience has been that a warm drink can definitely help keep someone in the stand longer.

i agree, and u notice how rediculously noisy those bottles are???

my son bought me a camel pack a few years ago....I fill it with very warm water and put it on my back..... then I put my hunting suit on over it on very cold days....makes leaning my back against a cold tree much more pleasant and when I need a drink the water valve is pinned to my collar....so I look like the hunch back...I'm not that hot looking in orange camo and 3 layers of clothes any how....lol

my son bought me a camel pack a few years ago....I fill it with very warm water and put it on my back..... then I put my hunting suit on over it on very cold days....makes leaning my back against a cold tree much more pleasant and when I need a drink the water valve is pinned to my collar....so I look like the hunch back...I'm not that hot looking in orange camo and 3 layers of clothes any how....lol

My pack that I carry is a Camel back. I didnt think to put Hot or Warm water in it. I might do that the next time I have a long cold sit. Thanks for the tip and saving me money....not having to go out and get a thermos right away. B)

Something I posted on another site... though it was quite fitting to this thread :

I have had the same coffee thermos since my teenage years. It went to work on the farm with me every day for years, and it still goes hunting with me all the time. Every time I drink from it, the face reflected in the cup seems to get older and older, but it’s amazing the memories we share.
  • Like 1

I usually stick with a small flask looking thing w/water or maybe some gator that fits into about any pocket ot gear pack. However, sometimes when i day run or do a 9-3 I have a thermos I found at herb-phillipsons for about 10$ doesn't make any noise, isn't reflective and holds about 3-4 cups.

In the early part of the season just some water. If I drink too much.. well nature calls and I don't like it interrupting my hunt that way. In cold weather I prefer Chicken Noodle soup. A little extra starch to burn into body sugar helps stay warm.. just my theory. If nothing else.. If I ain't hungry and cold I'm bound to stay in the woods longer.

A friend of mine used to pour coffee from his thermos into a 20 ounce coke bottle . When he got to his stand and started feeling cold he would put the coffee bottle under his jacket and by his kidneys .When he finished the coffee from the pop bottle , he would pee into the bottle and again place the warm bottle against his kidneys . I could never bring myself to do that !

I bought a really good thermos at target a few years ago. I always bring coffe with me for long hunts in cold weather. As far as scent goes, I never get too crazy about it. I know guys that have killed many deer by smoking cigarettes, not peeing in a bottle, and eating whatever they want in the woods. Guess thats where luck comes into play. But a hot drink that may help you scent wise could be some hot apple cider.