Quietest Opening Day I Can Recall

nybuckboy

Pretty quiet morning here. Not too many shots, and none nearby. All the shots I heard-- for the first time that I've ever been out-- were singles. Usually you hear at least one series of shots where someone is shooting at a running deer, but not this year. I was actually quite happy to hear it.

Watched some does this morning moving and poking around casually, not spooked or pushed at all. Was wishing all my kingdom that I had a doe tag as a big lady doe was hanging out near my stand!

Four does and one little spike. All walked. No shots fired on my property and only one shot heard all day that was close by on one of my neighbor's. I agree, this was the absolute quietest I can remember in our southern Oneida county town . Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Edited by New York Hillbilly

There were quite a few shots in 7F for the first half hr of light then nothing until I climbed down at noon. I saw 4 doe and a little 8. They all got a pass. Hopefully the firearms season will be a little better this year. High winds and pissy warm weather keeping me out of the stand this morning. Maybe I'll get out for the evening hunt.

I've been saying that right along for the last few years that every year is quieter than the last. Yesterday was ridiculous. Also, more and more guys are coming out for only a half day.

But, they must be getting more efficient than ever before because when I took my deer over to the procesor around 11:00 am, he already had the conveyor full of skinned deer and bunches of deer waiting to be skinned laying all over the ground. I'm not sure how unusual that is because I have never took a deer over that early opening day, but there was a pile of them already.

So what's going on? Whoever would have thought that opening day of gun season would be getting so deserted. I finally had to ask my Brother-in-law who's been hunting with me for decades if I was simply having one of those senior recall failures when I start getting the notion that hunter activity used to be so much greater 20 or 30 years ago. He assured me that it really is not just my imagination. The change is dramatic. By the way, surprising to me, the change to Saturday seems to have made it even worse. To me it seems like the change is way more than the annual couple of percentage points of decline that the DEC keeps talking about. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a significant number of people who buy licenses and then don't go out hunting. Actually I do know a few like that.

i think every one around me is just stand hunting and dont want to spook the deer of their land for the nextdoor neighbor to shoot.So there isn't any driving them.Very few shots more than one at a time,meaning they are probably ambush hunting and taking aim instead of shooting at a jumped deer.

I just came back in from getting the paper (not able to hunt today), and when I was crossing the road, I looked down toward the state land. Yesterday there were some trucks parked on the side of the road down there, today, nothing. Now I cant see the main parking lot from here, as its on another road, but my guess would be theres only a few guys up there this morning.

I was hunting near Mexico, NY opening day with a couple inches of snow. Saw a few deer tracks, only a few shots off in the distance but no deer in my area. Fighting a bad cold with lots of coughing today but will be back out hunting Monday assuming I feel better. At 63 I need to take care of myself plus I don't enjoy hunting in the rain anymore. It is hell to get OLD!

I'm in 4Z. Yesterday there was a round of shots at sunrise. It's been pretty quiet today I saw two does yesterday and two more today. The Only bucks were on the side of the road as I drive by. Oh, and the pictures my friend emailed me if deer in their yard.

Edited by Dstone001

Little breezy this morning here. Someone had to get a deer very badly, early this morning. Two shots went off at 6:28 A.M.. Yesterday was so so in the A.M. Normal shots fired. The afternoon, deer came in, at 4:15, passed on an 8 at 62 yds. Happy with the pass, looking for something a little bigger. Seen a few others . Watched a doe work a scrape, had a shooter come a little later, working the same scrape, out of range.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

8h where I hunt, farm land north of 5/20 was great.We took deer and everyone saw more then most opening days. They were running fields all day,chasing .

Today i popped a nice doe by 8:00 buck chasing 3 doe in clover, lots of shoots too.

When we brought our bucks to the meat cutter at 7:00 we were numbers 26 and 27.