Would you pass on this one?

TEAZER

Some one please shed some light on this. im a 24 year old newbie hunter, learner from my dad.. only picked up visuals. hunted last year got nothing. played with the scanner most if time every time i heard a shot. i have abt 300 acres behind my 12. that 300 is not occupied and is a land lock property. behind me is a hunting club.. they obviously take advantage..... anyway this sat morning was one shot after the other.

touching on teazers post, everyone is taking deer all around me... and you know how hard it is to get a 3H dmp tag so you already know whats going on. would you take any spike or buck over 3 points?

Some one please shed some light on this. im a 24 year old newbie hunter, learner from my dad.. only picked up visuals. hunted last year got nothing. played with the scanner most if time every time i heard a shot. i have abt 300 acres behind my 12. that 300 is not occupied and is a land lock property. behind me is a hunting club.. they obviously take advantage..... anyway this sat morning was one shot after the other.

touching on teazers post, everyone is taking deer all around me... and you know how hard it is to get a 3H dmp tag so you already know whats going on. would you take any spike or buck over 3 points?

Yes the only thing i wouldn't take it a spike but if it's a nice 4 i'll take it just like 90% of other people don't worry what other people think lead your own path!!

It all depends. If it was going to be my first deer or first buck, he'd probably hit the dirt. Today I would pass, he's a yearling. My buddy shot a 3yr old 8pt- he thought about letting him go. I asked him if it was his biggest buck ever-yes. I said, "Well there you go."

Congrats on a nice buck!

It appears to be 1.5 years old. I would pass. Passed on 2.5 year old 8 point today so I can honestly say I would let him go. The 1.5 year olds taste great though. Whether or not you take him is dependent on a lot of factors.

3Hrookie,

Most spikes and fork horns are two in the same, I don't know why one would be willing to take a fork and not a spike. If a DMP fills your freezer and you want a chance on a nice buck I would pass those little ones up, but if you need more meat put one down. The young ones taste better anyways.

TEAZER question for ya do want to shoot a good buck 100"or better??

if so us as hunters shouldnt kill small bucks to many guys shoot whatever im not saying hold out for a booner but atlest a 100" deer is a good mark. If everyone did this across the state we all would be killing better and bigger bucks. I my self would be embarresed to even shoot any thing under 100" thats just me, ive killed small bucks yes but i was 12. I always try and kill a bigger or atleast the same size buck as the previous years kill.

congrats on your kill and yes this deer is 1.5 and looks to have good genes yes he would of been a great deer @ 3.5yrs old. you can tell is age by his mass on is antlers,as well as the shorter snout.

These are the deer you have to pass, passing isnt a bad thing it makes you a better hunter and strengthens your patiences.

These questions and opinions of to take or not to take are crazy. There are so many variables in deer management and hunting. How much land to you own? What are the other local hunters practicing? What is the buck to doe ratio? How healthy is your population/herd?

Coming from somebody who started hunting on a farm that practiced QDM, I would have taken him! I missed out on so many bucks as a kid, and was only allowed to shoot certain bucks. It sucked! That's not what hunting should be about. You can't eat the horns. Unless you own 500+ acres, and have the support of other local land ownders, QDM is a waste of time.

• Like 1