Recommended Posts

Any feet down beat down this weekend? I'm still seeing mostly residents,  still a little slow but learned alot and spent some time in some beautiful places.

20190901_193136.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, Kmartinson said:

Does anyone want to get thier dog a workout? 100 Geese in a rough spot. Big swamp need a retriever for an awesome shoot.

I wanted to say that I took kmartison up on the offer and hunted geese with him last weekend.  He’s got it figured out up in the finger lakes.  My dog got a nice retrieve in the swamp.  Some better shooting on my end and we would’ve gotten a nice pile of geese. I had a terrific time and learned a lot 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I wanted to say that I took kmartison up on the offer and hunted geese with him last weekend.  He’s got it figured out up in the finger lakes.  My dog got a nice retrieve in the swamp.  Some better shooting on my end and we would’ve gotten a nice pile of geese. I had a terrific time and learned a lot 

kmartison is an awesome guy and puts you on geese. I did the opener with him and we dropped a few that day. Wish my shooting would have been better too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never hunted goose or duck and I have a bunch flying over all the time, always amazed at the snow goose flights.  


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, G-Man said:

Never hunted goose or duck and I have a bunch flying over all the time, always amazed at the snow goose flights.  

Let's bust thier beaks. Follow the morning flights and ill bring a hundred dekes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Let's bust thier beaks. Follow the morning flights and ill bring a hundred dekes. 

They land on the lake or farmers field next to lake. Once in awhile I'll get 50 or so duck land on the pond, ,buffle heads and wood ducks.   Never tried to get them to land in my food plots but I'm sure they would . Canada geese do. 


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be sad my man.... we have some late season gooses during some of the duck seasons! Pretty soon we can do mid day rabbit hunt over the beagles too! After you slock one and tag out on the hot early feed you can come down and shoot some Susie's! Also im in 5000 acres of public that hold some whitetail and have gotten a few boots on the ground, my first couple weeks of archery will be there when the weather permits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, G-Man said:

They land on the lake or farmers field next to lake. Once in awhile I'll get 50 or so duck land on the pond, ,buffle heads and wood ducks.   Never tried to get them to land in my food plots but I'm sure they would . Canada geese do. 

Ducks love crops especially in late season. Is there water access, we have some floaters? Does the farmer allow goose hunting? I've been really fortunate in my quest for goose ag. And highly recommend the door knock method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Ducks love crops especially in late season. Is there water access, we have some floaters? Does the farmer allow goose hunting? I've been really fortunate in my quest for goose ag. And highly recommend the door knock method.

The one does I know.  I see early.canada hunters there from time to time.  Cant say I've ever seen anyone hunt lake ,but they drain it 10ft and water would be hard to get to. Valley is flyway for snow geese it seems .


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, G-Man said:

Never hunted goose or duck and I have a bunch flying over all the time, always amazed at the snow goose flights.  

Then you my Gman haven’t lived 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sodfather said:

Then you my Gman haven’t lived 

Just never had anyone to learn from, could jump shoot woodies off creek but doenst seem.right ,or when about 100 buffleheads landed on pond 50 yards from house...  


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Just never had anyone to learn from, could jump shoot woodies off creek but doenst seem.right ,or when about 100 buffleheads landed on pond 50 yards from house...  

Any legal kill is a honest hunt. Sometimes we go day after day without any luck. So we find a roost pond and do a sneak attack. There are alot of variables but im into eating wild game and wing shooting birds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The one does I know.  I see early.canada hunters there from time to time.  Cant say I've ever seen anyone hunt lake ,but they drain it 10ft and water would be hard to get to. Valley is flyway for snow geese it seems .

we hunt below the low.water mark in late season on cayuga.  More of a duck set up but we get lucky once in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This late season goose almost drown me.... hypothermia is real, this was a hunt I wont forget. That bird was a 747, it filled a 12 pack duck decoy bag. Shot in last 3 minutes of.legal shooting.

20191201_173624.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Just never had anyone to learn from, could jump shoot woodies off creek but doenst seem.right ,or when about 100 buffleheads landed on pond 50 yards from house...  

ill take ya anytime

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Any legal kill is a honest hunt. Sometimes we go day after day without any luck. So we find a roost pond and do a sneak attack. There are alot of variables but im into eating wild game and wing shooting birds.

Shooting the roost is something I never like to do . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just never had anyone to learn from, could jump shoot woodies off creek but doenst seem.right ,or when about 100 buffleheads landed on pond 50 yards from house...  

Woodies are fantastic eating, take a couple and see


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Never hunted goose or duck and I have a bunch flying over all the time, always amazed at the snow goose flights.  

We also get a ton on our side of the interstate during bow season ,I hear them honking like crazy in the cut corn and in my buddies pond while im sitting in the stand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, small game hunting and wingshooting in particular, can be more exciting than deer hunting. That is, unless you're @Buckmaster7600 and you hike across mountain ranges in pursuit of the game. Having birds come in so fast that you don't have time to reload your gun is a lot of fun. It's also usually more of a group outing. Deer hunting is awesome. It's hard to beat the rush of adrenaline when you send it, and definitely yields more meat when you have a successful hunt, but it's much more of a solitary thing.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

IMHO, small game hunting and wingshooting in particular, can be more exciting than deer hunting. That is, unless you're @Buckmaster7600 and you hike across mountain ranges in pursuit of the game. Having birds come in so fast that you don't have time to reload your gun is a lot of fun. It's also usually more of a group outing. Deer hunting is awesome. It's hard to beat the rush of adrenaline when you send it, and definitely yields more meat when you have a successful hunt, but it's much more of a solitary thing.

We're still waiting to see the track from his gps so we can see what kind of terrain the deer traveled that he followed for 10 miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sodfather said:

Shooting the roost is something I never like to do . 

I hunt roosts when I dont have any other opportunities to hunt the birds roosted there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...