Cutting a deers throat..

wooly

If after pulling that trigger or releasing that arrow, you don't feel at least some sort or regret or empathy for the animal, you shouldn't be hunting

Then according to you, I should not be hunting. And farmers should not be slaughtering their animals for market.

The day I feel regret, empathy, or sorrow over cleanly killing an animal - farm or wild - will be the last time I do it. To me, those are negatives emotions and I cannot understand why anyone who felt that way would seek them out. I've been killing animals (never watonly) for over 50 years for food and pest control and am comfortable about not ever feeling sorry about one of them.

Never had to cut a throat, but I've seen the knife in the heart, and it sounds like that is the most effective way to end their misery.

I have been very fortunate, for the past 13 years and haven't had a messy kill since I was 18. I remember, very poignantly, the look a doe gave me right before I gave her a 12 gauge round to the cranium (and made a huge mess out of my hunting clothes). I imagine most of us have seen at some point. "Why the %^&* did you do this to me?" Look. Hated it. I still hunt, and while I'm a little de-sensitized to it, I think it gives us as hunters a higher appreciation for life, and our oppurtunity to live it. Even the big buck kills where I'm absolutely AMPED about my success, I always feel a little sad. I can tell you if I catch up with the big boy I've been dogging for 3 years now, and take him, I'll probably sit down next to him and feel pretty sad that I'll never see his big self cruising through the woods we've shared for at least 4 or 5 years now.

Very true... It's almost like you have a relationship with that deer you have been hunting for years. But damn, he is tasty when you get him... LOL

You sound like NYantler talking about deer. Maybe we can find him on a bug forum? He probably calls himself NYbugger. LOL

Carefull me and him are bff's now. Its all about finding a bug with proper wingspan, I could go into bug biology but it would bee over your head. And yes I spelled be that way on purpose.

• Like 1

LOL thank goodness you guys have a sense of humor. I came back to this thread this morning shaking my head but then got to this page and was relieved!

I don't know about you guys but I only take a swatter to the roaches that are good enough to mount. Why bother otherwise? If it's not good enough to mount, it's not a trophy. Geez.

tumblr_lkmws2O8de1qhefolo1_500.jpg

I figured if I left you fellas long enough you'd find a way have some fun and stop thinking that we all need to reflect everytime we experience death in the wild... I would have joined in but I was bug hunting in Montezuma swamp.. I think something bit me while i was hunting.. I'm feeling kinda funny

post-525-0-42169000-1322699615.jpg

Edited by nyantler

I figured if I left you fellas long enough you'd find a way have some fun and stop thinking that we all need to reflect everytime we experience death in the wild... I would have joined in but I was bug hunting in Montezuma swamp.. I think something bit me while i was hunting.. I'm feeling kinda funny

Don't worry if it bit you it probably died of sarcasm.

so where were we before you guys jumped into the kiddie pool??

oh yeah.. yes,deer feel pain.. they just don't process it the same way.. and they don't know what the word suffering means.. we do.. so we think we can determine when a deer is suffering... and I don't need to cut a throat to have reverence for an animal or for human life... cutting a deer's throat is what we were talking about right?

While they may not process suffering the same way we do the reality is they do feel pain. That reaction is not processed as an emotion and expanded into suffering but pain is real as the instincts you mentioned.

you are absolutely correct culver.. but we aren't talking about pain.. pain is not an emotion and doesn't require congnitive thought to feel... suffering is subjective and deer are not capable of being subjective

Edited by nyantler

you are absolutely correct culver.. but we aren't talking about pain.. pain is not an emotion and doesn't require congnitive thought to feel... suffering is subjective and deer are not capable of being subjective

Joe, is this philosophy 101? Why are you making this so complicated? I think we all get it!!

We kill animals don't we?? And killing leads to death, don't it?? How a hunter can say that there are NO lessons to be learned about death while hunting is beyond me. If there is NO lesson to be learned, then our killing of the animal has little significance and we might as well just leave it laying in the field. Your trophy then has little value and the meat I get from a deer should not be treasured anymore than a McDonalds hamburger. I myself think there are plenty of lessons to be learned from the death we see in hunting. It even makes some of us reflect on our own inevitable deaths and of those we love. Today it was the deers turn to take it's last gasp in life, in the future it will be our turn. It is one thing that ALL life forms have in common. A good thing to keep in back of our minds in my opinion.

Well you go on teaching yourself about death while you're hunting or search for the meaning of life... maybe it will take a few more throat cuttings before you'll understand your own mortality... and I don't treasure deer meat.. I treasure my family... i eat deer meat because it taste good... I understand that it comes from one of Gods creatures.. I learned that in grade school... I also have experienced enough children dying of cancer, and the loss of loved ones to understand human mortality... I try to keep my hunting as a way of distancing myself from all those unpleasantries and just stick to enjoying my time in the woods while hunting... I don't force reverence of wildlife on myself by slitting an animals throat.. it happens all by itself just by the experiences I have in the woods and I can feel it whether I kill something or not... if you want to learn something about death .. go to your local children oncology ward.. I promise you won't need to kill a deer to learn what you need to know about the importance of life.

Doesn't appear to me that you get it at all...

Joe, that's your problem you think you have all the answers and everyone else is ill informed. What does the oncology ward have to do with this thread? You are reading too much into this topic if you want to talk oncology start another thread don't hijack this one to suite your self.