Anyone hunt other stuff while deer hunting ?

BaldguyLee

Hi guys. I'm 42 but only a second year hunter. So don't light me up too bad if this sounds dumb, just explain why.

I usually hunt alone and on state land. On a lot of slow- to- dead mornings I find myself wanting to harvest some squirrels if they're thick. I haven't yet because so far, I only carry a 12ga for deer and dont want to vaporize the 'rats', and also I'm unsure of the etiquette / general feelings on taking other game in deer woods during regular season. I already considered proximity to other hunters out of consideration of course. I also figure that shooting at squirrels would end my deer chances for a good while, so I wouldn't engage the rodents until I was ready to leave for the morning.

Share your thoughts. Thanks and let's get COLD !!!

-Lee

Lee,

I'm also an older (36) 2nd year hunter. Last year I didn't get my deer rifle until after the season was over so during deer season, I mainly hunted small game witha 12 gauge (#6 shot). The state land in my area, I was able to find empty spots after the 1st week of deer season. Especially in areas that have patches of shotgun only zones. As far as scaring deer away, well that's for you to decide. This year during bow season, I always carry a couple of blunt heads but I never used them because I too kept thinking the deer might be just around the corner and to me, a deer in the bush is worth two squirrels in hand. You have to decide what do you want. The squirrel in hand or a small chance a deer might be in sight. You wouldn't be using the same shotgun cartridge and choke for squirrels as you would for deer. For squirrel, use a modified or improved modified choke with #6 or #7 shot. Anything larger would destroy the meat.

i have taken 2 grouse this year while deer hunting, this was done with them sitting on the ground and shooting them in the head with my rifle, tough to do but good eating. I own my own property and am disturbing noone, i wouldn't recommend taking bird shot with you when hunting a simple mistake could be made either shooting a deer with birdshot or game with a slug. and im not even sure if it is legal to carry both with you. If you find a good area for squirrel take a day or and afternoon and hunt them!

Fairly certain carrying two different types of shells is a no no. Realise bushytails can be anoying and thick but personaly I wouldn't sacrifice my deer spot over them. Chipmonks are like mice when mast is down. Now Bowhunting, I took out 2 porcupines while in stand. Wouln't mind taking out some yotes either.

Thanks so far, guys. I forgot about the grouse and porc's. I've hunted near both.

I've even thought about bringing a .22 with me along with my deer 12ga. Any thoughts? I couldn't tell if carrying two guns is OK w/ DEC.

Oh yeah, my season for deer's been poor like lots of yours. Regular seas week one, I saw only one deer -through tons of cover- no shot- that's from 12 morns or aftrn trips. No organized drives or pushes though. Week two and counting I've been unable to get out.

Off of DEC website, it states it is ok to carry 22 pistol during deer season so as long as it is not used for deer. Since you will be carrying a slug gun with you, it is easy for you to prove that you had no intention of using the 22 on a deer. I'm not sure if this applies to 22 rifles though.

From DEC's FAQ page:

Q: Can I carry my .22 caliber rim-fire handgun with me while I'm big game hunting?

A: Yes, but only during the regular deer season or early and regular bear seasons and only if you have a NYS pistol permit. You may not use the .22 caliber rim-fire as a primary or secondary weapon to take deer or bear. You may not possess a firearm of any description while bowhunting.

While hunting for deer I always keep a eye out for yotes and bear, kinda hard to get the yotes to stop but if I can I will take them... Bear depends how far in and how big the bear is, I don't feel like dragging something larger than a big deer, the deer almost killed me...So I usually do not go for bear. I would not bring dif shotgun rounds, better off to have a small BB gun or pistol for the varmints. I like to keep the two dif types of hunting separate due to regulations and firearms...

Not when I make the ride to NY, no. That;s strictly a deer or turkey hunt, but I might whack a coyote if I could get one to stand still long enough to get a shot. :scratchhead:( Not during spring turkey).

Here in PA-all the time. In my part of the state, deer is shotgun only, I use a smooth bore, and if squirrels are in season, I'll take a handful of #6s with me. But they are catching on, as soon as they hear the click of me cracking the barrel open to change shells, they're off and running.

Edited by Uncle Nicky