So if shooting out of a tree stand ?

luberhill

6 minutes ago, ncountry said:

No.. Picture where the arrow is going to exit and aim appropriately.

As long as you maintain proper form(bending at waist, not dropping arm) your point of impact doesnt change..

Crossbow. No need to have proper form or bend at the waist.

To answer the question-

I would put the cross hairs on the hair you aim to hit and pull the trigger.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Thanks 1

It depends on how steep of an angle looking down at a 60 degree slope looosnfurther than it is. Unless your hunting high in a tree on a side of a steep hill you shouldn't have a problem at a reasonable range. 

No range finder ....If your not sure if the range pick a tree that is next to your target and look at it on your level though the base may seem 50 yards straight out from your stand will tell you its 20  unless tree has huge lean , but they tend to grow pretty straight

With a vertical bow, form, bend at waist, etc come into play but not with a crossbow.  I always put some ribbons out at 50 yards, in a few different directions, at all my stands to help out with the range estimate on deer.

If the deer is inside of those ribbons, it is in range for my Centerpoint sniper.  It needs to be 10 yards closer for my Barnett recruit.  If there are no ribbons, I range a few objects, as soon as I get in the stand with my laser range finder.  It helps to do that before a deer shows up.

Edited by wolc123

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

With a vertical bow, form, bend at waist, etc come into play but not with a crossbow.  I always put some ribbons out at 50 yards, in a few different directions, at all my stands to help out with the range estimate on deer.

If the deer is inside of those ribbons, it is in range for my Centerpoint sniper.  It needs to be 10 yards closer for my Barnett recruit.  If there are no ribbons, I range a few objects, as soon as I get in the stand with my laser range finder.  It helps to do that before a deer shows up.

I do the same thing. Once the sun is up enough to see, i range several trees to make guesstimating ranges on deer easier. 

From a 15-18' tree stand I try to envision where I want the arrow to exit the far side of the deer's body and make the appropriate aiming point on the near side. All while envisioning the deer's vitals. The angle of the shot, distance and the deer's anatomy all come into play!

For any new hunter, Deer & Deer Hunting has a shot simulator software that shows all shot entrances, exits and vitals hit. Can manipulate distances & both angles. Probably a good investment for a newbie bow hunter, either vertical or crossbows. Believe it's ~$15.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1