Vacuum packed meat

the blur

Anyone open meat 2-3 hours after is vacuumed packed? (not after it's frozen and defrosted) But immediately after it's packaged.

I opened 2 packages to BBQ, and the SULFUR odor was so bad, I threw the meat away.

Not sure if the meat was bad, or it was from the vacuum packing process. it was terrilble. Stunk out the entire room.

Not to steal the thread but what kind of vacuum sealers are you using out there and what are the pros and cons in real life. I was going to buy one but they all seem to get terrible reviews. I bought some ziplock vacuum seal bags and used my vacuum cleaner hose to suck them down and it seems to work. If I knew of a good one that worked I would buy it as long as I know it works and holds the seal. Thanks.

Edited by Gizmo285

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Foodsaver a couple of years ago at Sams Club.I think it was around $140! One of the best investments I've ever made. I've had game keep for over a year and a half with no spoilage or freezer burn! The bag material is a little pricey but can be found on sale. It's great when buying in bulk and packaging into one meal sizes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Old post but I just openend a tube of venision sausage I vacuum packed with a food saver back in November. I had it in the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge. Tasted better than when I first made it. No freezer burn or anything. Just FYI..

Why would the meat smell like sulfur? Smelled plenty of stinky rotten meat, non of it smelling like sulfur. A food saver bag will last for more than a year. Not with venison though- 6 months.

Bull Hockey ! I have had venison that was packaged over a year and never had a problem with it for smell or taste .

I just dug into the bottom of my chest freezer and found 2 packages of 2009 venison and let me tell you it tasted just as good off the grill as the 2011 steak cooked right next to it, and yep it was all in vacumed sealed bags.

• Like 1

Buck and wdswtr,

You boys better get eaten! Better yet how about a barbeque at Bucks new house, that will finish off the meat! lol

(you get the house yet?)

LOL Venison on the menu once a week. How I missed those two old packages I have no idea. Pretty sure I will be out before season starts.