Dang! they killed 'em all

Doc

This past week I got only 3 pictures of the same little runty fawn. That includes 24 hour surveillance of three different areas each of which was giving 2 or 3 pictures every night prior to gun season. I can see all the movement changing to nocturnal, but I am not getting pictures at night either. See, they shot 'em all ..... lol.

The area that I am covering is primarily a thicket area which offers the kind of cover and concealed travel corridors that one would expect them to be in while the guns are banging away.

No, I'm not really all that concerned. This was the year that it seemed that all the bucks had come up missing until shortly after bow season began when they started coming out of the wood-work. It is interesting how they seem to be able to disappear for long periods of time. Tricky critters!!!

how big of an area are you surveying? one thicket on 20 acres is nothing... 4-5 cameras over a hundered acres maybe... But i agree they do know how to hide!!!

No, it's a relatively small area (probably in the neighborhood of 20 acres), but it is an area that has not seen a whole lot of pressure. It's one of those long thicket areas that is so tight that if you fall over you will never hit the ground. Also it is thick with those stinking multi-flora rose man-killers so it is not the kind of thing that anybody hunts (at least nobody that ever comes back out). And it is the perfect sanctuary ...... one would think. It was real popular for the deer before gun season. Maybe some day we will actually get some snow so that I can really see what is going on.

Is that the brutally sharp thorned bush found in the woods down there? I come across some while hunting 8m .I have never seen anything like it in 6a where I live. It makes berry briars seem gentle.

your not kidding i hunt in 8m and they are all over the place even in the middle of the golden rods this year they sure do hurt to walk threw thats for sure but those areas are nice to walk threw on drives the deer really love to hold up in some of these tangled messes.

its kind of funny 2 weekes ago i went threw a few of those purple thorn bushes and as usual a few got stuck in me and i took them out well a week later my finger has still been hurting now im on antibiotics because the thorn caused and infection in my finger boy does it hurt like hell lol

Is that the brutally sharp thorned bush found in the woods down there? I come across some while hunting 8m .I have never seen anything like it in 6a where I live. It makes berry briars seem gentle.

That's the stuff. The thorns are curled into a reverse position so that once you are hung into it, everytime you try to pull out, you are simply driving the thorns deeper into you. It truly is a man-trap.

I don't know how that stuff got started, or exactly when I first noticed it, but it was only a few decades back that that crap didn't exist down here at all. Used to be the worst pointy thing out there were the thornapple trees. Boy this stuff has thornapples beat by a mile.

There is a possibility that I didn't think about. If the legs are all shot up maybe they are actually there but are walking below the camera.

Talking about no legs. A " friend" shot a doe a couple of weeks ago that had one front leg shot off at the knee and the other was broken. She was stall navigating but not very well, poor girl.

LOL turning into a new breed of deer, damned pygmy deer!

Pygmy deer...That's the species I hunt.. <<grin>>...

Regarding the multiflora rose. Back in the 1950s, the DEC was promoting it...They called it " the living hedge" and claimed it would not spread, so a lot of landowners planted it.

Of course, as we know NOW, the durn stuff spreads like wildfire. Birds eat the berries and then pass the seeds...NASTY stuff.. It DOES make good escape cover for the game, but it is horrible stuff to try to navigate through. I know of many places that are impossible to walk through due to the rose tangles. I've shed a lot of BLOOD due to those thorns over the years.

Yep. My hands look like pin cushions from doing drives this year where we had to push through that stuff. Its brutal.

All is better now! they came back. 133 pictures on one camera in 4 days. They're pretty much the same deer over and over, and they didn't bring any bucks with them, but at least there is some sign of life now.

Also, a couple of afternoons ago there were 5 nice sized does grazing in my front yard, just a couple dozen yards from the house ....... almost 4:00 in the afternoon.

So they finally figured that hunting season was pretty much over for this year and it's time to get back to normal. It's nice to know we haven't hunted them to extinction here.....lol.