Which would you prefer??

Grizz1219

all deer are expendible... I just threw that out there for those that claim they aren't into the antler thing.. let's see how not into antlers they really are...

Well I can get my fill of antlers durring shed season, but I sure don't want any more competition there.

Bad idea,lol

There are to many hunters in this state for ar not to high grade the herd especially on public land. as for 1 buck rule increasing buck numbers and size .. i think it would be minimal as everyone's wife or grandfathers or kids would buy their liecence just like they use to when you needed 4 people for a doe tag..(anyone else remember that) Joe has the only idea that would possibly work earn a buck or limiting buck tags.. pehaps everone gets a doe tag and bucks are by the current dmp lottery. Of couse i no dmp areas hunting licence would be by lottery only ..... although the state would keep the fee if you were turned down. I know a lot of good bucks are taken in the state every year so maybe work of mouth and qdm will keep shifting the deer hunting community into some form of management without legislation needing to be drafted. Remember if you dont see big bucks where you hunt you need to find another place to hunt if that is what your after! Trying to change a piece of state land into a trophy area will be near impossible unless you can control hunter numbers. (they have great tv shows that show hunters killing big bucks they just forget to tell you it only has 2 hunters on 640 acres. its not the food plots or the other must haves that allow these celebrities to kill big buck but no other hunters !!! Thus allowing most deer to reatch maturity so gee the mid west is teeming with big deer??? lol

• Like 1

I feel that both are not going to work. A/R or one buck. We have to teach the next generation in a different manner. Get them following the rules and let them see that by not following the rules only hurts us. Unfortunetly as soon as most kids get their hunting certifacation dads bending the rules( maybe not most) but to many anyway.

I feel if you want to see better deer hunting opertunity in NY you have to start at the beginning.

I feel that both are not going to work. A/R or one buck. We have to teach the next generation in a different manner. Get them following the rules and let them see that by not following the rules only hurts us. Unfortunetly as soon as most kids get their hunting certifacation dads bending the rules( maybe not most) but to many anyway.

I feel if you want to see better deer hunting opertunity in NY you have to start at the beginning.

There is definitely something to that

G-man says a lot of truth. The biggest factor in NY,Penn,Mich. and the like is the number of hunters.Its not just the buck/doe ratio,its the deer/hunter ratio that really comes into play.

i hunted a river bottom in Montana ( Marias river), we had 2 miles of it to ourselves, saw 2 hunters on top of a cooley way off one time. When i posted on a Montana hunting site, they wanted to know why we would hunt such a high pressure river bottom...

Where i hunt most of the land owners have been doing AR on their land for years, but one big factor is that all the land is now posted and patrolled, and we now have only a few hunters per farm as compaired with prior to AR when we let anyone hunt anywhere. Today its couple of hunters where there may have been a dozen or more prior. Just like the tv shows I guess,but those guys here had to go somewhere...... or quit hunting I guess,or maybe just poach where they used to hunt.

Edited by Larry302

AR sucks. I would sell my cabin if they went that way.Period. They did that crap here in Pa and it works just fine to produce bigger racks....if your one of those rack hunters. I hunt to fill the freezer and get out in the woods. Size of bone on the head makes no nevermind...I have a big 8 mounted and more laying around.Cost too much to mount them anymore. Limit me to 1 buck is fine if it would happen.

Yes, percentage of NY hunters that take 2 bucks.

Ok, the figure strikes me as being a little bit high, but if that is a DEC number, it probably is quite accurate.

So now I wonder just what that number would represent in "saved bucks" if a one buck rule were imposed. 5% statewide really doesn't strike me as significant enough to cause anyone to really detect a difference. Hardly worth the effort of going through the legislative process.....lol. Meanwhile, I think just the possibility of taking a second buck, regardless of how slight, may improve hunter participation and satisfaction even for those that are not successful in doubling up.

I don't know, to me a "one buck rule" seems like something with very little pay-off and perhaps more of a dis-incentive to hunters than actually something that is going to make much of a significant difference in buck population.

Hard to say exactly how many bucks would be "saved", but the real interesting question would be, if a guy can only take 1 buck per season, is that going to cause him to be more selective, at least at the beginning part of the season?

Not the guy who uses his wifes tag first .

Enforcement? What enforcement? What do they have, like 4 guys to cover all of 9h...and im sure the same goes for the rest of the state..

Pat that is exactly right where is the enforcement coming from. Especially if that Hydrofracking for natural gas gets passed in NYS. DEC can't even enforce game laws how can they monitor hundreds and even possibly the thousands of projected gas drilling sites all over the state. Hope the fracking gets voted down.

Pat that is exactly right where is the enforcement coming from. Especially if that Hydrofracking for natural gas gets passed in NYS. DEC can't even enforce game laws how can they monitor hundreds and even possibly the thousands of projected gas drilling sites all over the state. Hope the fracking gets voted down.

I happen to live right in the area where they are currently drilling and hope to frack.You could start a whole new topic or open a can of worms with that statement.LOL

If it were me owning property that was a prospect to frack..id be all for it, money wise and gas allowance..even get shirts made.."whats yer hydro fracken problem"..

I don't have a problem with it ,I'm all for energy independance.Our country needs it!

But alot of the people in this area are opposed to gas drilling in any shape or form.

I happen to live right in the area where they are currently drilling and hope to frack.You could start a whole new topic or open a can of worms with that statement.LOL

We have had this topic up for discussion before, even had a survey for pro or con.Was close to 50/50 split.

If it were me owning property that was a prospect to frack..id be all for it, money wise and gas allowance..even get shirts made.."whats yer hydro fracken problem"..

Pat how great would that shirt be when you and your family can't drink your water that is contaminated. Then the gas company tells you it's a naturally occuring process. But you never had the problem before the drilling started. And you can't do a dam thing about it except move. Edited by Dave