Most challenging way to kill a whitetail ?

zeke83

Hunt Moose River Plains, does not matter what you use, It's a challenge. Since 1991 I think my camp of about 2-8 guys(depending on year) have seen about 30-40 deer and only 6 of them were bucks... Not the greatest stats but thats forever wild... Try still hunting in the early season with any bow, I found it very hard with all the ground cover catching onto everything...

Try the Cedar river flow between Cedar lake and West lake especially around mud lake and ADK louie caves. Last time I was in there I saw a ton of rubs and tracks. Even my friend who hikes there all the time was impressed with all the deer sign.

I dunno....

1) Find a strong yet plyable tree,climb it and tie a rope to the top.Hook said rope to truck bumper and pull it down as far as you can.Then tie it off with a quick detach.Hook a cable to the end and on the other,have a big net layed out on the ground.Camo it all up and when the deer walks on said net,pull the quick release. When air born netted deer gets done thrashing/swinging about,finish off with a claw hammer.

I would say that in Ny it is probably a pistol or a longbow, but in my honest opinion, I dislike people who use the longbows. Pistols are one thing, they are probably not that challenging to an experienced handgun user, but longbows are another. Your average longbow is going to send arrows at 130 to 170 fps (average draw length and weight) which isnt very fast, opens the door for a bad shot, while a newer compound bow today is throwing arrows at 300+ fps. We as responsible hunters owe it to deer to do everything in our power to make sure it is a quick clean kill. This means updating equipment when we can (im not saying break the bank, but compound bows are pretty affordable now) and practicing until our faces turn blue. I am not a "tree hugger" or environmentalist or anything like that, Im an avid hunter and the sight of death doesnt bug me, but a bad placed shot is USUALLY the hunters fault, and could have been avoided. That animal has to suffer because the hunter wasnt responsible enough to practice a little more, or use a somewhat up to date weapon. Like I said just my opinion, I am impressed at what some guys can do with there longbows and recurves though, some guys are deadly accurate...

sneak into the local zoo get the big one on display and get out without gettign caught. This of course would mean since it is poaching you must wear undetectable camo. J/k

The by far most challenging way is to use a flintlock on a damp rainy snowy day. Try it once you will agree. The term keep your powder dry has a huge meaning

Edited by bubba

.......... I dislike people who use the longbows. Pistols are one thing, they are probably not that challenging to an experienced handgun user, but longbows are another. Your average longbow is going to send arrows at 130 to 170 fps (average draw length and weight) which isnt very fast, opens the door for a bad shot, while a newer compound bow today is throwing arrows at 300+ fps. We as responsible hunters owe it to deer to do everything in our power to make sure it is a quick clean kill. This means updating equipment when we can

Interesting thought, but I don't agree. Are you condemning the use of any kind of weapon that doesn't fit some arbitrary level of technology? You are aware that longbows have been used as effective hunting weapons for centuries? The fact is that all weapons have some limits and all are capable of mis-use. So what is it about the level of technology used in a longbow that makes that the line that you have drawn? Because sure as hell, as soon as you get those words out of your mouth, someone is going to start pointing out the limitations and the mis-uses of the compound. And it won't stop there until you have completely eliminated the entire concept of primitive weapons seasons.

Interesting thought, but I don't agree. Are you condemning the use of any kind of weapon that doesn't fit some arbitrary level of technology? You are aware that longbows have been used as effective hunting weapons for centuries? The fact is that all weapons have some limits and all are capable of mis-use. So what is it about the level of technology used in a longbow that makes that the line that you have drawn? Because sure as hell, as soon as you get those words out of your mouth, someone is going to start pointing out the limitations and the mis-uses of the compound. And it won't stop there until you have completely eliminated the entire concept of primitive weapons seasons.

I understand that it is quite effective, and like I said some guys are deadly accurate and it is pretty impressive. Im just saying a low end compound bow will produce a faster arrow than a long bow, thus reducing the chances of jumping the bowstring and getting bad shot placement. I'm not saying that it isn't effective, didn't pioneer bow hunting, and by no means telling anyone what to do, which is why I said that it was my opinion

I understand that it is quite effective, and like I said some guys are deadly accurate and it is pretty impressive. Im just saying a low end compound bow will produce a faster arrow than a long bow, thus reducing the chances of jumping the bowstring and getting bad shot placement. I'm not saying that it isn't effective, didn't pioneer bow hunting, and by no means telling anyone what to do, which is why I said that it was my opinion

Compounds are also alot louder, thus creating a higher chance for a deer to jump the string. I understand your logic but I feel it is flawed. Speed doesn't matter much to any one but the hunter who thinks it helps.

A Whitetail is perfectly capable of jumping the string of a 300+ fps highest tech available compound, even at short range. Its the Indian, not the arrow.

• Like 1

Compounds are also alot louder, thus creating a higher chance for a deer to jump the string.

Thats a good point. No rebuttal here. Duely noted.

A Whitetail is perfectly capable of jumping the string of a 300+ fps highest tech available compound, even at short range.

I agree that its capable, but less likely. I dont know. Didnt really want to initiate this kind of thread just share an opinion. Agree to disagree?

Disagree about what? A deer can jump the string on a fast bow, thats a fact, and has been documented on many occasions. I believe there was a video posted on this site during early archery season of a deer jumping the string at 15 or less yards on a brand new Mission bow, which shoots far faster than a recurve. Most of the high hits you hear about (lost the deer, over the spine, shot over the deer's back) are more than likely examples of deer jumping the string. Thats why no matter what bow you are shooting, you should be aiming at the lower 1/3 of the deer. Happens to everyone at some point. It is what it is, not looking to argue.

I have to agree that as you climb the ladder of technology, the challenge subsides and perhaps the opportunity for wounding losses may diminish. What the hell, anytime you challenge yourself with more primitive equipment, getting the job done becomes more difficult. Actually, for those that don't know, that is why we started primitive seasons in the first place was for the additional challenge. In fact that is what the whole concept of special seasons is based on. Otherwise why would we limit ourselves to a compound bow. Why not simply go out with the absolute best that technology has to offer. I'm certainly not going to try to convince anybody that a longbow is as efficient as a compound, or crossbow, or shotgun, or rifle. It's not! and that's why some take on the additional challenge of hunting with weapons that are not exactly space-age hunting implements. All I can say is, more power to those guys that take on the true challenge of hunting with that sort of handicap. They may not get the biggest and most deer, but the satisfaction has to be huge.

The longbow could be considered a lesser weapon compaired to a good compound.. all things being equal... but most trad bow hunters are highly practiced and considerably reduce their max shot yardage.. usually to 20 yards and under... with a good sharp arrow the deer probably doesn't know the difference when hit by one or the other... and most of the trad bow hunters I know would shoot similar groups as a compound at 20 and in. We really have to pull the unpracticed shooters out of the equation all together... they will be less proficient no matter what weapon they're shooting.