Bumper year for Red Fox?

BizCT

I’ve seen 2 red foxes in 3 days hunting so far in 2 different counties. I seen a few driving recently too. I have more trail cam pics of red foxes in 2020 than all prior years COMBINED. I know Jerkman saw 4 or 5 reds, Chef saw a few as well.

Was there a coyote die off or something? Or a bumper year of chipmunks leading to so many red foxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fur prices are down.....Many trappers and hunters are not targeting foxes because of that....Big difference from the days when you could average $50- $75 for a fox pelt......Many trappers who remember getting  the high prices for fox feel guilty for killing a beautiful red fox for ten bucks or less....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

You probably will be seeing more and more unless rabies, mange or coyotes takes over. Before coyotes disease was the controlling factor.

As Pygmy mentioned the prices on fox are terrible and with the borders closed there may not even be a market this year for any fur.

There is so much stockpiled  that prices on everything have dropped dramatically and a lot of guys won't be out at all this year.

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

I see fox every single time I hunt.  Fun to watch and the deer don’t seem to mind them. 

CCF94B5D-9880-4021-9728-7BF023B3DEB2.jpeg

Correct.... Grey or the bigger red fox have little to no affect on deer movement this time of year.   However, I've seen red's sitting in a field barking excessively at a coyote that was chasing it. Most yotes either had a arrow through them, or a 7mm-08 when chasing the reds, if close enough.

Edited by mowin

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Was there a coyote die off or something? Or a bumper year of chipmunks leading to so many red foxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think there's a lot to both except the yotes had a higher price on there skin last season and a lot of guys where trapping.I normally get at least one or two yotes daily on my cams and driveway camera not one since the spring.I also haven't heard any howling at all this year.I don't get any reds up by me but have plenty of owls working on the munks.