Nice 6.8 spc 2 performance.

moog5050

50yd shot on buck. Down in 20yds.  Took top of heart out and lungs but butchering showed hemorrhaging up neck.   Not the bullet I would have chose, but maybe I should rethink it.  110g Vmax.  No exit but under hide on opposite side.  Great expansion.  

0B15AC7A-1987-4647-B873-87BA7C2EDFA7.jpeg

9EDD37FF-9721-4761-B88E-FC0EAB23DB2C.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bolt action said:

Interesting that there was hemorrhaging into the neck. What was the shot angle?

He was in a tree stand and from what I know, it was a shoulder shot mostly broadside.   Thinking hydrostatic shock.  His dad told me it did serious damage internally.   I guess there is always the question of whether it’s better to have an exit for blood trail or leave all the energy in the deer.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

He was in a tree stand and from what I know, it was a shoulder shot mostly broadside.   Thinking hydrostatic shock.  His dad told me it did serious damage internally.   I guess there is always the question of whether it’s better to have an exit for blood trail or leave all the energy in the deer.  

So that bullet went through the shoulder? First if It did,  it held together very well. Second if it did , the shattered flying bone would do a lot off damage. 

Edited by rob-c

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

So that bullet went through the shoulder? First if It  did it held together very well. Second if it did the shattered flying bone would do a lot off damage. 

Yes, that’s what I was told.  Like Nontypical, my 6.8 deer round is the 120 sst not the vmax but that seemed to do better than expected. I still haven’t killed a deer with it.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

50yd shot on buck. Down in 20yds.  Took top of heart out and lungs but butchering showed hemorrhaging up neck.   Not the bullet I would have chose, but maybe I should rethink it.  110g Vmax.  No exit but under hide on opposite side.  Great expansion.  

0B15AC7A-1987-4647-B873-87BA7C2EDFA7.jpeg

9EDD37FF-9721-4761-B88E-FC0EAB23DB2C.jpeg

What does it weigh Mr.B??

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

What does it weigh Mr.B??

He said 4grams which is 62g of 110.  That said, it’s got a polymer tip and is expected to fragment.   Honestly I don’t know what it means other than it’s not constructed like a dangerous game bullet.  The SST should have much better weight retention.  

• Like 1

The "V" in V -Max stands for varmint....Many deer have been killed with varmint type bullets and good shot placement, but IMHO there are better choices  ...

Like Larry, I belong to the " 2 holes are better than one"  school, rather than the " dump all the energy in the animal" school...

Energy doesn't kill big game animals,  tissue damage and hemmorrage does, and if you do happen to end up with a tracking job, the exit hole helps a lot..

Now, I remember a girl many years back who had a reputation as a " 3 holer", but that is an entirely different subject <<BIG smile>>....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

The "V" in V -Max stands for varmint....Many deer have been killed with varmint type bullets and good shot placement, but IMHO there are better choices  ...

Like Larry, I belong to the " 2 holes are better than one"  school, rather than the " dump all the energy in the animal" school...

Energy doesn't kill big game animals,  tissue damage and hemmorrage does, and if you do happen to end up with a tracking job, the exit hole helps a lot..

Now, I remember a girl many years back who had a reputation as a " 3 holer", but that is an entirely different subject <<BIG smile>>....

Agreed Dan.  That’s why mine is sighted with the SSTs.  But they were happy with the vmax performance on this buck. 

Now, I remember a girl many years back who had a reputation as a " 3 holer", but that is an entirely different subject >....
They say energy doesn't kill but I've seen quite a few dropped by cars! Energy absolutely kills them, now what is most important is up for speculation.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

They say energy doesn't kill but I've seen quite a few dropped by cars! Energy absolutely kills them, now what is most important is up for speculation.

I will grant you that ENOUGH energy will kill them, but  it is silly to compare the energy imparted by a 110 grain bullet moving at 2600 FPS to a 3000 pound vehicle moving at 50 MPH...

That is like comparing  an infantry rifle round to a 16"  naval artillery round..

People talk about " knocking down" a deer with a shotgun slug or a rile round...Bullshit  !! When you shoot a deer and it falls down immediately, it is because the projectile struck OR CAME VERY CLOSE TO  the CNS or major supporting skeletal structure..

I will grant you that ENOUGH energy will kill them, but  it is silly to compare the energy imparted by a 110 grain bullet moving at 2600 FPS to a 3000 pound vehicle moving at 50 MPH...
That is like comparing  an infantry rifle round to a 16"  naval artillery round..
People talk about " knocking down" a deer with a shotgun slug or a rile round...Bullshit  !! When you shoot a deer and it falls down immediately, it is because the projectile struck OR CAME VERY CLOSE TO  the CNS or major supporting skeletal structure..
I agree that bullets don't knock animals off of their feet. But it is energy after all that puts that bullet/arrow through the deer. It's been proven that high velocity deer rounds put deer down quicker when all things are equal. Now you could argue that it's tissue damage, but after all what caused the tissue damage? The projectile and energy. People die every day from blunt force trauma much lower than energy depicted in say a car accident (baseball bats, golf clubs, hammers). So to say energy does not kill, In my opinion is not true at all.
This isn't the thread to start a discussion on this I suppose, but it's an interesting topic nonetheless.

From my perspective the performance of the pictured bullet was perfect and exactly what I look for, all malarkey aside a properly placed bullet that performs like the one above when placed where it is supposed to go will result in a quick kill, there will be little to no tracking.

Al

• 8 months later...

Those VMAX are pretty devastating, especially on the smaller critters.
Since there’s a few 6.8 owners in this thread, I thought I’d share some of the latest and best ammo to hit the market for us. Until now Cavity Back monolithic solid copper projectiles were only able to be used by reloaders. But just very recently they have started selling ammunition loaded by Druid Hill Armory with their 105g MKZ and 120g MKZ projectiles. These are in my mind the best bullets on the market and shoot sub MOA out of both of my 6.8’s. 9D92E41D-A42A-42F7-9A34-3DB2986EAB2E.thumb.jpeg.4659e0c9407eeb17fec9199fcab85936.jpeg

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

Since we ar eon the topic of vmax, My 95gr vmax out of a 6.5creedmoor flat out grenaded on my buck. went in tight to the shoulder and took out everything within 12-18" in all directions. the neck had shrapenal, the front leg had shrapenal down under the hide, the intestines were hit as well as lungs and heart destroyed. but I didnt see much more than 6-8" penetration. Only reason i used it was for the fact it was the only gun i knew I had ready and dialed and i knew i could place the crosshairs and send it dead nuts  

• Like 1