Health issue on senior hunters

sweet old bill

I sure was feeling great as 3 weeks ago I walked into the doctor office for my yearly visit.

We had been on a lower food diet and had lost about 12 lbs from the prior year. I was feeling the best ever.

The doctor checked me over and one of the things that came out was I was near high average for sugar, so I had better watch my eating etc. Next lets make sure you go in for this test of your Lower end / kidney. Spent a full 1/2 day, drinking a qt of crap, then had images made and also a line into the arm as they did the MRI.

Results I have a small kidney stone, that may pass, as I have no pain.

3 days later I spent another 1/2 day have a scan of my neck for the main artery to see if any problem since my operation 3 years ago. ( yearly now test requirement ) well after waiting about 2 weeks for the results they called yesterday, l am setup with another doctor to see when he can now operation on both the left and right artery.

ALso drop two meds and now add two new meds.

So I am in limbo and will not know when I will be operated on till I see the new doctor on Aug 23 I think is the date.

so getting old is just so much fun. I can hope that they will operate early in September and I will be able  (god willing) fit to make the bow season.

SOB,Did the doctor tell you to drink plenty of water to help try to pass the stone,I had 3 trips to the hosp.

the first one the bombarded,the second one the kept making me drink a fluid and passed gravel,The third one I was in the OR and they plucked it out the size of a pinkey finger nail.Proberly the worst pain you will ever have.When you have one moving.   

I had a Kidney stone removed surgically back in the 70's . A pain in the pit of my stomach and right testicle would come unexpectedly and I would almost fold up before the surgery . After the surgery I was okay until the visiting nurse explained to me how they cut through the various layers to remove the stone .  It was painful for quite a while but I have a high pain threshold . Just a few years later they started busting them up with ultra sound .

The stone was a small oval shaped thing with tiny burrs .

Oh yeah , good luck with your surgery SOB .......alt=cheers matehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/beer.gif[/img]

Good luck Bill!

My wife passed a stone that was 9mm long and 4mm across, she was pregnant at the time so when we went it to get her checked out she was the star of the maternity ward. And to think I yelled at her and told her to go back to sleep and leave me alone. ;D  Get your self fixed up and then go out and shoot a slammer this year!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no stranger to kidney stones.  Have had two.  My father has averaged one every couple of years since he was in his 30's.  The secret to the stones is drinking A LOT of water.  You need to keep flushing the kidneys of all the junk that creates the stones.  I've also been told that lemonade is pretty good for it since the acidity helps break down the calcium that forms stones.  Another trick I was told was that when an attack hits, drink beer.  This is because beer makes you pee and at the same time, helps anesthetize the pain.

As for the crap you drank:  I've had to drink it as well.  Tastes like really horrible lemonade mixed with chalk or something.  They told me to be sure to just sip it otherwise I would puke it up. I drank it slowly and kept it down.  I thought I was macho enough to handle it and refused to puke.  That is until the minute the CT scan was over.  The second I walked out the CT scan room, I ran straight to the toilet and purged all that nasty drink!

Everthing is looking up and I do have a smile on my face. I sure am glad that will not have to have any operation this year. I sure love the smell of fall with a bowin my hand. I no longer seem to be the hunter I was in my 20,30,40's year old time frame. I let both doe's and small buck walk. But those times in the woods seem to be special.