Getting in shape, whos doing it?

Geno C

Thing about lifting is after a month or so regularly you rarely get sore... And assuming the shape he is in based on his posts its prob no issue.

It also depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Most guys get sucked into the lifting heavy weights fad but if you're looking to get toned, ripped, and fit, it's more about light weights, high repetition with proper form. The trainer I use to see was a backup middle linebacker for Miami Univerity. It cracks me up when you see these big chubby guys struggling while trying to lift hundreds of pounds at the gym and he comes, 240 lbs of pure muscle and he's sitting there curling 20 lbs weights. One of the best things he told me is that "you're going to the gym to do put in work not to compete against other people there. To worry about what other people are doing. Everyone's body is different and everyone has a different agenda."

It also depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Most guys get sucked into the lifting heavy weights fad but if you're looking to get toned, ripped, and fit, it's more about light weights, high repetition with proper form. The trainer I use to see was a backup middle linebacker for Miami Univerity. It cracks me up when you see these big chubby guys struggling while trying to lift hundreds of pounds at the gym and he comes, 240 lbs of pure muscle and he's sitting there curling 20 lbs weights. One of the best things he told me is that "you're going to the gym to do put in work not to compete against other people there. To worry about what other people are doing. Everyone's body is different and everyone has a different agenda."

So true. But I'm the chubby guy struggling with 20lbs curls (kidding)... I love the ones that sounds like they crap their pants with every curl. AHHHhHHhhhHHH One, AHHHHHAHAHAHHHHH Two.... Really? STFU and lift please. And they get mad at me for mocking them for some reason.

Very true... not to mention everyones goal is different... if you're looking to bulk up.. I mean serious bulking.. then heavy weight is the way... just getting in shape doesn't require that... in fact you don't need weights at all to get stronger and tone up... body resistance is just as affective... losing fat and toning muscle will give you that ripped look... just practicing your martial arts, along with some simple resistance training using your own body weight is a great work out... and it never hurts to toss in some extra cardio for endurance... take a look at the body of a gymnast sometime... gymnasts do not lift anything but their own body weight... a simple rutine of push-ups, pull-ups, dips, leg lifts, crunches and about 30 mins of cardio with the right diet... will get you looking and feeling good in no time. It is normal to experience some muscle soreness in the beginning of any new workout, if you're finding it hard to move the next day.. you're working too hard. Oh yeah, and stretching is very important!!

I was doing that P90X thing you may have seen on TV. I have added the "Insanity" program to it. I do the Insanity in the morning and P90X in the afternoon. It's real easy I don't have to figure anything out I just pop the dvd in and follow along. Keeps me in decent shape.

I would say those two workouts are about the best for getting in shape...

sticking with it and being dedicated to the program is key. its like anything else, you get out what you put in. if your only doing HALF, then expect half the results... but if thats your goal then im sure you wont be disappointed.

I am starting to keep a log at the gym now and i also am doing an hour of cardio in the morn and my workout in the evening, essentially i feel like i live at the gym. BUT i am dedicated to get my results i am after and i am doing everything it takes to do so. I am ALL in so to speak lol

Oh, believe me, I dont expect to get completely ripped in just a few months or anything like that.I am just going for a good, overall workout that will get me on the right track again. With work, kids and everything else at home, I cannot put a ton of time into going to the gym every day, etc etc.

Oh, believe me, I dont expect to get completely ripped in just a few months or anything like that.I am just going for a good, overall workout that will get me on the right track again. With work, kids and everything else at home, I cannot put a ton of time into going to the gym every day, etc etc.

no i hear you.. it was more of a generalization, i wasnt really pin pointing you BUT i know where you are coming from. I am in the same boat minus the child but i spent most of 2011 on the house so for the beginning portion of 2012 is my time unless something needs to be fixed on the house or what now. ive owned the house for 3 years now in march and spent just about everyday working on it lol. i told the wife its my time now, she didnt like it as she says we need to do this we need to do that, AKA i need to do this I need to do that lol. she says "WE" like she has a mouse in her pocket or something...

• Like 1

WNY... diet is a huge part of getting in shape... the old saying you are what you eat is very true. I personally think its the most important part of any workout program... learning how to eat properly really makes you feel great and gives you a lot of energy... and makes the working out part work much faster... I love to eat, but I've learned how to eat properly... eating right helps eliminate the weight fluxuations that most people have and develops a better metabolism... and you don't have to deprive yourself of all the foods that you really enjoy... just learn when and how much of those foods you can eat as part of your regular diet.

• Like 1

I agree with Joe, I believe diet is about 80% of fitness and well being.

The workouts are the easy part, for me at least.

It's eating properly all day, everyday that is the tough part.

You aren't kidding tough... I mean.. who doesn't like a big ol' donut?? right?? The cool thing about getting your diet in order is that an occasional donut doesn't have to turn into a fat ass...lol

BTW.. I can't remember the last time I had a donut!! It's been years.. I'm about due!!

Edited by nyantler

WNY... diet is a huge part of getting in shape... the old saying you are what you eat is very true. I personally think its the most important part of any workout program... learning how to eat properly really makes you feel great and gives you a lot of energy... and makes the working out part work much faster... I love to eat, but I've learned how to eat properly... eating right helps eliminate the weight fluxuations that most people have and develops a better metabolism... and you don't have to deprive yourself of all the foods that you really enjoy... just learn when and how much of those foods you can eat as part of your regular diet.

Yeah, Im not really going for a spread in fitness magazine, just want to get more exercise in and drop some weight. Like I said, i will just be cutting back a bit on the junk. I eat ok now, its just that I dont get the exercise that Id like to working a desk job and sitting around at home. I am not really into many sweets or anything. Doughnuts are not my thing haha. I have no delusions of being ripped and veined like you Joe lol.

Diet is absolutely key Joe, i agree... if you look at most of the posts from the beginning its what i was getting at when RSS was being an idiot lol.

anyone looking to cut back on what they eat, change their regiment up and be a little more active is deff on the right track to making a positive change and WNY im sure you'll reach your goal.

I have been trying to put on some lbs with no sucsess.I went out and got mega weight gainer and soe other stuff still after 3 week's no gain.No matter what i try i cannot gain.My doctor said she has know idea why.I do eat everything except snack's.How do you put on weight?I am 5'7" and 140lbs.My family are all fat what happened to me.

I have been trying to put on some lbs with no sucsess.I went out and got mega weight gainer and soe other stuff still after 3 week's no gain.No matter what i try i cannot gain.My doctor said she has know idea why.I do eat everything except snack's.How do you put on weight?I am 5'7" and 140lbs.My family are all fat what happened to me.

what is your daily caloric intake?

My in take is abuot 7,000 per day.Nomedical reason,s.Heart diabete's cancer are inthe fam however i am healthy no real reason for being under weight.

WHAT?!

7000 cal a day literally?? that would be near impossible to have an intake slightly above half that and not gain anything for a guy your size. You know for a 100% fact that is 7000 cals a day?

i am 5,7 my intake is at 1800, as i am backing down from 2200... over the last month