Looking for house and land ?

luberhill

Ok live in a village now, looking for a house in the country ,,,’

want deer hunting woods/land ..

now if we buy a house with land (30 or 40 acres) I’m sure my weed idea will want to walk our dog in the woods everyday , spooking my deer...

So I’m thinking look for a nice ranch house on an acre or two in a nice area the buy separate hunting land with a cabin or put a camper on it ,,,

I will tell you I’ve done the live in a subdivision, go to the lease every weekend 100 miles away, the live in a subdivision and have my own hunting property, and now the house and the hunting property all in one. I don’t have a dog, but I can tell you I have a happier wife and kids since I’m “home” more now. Keep sanctuary areas on your property and you’ll be happy you can hunt out your back door. It is an amazing thing not having to get in your truck and drive to your hunting spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Living on the hunting land is nice, but so is getting away.  Around 1/2  of my hunts are on our home 34 acres.  The pluses are not needing to drive, being able to get work done on weekday evenings, lunch at the house, butchering facilities, tractor availability, and trespass deterrent. 

Having a free range dog would probably be a minus.  My sister always had one and walked it on a leash regularly in my parent's woods, and that never hurt the hunting over there.  Their place is about 60 acres and is 20 minutes from our place.  About 1/4 of my hunts happen there.  The drive ain't bad and my dad also has tractors and a side by side, which are handy. 

Trespassing was a big problem over there, but has vanished completely since an energetic neighbor moved in 4 years ago and ran off all the tresspassers.

The biggest problems with those two spots is too many people nearby (highway noise, neighbors target practicing, riding dirt bikes, etc), and lack of hills/mountains.

The last 1/4 of my hunts are up at my in-laws retirement home in the Adirondacks.  Those are the best because of the lack of people and the scenery, which I consider to be the best in the world.  There is also a decent deer population in the area.  My father in law has a tractor and atv, and my mother in law is a great cook.

I would spend all of hunting season up there if I had more vacation time and that will be at the top of my picks for where to retire.

• Like 1

I’ve had all those scenarios. With my busy schedule having a back yard to hunt is an absolute must. Our current home (subs) has just over 3 acres and while house hunting this yr having space to hunt at home was a must. The house we move into next month has almost 8 acres (suburbs) in prime deer county.

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Living on the hunting land is nice, but so is getting away.  Around 1/2  of my hunts are on our home 34 acres.  The pluses are not needing to drive, being able to get work done on weekday evenings, lunch at the house, butchering facilities, tractor availability, and trespass deterrent. 

Having a free range dog would probably be a minus.  My sister always had one and walked it on a leash regularly in my parent's woods, and that never hurt the hunting over there.  Their place is about 60 acres and is 20 minutes from our place.  About 1/4 of my hunts happen there.  The drive ain't bad and my dad also has tractors and a side by side, which are handy. 

Trespassing was a big problem over there, but has vanished completely since an energetic neighbor moved in 4 years ago and ran off all the tresspassers.

The biggest problems with those two spots is too many people nearby (highway noise, neighbors target practicing, riding dirt bikes, etc), and lack of hills/mountains.

The last 1/4 of my hunts are up at my in-laws retirement home in the Adirondacks.  Those are the best because of the lack of people and the scenery, which I consider to be the best in the world.  There is also a decent deer population in the area.  My father in law has a tractor and atv, and my mother in law is a great cook.

I would spend all of hunting season up there if I had more vacation time and that will be at the top of my picks for where to retire.

I’d like to buy a camp with land, isn’t the ADX tough to hunt 

After 23 years of living in the village and hating it, we had plans to move out when the kids got out of school and move out of town. We made a checklist of things that were important to us to find in our “ideal” house and we agreed not to settle. Sold our house, found the perfect house, perfect location, privacy, 4 acres of woods, etc... As icing on the cake, I contacted the owner of the 66 acre property that borders mine and lives out of state, and got sole permission to hunt the property! I killed my biggest buck to date 2 weeks ago there! We close on the house in 1-2 weeks! I’ve never had the luxury of walking out my back door to hunt before, so I can’t wait!!

I HATED living in the village! No privacy, can’t shoot the bow in the village, just limited on what you can do, always feel like I have eyes on me by nosy neighbors, etc...

Life’s too short! Live where ever makes you happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2