Looking for a Chevy.

Common S-10 problems.

CV-joints/boots, window and power lock switches are horrible, ball joints, U - joints, transmisions, valve stem seals. O and the 4 wheel drive vacume switch on the transfer case sticks. I figure if I do not have to fix the vehecle, once the rust comes through I will sell it. Undercoating works wonders and clean out your fender wells during hard snow years to remove the salt!!!

I agree with either an S10 or a Dodge Dakota for those purposes Robinson. We have an 03 Durango, and other than a sticky e-brake that had to get fixed and the upper ball joints, the truck has been great. It has the small (4.7) V8 and we tow a 24 foot camper with ease. Gas mileage is in the high teens, which isn't bad. The Dakotas get a bit better mileage because they aren't quite as heavy. I had an 85 s10, and NFA has something there with the transmission. 700 r4s are junk unless you don't do much with it (hauling weight) or you run a good size trans cooler (not that expensive). Otherwise they are decent trucks. My dad has an 01 2wd that's been flawless for him.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2000 s10 4wd extended cab. I love it. Has 113 thou on it and still running strong. My next one will be a colorado. I had one silverado never again. Gas hog for sure. When I got this s10, I got rid of an 1983 s10. If the frame had not rotted, I would still be driving it.

Edited by bubba

I have a 2000 s10 4wd extended cab. I love it. Has 113 thou on it and still running strong. My next one will be a colorado. I had one silverado never again. Gas hog for sure. When I got this s10, I got rid of an 1983 s10. If the frame had not rotted, I would still be driving it.

I have a 1997 jimmy same as the S10 it has 260 thou and is a great truck/suv.I loved the 80tys models just something about the square nose.They are realy good truck's we have 7 of them in the family.The colorado is also a sweet looking truck.

They had a recall on Tacoma frames! Not sure which years but my buddy had on and they had an entire brand new frame put in. Cost about one and a half times what the truck was worth to do it. Second I had an s10, truck ran awesome till about 95000 miles then it wouldn't go two months with out a problem. A lot of which were major. Plus it's a girls truck anyways lol. Being 16 I'd go out and get yourself a decent older truck. Something you can work on yourself. Jack it up and put some big ole swampers on it and a decent paint job. It'll look cooler then any newer truck you could afford. Just my two cents. No matter what ya get it's going to break. Especially if your like me when I was a teen, or hell even now.

I had 2 silverados.. They were okay but I got sick of replacing the brake sensors and window actuators every other DAY!!! Bought a Titan in 08 zero problems.

Had a problem with the anti lock breaking system on my 2005 Silverado, had only 30,000 miles on it. Had the left front sensor replaced cost $900 bucks one month later the right side went . Couldn't see spending another $900 bucks. So I just pulled the fuse been riding fine for the last 2 years. Edited by Dave

The guy I work part time for is on his 2nd or 3rd Tacoma . He puts well over 200,000 miles on them before upgrading . He has done minimal repairs on them . He install Real Estate signs and drives at close to1000 miles a week .

He bought his son's Sonoma . Drove it for a few weeks and got rid of it when he bought another Tacoma .

• 1 month later...

Cant go wrong with a Cherokee, just make sure you get the 4.0 I6 and not the 4cyl model. We had one right before the Durango we have now and it was great right up until my fiance flipped it into a swamp. If you do look at them, be sure to check the floor boards, as they have a tendency to rot out because of snow, etc getting trapped in the carpet and rusting them from the inside out. Also, make sure it has the Dana rear end, the other one (based on the old Mopar 7 1/4) has issues with the outer axle bearings giving out. If I think of any other tips for them, Ill let ya know.

• 4 weeks later...