Pope & Young Scoring Is In......

Lawdwaz

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

I got that lip end tape as a constellation prize. It works really well. Bends along with most tines well lip goes on the tip of the tine. Out of your list you posted after blue painters tape and a pencil works well to if you want to get serious about measuring points off the beams or tines. single tape is close enough to be practical though unless you're into being Mr official.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The lip ends are used to take the 8 mass measurements. You also use a folding carpenter's lufkin ruler to take the spread measurements. 

• Like 1

The lip ends are used to take the 8 mass measurements. You also use a folding carpenter's lufkin ruler to take the spread measurements. 
All I got so that's what I use. ruler being ridged makes sense and easier to work with I'd think. Hardest part I think is when you get abnormal points and how to score them. My buddies buck we were unsure which said of the split was the g2 length and which was abnormal. Measured one way it would've meant it was 17" and change. Seemed to follow the grain of the tine though. Dont know how it was officially measured.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

No, the ring end tape is for measuring the circumference (mass).  " P&Y Official Measuring Tape-Ring End. A specialty tape with an inset "zero mark" making it especially handy for taking circumference measurements."

The "lip end" description from P&Y...."P&Y Official Measuring Tape - Lip End:  A specialty 1/4 inch steel tape used for taking length measurements six feet in length. 

The folding ruler is for measuring inside spread only.......most (all?) have a sliding measure at the start of the ruler to get accurate inside measurements.

A cable with a solid end, an alligator clip, pencil and blue tape do round out the kit of the serious shade tree measurer.  Oh and couple beers too.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

No, the ring end tape is for measuring the circumference (mass).  " P&Y Official Measuring Tape-Ring End. A specialty tape with an inset "zero mark" making it especially handy for taking circumference measurements."

The "lip end" description from P&Y...."P&Y Official Measuring Tape - Lip End:  A specialty 1/4 inch steel tape used for taking length measurements six feet in length. 

The folding ruler is for measuring inside spread only.......most (all?) have a sliding measure at the start of the ruler to get accurate inside measurements.

A cable with a solid end, an alligator clip, pencil and blue tape do round out the kit of the serious shade tree measurer.  Oh and couple beers too.

You are exactly correct. I misread the name of the tape...the ring end is for measuring the mass NOT the lip end. 

I'm a certified scorer for the NYS BBC. Here's what is in our scoring "kit"...

20210205_070143.thumb.jpg.43a674eeb1378278d17f8588c39c7b36.jpg

You are also correct that the lufkin ruler needs the sliding brass insert. Although you only use the inside spread in the actual score, the tip to tip and greatest spread are also recorded on the score sheet. Actually, I'm in need of a new one because a buddy of mine who is the local P&Y scorer broke my a couple of weekends ago when he was over scoring a couple of deer that I'm mounting. My ring end is getting pretty beat too. I ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE A BEER HANDY WHEN SCORING A DEER FROM HOME TOO! 

1 hour ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

You are exactly correct. I misread the name of the tape...the ring end is for measuring the mass NOT the lip end. 

I'm a certified scorer for the NYS BBC. Here's what is in our scoring "kit"...

20210205_070143.thumb.jpg.43a674eeb1378278d17f8588c39c7b36.jpg

You are also correct that the lufkin ruler needs the sliding brass insert. Although you only use the inside spread in the actual score, the tip to tip and greatest spread are also recorded on the score sheet. Actually, I'm in need of a new one because a buddy of mine who is the local P&Y scorer broke my a couple of weekends ago when he was over scoring a couple of deer that I'm mounting. My ring end is getting pretty beat too. I ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE A BEER HANDY WHEN SCORING A DEER FROM HOME TOO! 

Tonight I’ll check, I think I have a folder I can spare. 

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Tonight I’ll check, I think I have a folder I can spare. 

I knew I had at least two of the folding rules but only one has the sliding brass thingy......if I find another I’ll send it along. 

For others that may have never seen one, here’s one with the sliding brass and one without:

ACCAEEFC-ED30-47D7-B118-F0DDF7EADDB3.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...