Putting up fur!

The_Real_TCIII

I was unable to find a trapping course for the umpteenth year in a row but my buddy has his so we set three traps close to home here. We got a big old raccoon  and @dinorocks taught me how to skin and flesh it. You wont find a more knowledgeable guy than Dino and more importantly a guy with his willingness to teach and share. We also fleshed a deer hide and even found the bullet inside. Hes going to start an egg tan on itimage.png.3312a6b0cf206e367fc5d62b810cf31b.pngimage.png.f3af0ce41642b5eab5b380202a06a6bd.pngimage.png.0b83f6a443ffb1c85e78ff0f02a0af4b.png

• Like 17

I was lucky.my. uncle was a taxidermist and a trapper, got 3 white raccoon years ago and instead of case skinning them.he sid i should prep them for mounting.  We did all 3 that way and i got 10x what they were selling for at the time because the buyer was going to mount them. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

Watching someone skin critters is pretty cool. I remember being in British Columbia and each night the guide's 3 young kids (5-10 years old) would skin trapped muskrats for $2/each. It's amazing how fast they worked and never cut themselves. Usually have way through they put the muskrat fur on hand like a puppet and goof off. It was pretty funny.

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

There's a guy on youtube with some very lengthy videos i watched and decided the heck with this, man is it a lot of work and seems like quite a mess. 

Coons are a pain . Now late ‘70s / 80s or so you got good money for them , I’d pick up road kill , as my friends trapped and would help me and sell them to the buyer who’d come to their house . My one buddy made enough off rats and some mink , over Christmas break to pay for the next semester at college .

1970s.""Prices were insanely good back then," he said. "Raccoon hides were going for $40 apiece. You couldn't find a dead coon on the road, because people were collecting them and skinning the pelts. That's money, and people aren't going to let that lay."In March, raccoon pelts went for $15 - not nearly as much as in the 1970s, but more than in recent months.

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Coons are a pain . Now late ‘70s / 80s or so you got good money for them , I’d pick up road kill , as my friends trapped and would help me and sell them to the buyer who’d come to their house . My one buddy made enough off rats and some mink , over Christmas break to pay for the next semester at college .

I was just wanting to be able to do a yote or fox so I felt like I didn't just "kill for nothing" ya know? Thought a cool hangers would be nice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you get one I'll show you how to skin and flesh it. 

I appreciate the offer. If I get a nice fox or yote I'm going to mount it. But going forward if I get hooked, that's the question.

16 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The raccoon was a "by catch" but I didn't want to throw it in a ditch. To your point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Totally get it. It's the hold up for me that prevents me from going all in on predator hunting or trying trapping.

31 minutes ago, Belo said:

I appreciate the offer. If I get a nice fox or yote I'm going to mount it. But going forward if I get hooked, that's the question.

Totally get it. It's the hold up for me that prevents me from going all in on predator hunting or trying trapping.

I've had beaver and racoon as food. Both were surprisingly very good. I've also had opossum and it was ok. Many people on the trapping community rave about how good Bobcat is. 

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hope youre happy, Biz will be in here in ten seconds

Sorry for the 11minute delay, but here I am! I've tried the backstraps of all 3 NA Cats (Bobcat, Cougar, Lynx). Suppoedly Lynx is the best, but they all seemed to taste the same to me- Like a tough pork. The rest of mountain lion carcass was given to local farmhands since they love it. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the 11minute delay, but here I am! I've tried the backstraps of all 3 NA Cats (Bobcat, Cougar, Lynx). Suppoedly Lynx is the best, but they all seemed to taste the same to me- Like a tough pork. The rest of mountain lion carcass was given to local farmhands since they love it. 

Did you try the balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Did you try the balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Only nuts I have tried is rocky mountain oysters. 2 varieties I've tried actually- sheep nuts in Colorado and Cattle nuts in Canada. From what i remember it tasted like those popcorn chicken things.