Dove Hunting in NY

Sure would be nice if it was legal.  I've hunted them in Pennsylvania before and had a blast.  No reason not to hunt them here and the DEC is not against it.  I read that they would have no problem with it but few people have shown an interest in it here.

Lots of fun to hunt and better eating than those damned geese! 

Who do I talk to about it?

When I was young I remember when Ohio tried to introduce dove hunting via the DNR and they lost the fight due to animal right groups.  A year later the sportsmen groups in Ohio put it on the ballot and won... Knowing how tough animal right groups are here in NYS it will be a bigger fight to get it here.

I would like to have dove hunting here in NYS it is a great way to introduce young hunters into hunting. 

I agree they are great tasting and a challenge to shoot...

Sure would be nice if it was legal.  I've hunted them in Pennsylvania before and had a blast.  No reason not to hunt them here and the DEC is not against it.  I read that they would have no problem with it but few people have shown an interest in it here.

Lots of fun to hunt and better eating than those damned geese! 

Who do I talk to about it?

An interesting link on the NYDEC website. Apparently, a survey poll was solicited in 2009 and this was the response:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/59626.html

It seems that only big game rules these days for many.

Doves are a challenging game. I used to hunt the MD opener in my youthful days. My uncle had access to a lot of neighboring farmland back when it was still pretty rural down there. He still has sunflower planted on his farm in one section to attract the doves each year.

AND, they are great tasting tablefare.

An excert from the link:

"In response to the NYSCC request, we included the following question in our 2009 small game hunter survey: "Would you support a law change to designate mourning doves as a game bird in New York State?" Potential responses were: "Strongly Oppose", "Oppose", "Don't Care", "Support", and "Strongly Support". Surveys were mailed to approximately 5,000 randomly selected small game hunting license holders, and responses were received from about 2,400 people. About 23% indicated that they would support such a law change (see chart below). Most respondents (64%) said they "don't care" or did not answer the question at all. Approximately 12% indicated that they were opposed to a law change to designate mourning doves as a game bird in New York."

They need to stop doing these mail out survey's very few people return them.  I'm willing to bet that a good majority of the " I don't care" were simply not returned. Granted if they didn't return it then in a sense i guess they don't care do they lol.  If there were some kind of survey system online or through decals when we bought our license I think the numbers would be a lot different.  While it might not be as big as deer hunting people if given the oppurtunity I think sportsmen would take advantage of another reason to get outdoors. 

CNY

Maybe instead of giving all the choices, they simplify the choice down to Yes or No, plus, make the poll online, make people enter their tag number as they vote so they can only do it once. This is yet another reason why short surveys should be required to get your license each year.

Couldn't agree more how hard is it to answer a few simple questions along with the others that you already have to answer on what your buying and which dmu your getting your dmp's in etc.

Half of the surveys were never returned.  Of the returned surveys 64% said either they "don't care" or failed to answer the question at all.  That's the majority of survey responders.  What is wrong with these people?  What are they thinking? 

Here's a chance to open up an exciting upland bird hunting season in early September and they say they don't care or don't respond at all??

DUMMIES!!

>:D

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad, but there is simply no dove hunting tradition in NY...

Most hunters have never hunted them and really DON'T care...

It makes it REAL easy for the anti's to fight it...

The guys down south appreciate it.. We raise the doves up here and then they SHOOT them when they migrate south.. ;D ...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Let's keep this issue as active as possible and see if we can find someone to take the lead.  I'll be the first to admit I'm a follower, not a leader :D

I don't think it would take much to get this passed.  Anything that would POSSIBLY add to license revenue should interest the state in this time of need.

I guess they must be primarily a farmland bird eh? We have a lot of what used to be farmland about 40 or 50 years ago, but most of it you have to use a bit of imagination or a real good memory to know that it was ever farmed ..... lol. I get the impression that that is probably not the best habitat for doves.

Doc