Car insurance for a new driver

Enigma

I need to put a vehicle on the road soon for my 16yo son. A new driver. Who's got info they can share on insurance requirements? I'm getting conflicting info on what we need to be legal. 

Car will most likely be titled in my name and added to my current policy. Driven primarily by him for the typical school, work, athletics and schmoozing.

Any help w legal requirements, past experiences and costs is much appreciated. 

shouldnt be any other specific requirements for a 16 yo.  Other than expense.  If you have a licensed driver at your residence your insurance will reflect this anyway.  Just add them to your insurance policy would be the way to go.  Just be ready for a 100% + increase ,  since you now have someone under 25 driving vehicles.  A seperate insurance policy would be pretty expensive for a 16 yo esp listing him as the only driver.   Plus they are going to assume since he lives with you that he is also driving the other vehicles. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

shouldnt be any other specific requirements for a 16 yo.  Other than expense.  If you have a licensed driver at your residence your insurance will reflect this anyway.  Just add them to your insurance policy would be the way to go.  Just be ready for a 100% + increase ,  since you now have someone under 25 driving vehicles.  A seperate insurance policy would be pretty expensive for a 16 yo esp listing him as the only driver.   Plus they are going to assume since he lives with you that he is also driving the other vehicles. 

Rob is spot on with this. It was exactly my experience about 20 yrs ago. Then my oldest daughter had her second accident in six months of driving. She was on her own after that.

• Like 2

The advice my wife and I received when my stepdaughter got her license from a buddy that owns a insurance agency, and a lawyer client, DO NOT  add her onto our insurance policy. Have her get her own policy, and enroll her into any state driving class 

If she ever got into a major accident where someone got serious hurt or worse, her mother and I would be one of the first listed in a lawsuit. With her own policy, we are somewhat protected.  While she was living at home, we would most likely still get sued, but with drivers ED, and other state courses, our position would have been we gave her every opportunity to learn.  Also, If she got a ticket, it wouldn't effect our insurance either. 

We understood she couldn't afford her own policy, so we helped out as long as she worked some to contribute 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I got a million dollar umbrella policy when my kids started driving . Mowin brings up a valid point ,on a related note our attorney told us not to co sign their leases at college . We’d be the deep pockets if some kid got hurt at the apartment or drunk and hurt someone else .

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mowin said:

The advice my wife and I received when my stepdaughter got her license from a buddy that owns a insurance agency, and a lawyer client,

Best advice you can get. When my girls started driving (twins) I bought a car for them, put it their names, and paid for their first year's insurance along with all DMV fees, and repairs.

Most young drivers are apt to have an accident, get a ticket or two of some type. If they do, and are on your policy, your rates will skyrocket as long as they are on the policy.

Your total cost of insurance may go up but but your savings in the long run will be worth it if something does happen. That way their driving record will stay with them and not you.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

Appreciate all the info. Ty.

I'm now leaning towards both the car and insurance all in his name alone. The separation of liability is not something I'd considered before but makes sense. I realize the cost to him (me lol) will be more than just adding him to my policy, but I also like the idea of him stepping up and starting to have things in his own name. Welcome to adulthood right?!

So my follow up question would be, even though he's a minor (16), he can legal purchase his "own" insurance? No requirement to be 18? 

Ty.

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Appreciate all the info. Ty.

I'm now leaning towards both the car and insurance all in his name alone. The separation of liability is not something I'd considered before but makes sense. I realize the cost to him (me lol) will be more than just adding him to my policy, but I also like the idea of him stepping up and starting to have things in his own name. Welcome to adulthood right?!

So my follow up question would be, even though he's a minor (16), he can legal purchase his "own" insurance? No requirement to be 18? 

Ty.

Google says..

In general, one must be an adult (18 or older) to obtain an insurance policy on their own. If you are under 18, and thus still considered a minor, then normally state laws and insurance companies guidelines will require you to have a parent or guardian sign on legal documents, such as an insurance policy, with you.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

So my follow up question would be, even though he's a minor (16), he can legal purchase his "own" insurance? No requirement to be 18

Because he is a minor he can't purchase his own insurance but you can purchase it in his name, which means you both will have to be there when the insurance is purchased.

Put your arm around him, get out your checkbook, and tell him "son you are your way to an adult"

• Like 1

Following this, my daughter is 16 and has had her permit for a little over a month. Man, she makes my palms sweat driving with her....lol She keeps asking when we can get her a car. I plan on making her first car purchase. I keep saying when you have a drivers license and a job we can start looking. Trying to kick the can down the road as far as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

Following this, my daughter is 16 and has had her permit for a little over a month. Man, she makes my palms sweat driving with her....lol She keeps asking when we can get her a car. I plan on making her first car purchase. I keep saying when you have a drivers license and a job we can start looking. Trying to kick the can down the road as far as possible. 

Teaching your child to drive is a treat isn't it lol? I know its a parental responsibility but dang is it stressful. I actually don't mind riding around with my youngest son. He's a decent driver for his age and experience. Its when he jumps in a carful of teens with some other 16yo driving him around. That's what kills me.

Getting my oldest son on the road was a crap show and of course I was the one who ended up getting screwed. I took him step by step through it all, getting the permits, putting in the 50 hrs of road time and all the classes and driver's ed. I was told he didn't have to be a named insured on a policy until he actually had his license. So I buy him a car, titled under my name and add the car and him to my policy the day after his road test. Our deal was he'd make payments to me for the cost of the car and a portion of the insurance etc.

Lo and behold 2 days later he tells me "Mom bought me a car" (my ex wife) Well crap! I understood where he was coming from (her car was nicer than the one I'd purchased for him) but I was still quite PO'd. He didn't realize the deal he'd made with Satan until a week later. She very quickly started using "her" car as leverage over him and he soon became Uber for my second son. He learned some valuable lesson that summer lol.

Anyway, I sold the car I'd purchased for him and call up my insurance company to drop him from my policy. They absolutely refused to accept that he was not driving one of "my" vehicles. They wanted proof that he was a named insured on another policy before they'd take him off mine. I understood their point, but I wasn't trying to cheat anyone. When I told them they were free to call my ex wife and request a copy of her insurance they said it was not their responsibility to provide that info, but mine. Needless to say It took 6 freaking months and threats towards them to finally get him removed from my policy! Nothing but a hassle and waste of time and money! Just trying to get it right this time with son #2 . . . 

• Like 2

True story - and my daughter will probably kill me if she saw I posted this.

When oldest daughter was learning how to drive, I had an extra car - Nissan mini truck (forgot the model) that I was driving to keep miles off the full size Bronco I had at the time. Nissan was a 5-speed. After much cajoling I convinced her to try and let me teach her to drive a standard.

We started off in a church parking lot and after the expected newbie jitters, she was getting the hang of getting started in first gear and shifting up. I thought she was doing OK, but she was hating every minute of it and not hiding the fact. I convinced her to take it on the road. She was nervous as hell, but I kept telling her that she was doing great - she really was doing pretty well for the first day of trying it.

The first intersection she came to, she started well but stalled it in the middle of the intersection. It was a quiet suburb of Rochester, but it was a busy time of day - horns honking, and somebody was yelling to get out of the way. She started bawling and GOT OUT OF THE CAR AND STARTING JOGGING HOME!

Somehow after that, when she got her license, she was driving my Bronco (with an automatic) and I got stuck with the rustbox Nissan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driving with my oldest one day I tell him "We're not going to turn at this intersection. Just go straight through . . ." Well he did exactly that. Blew right through the red light and we kept on going. After cheating death that day I'm much more careful about what I say to new drivers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Driving with my oldest one day I tell him "We're not going to turn at this intersection. Just go straight through . . ." Well he did exactly that. Blew right through the red light and we kept on going. After cheating death that day I'm much more careful about what I say to new drivers.

The one time they follow instructions......lol

A few days ago we were leaving my house and my daughter is driving my truck which she says is way harder too drive than mom car. We are going up a hill in the neighborhood and there is a stop sign at the top of the hill. As we are coming up to the stop sign she practically floors it and we zoom out into the middle of the intersection where she slams on the brakes. I am of course screaming at the top of my lungs (very helpful i know). She says she confused the gas and the brake. I'm like WTF. I tell her that can't happen. I don't know what you have to do to make sure that never happens again but it can't happen. What if this was a busy intersection etc etc etc. as I am screaming. We get going down the road and i tell her i am sorry for screaming and that i know it doesn't help but THAT CAN"T HAPPEN EVER AGAIN....lol And that was after driving for a month.....

• Like 1

Had both of my kids on their own policy with their own cars. My ex did not have any assets to speak of so we put them as residents of her household. No problem with the insurance. My main concern was a catastrophic lawsuit if they got into a accident..... which thank heavens they never did. Might want to consider a mechanically sound vehicle, but with a beater body. They may well rearrange the bodywork in the first year of driving.

the

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

A few days ago we were leaving my house and my daughter is driving my truck which she says is way harder too drive than mom car. We are going up a hill in the neighborhood and there is a stop sign at the top of the hill. As we are coming up to the stop sign she practically floors it and we zoom out into the middle of the intersection where she slams on the brakes. I am of course screaming at the top of my lungs (very helpful i know). She says she confused the gas and the brake. I'm like WTF. I tell her that can't happen. I don't know what you have to do to make sure that never happens again but it can't happen. What if this was a busy intersection etc etc etc. as I am screaming. We get going down the road and i tell her i am sorry for screaming and that i know it doesn't help but THAT CAN"T HAPPEN EVER AGAIN....lol And that was after driving for a month.....

I was driving for only a week or so, and dad had me out driving.  As I pulled into the driveway, dad told me to park alongside the garage.  Good dam thing he said that because I hit the gas instead of the brake. Lol. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I think a lot of learning to drive is just mental. The physical aspects of driving aren't difficult but I know for alot of young people its intimidating. Having confidence in one's self at that age can be tough for some young people. 

My oldest was the opposite. He was an expert the first time he got behind the wheel. At least he thought so lol. After the first few times out I realized he didn't have a use for Dad's input so I just shut up and only said anything when we were in danger lol. 

It was recommended to me to enroll him in a driving school. That way he'd have someone else giving him their opinion. That worked very well

Two other things that woke him up. I quit telling him too slow down cause he wasn't listening. Go figure. I told him the next person who would tell him would be an officer or a judge. Not kidding but I think it was the next day he (we) got lit up and pulled over. 42 in a 30 I think it was. I never said a word when he was squirming to that trooper.

We also hit a bigtime DUI checkpoint one night on the highway. There had to be 10 cruisers and 50 officers. They had people pulled out of there cars doing sobriety checks on the shoulder and there were two wreckers there just waiting. They were NOT screwing around. I hope he remembers that for a long time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think a lot of learning to drive is just mental. The physical aspects of driving aren't difficult but I know for alot of young people its intimidating. Having confidence in one's self at that age can be tough for some young people. 

My oldest was the opposite. He was an expert the first time he got behind the wheel. At least he thought so lol. After the first few times out I realized he didn't have a use for Dad's input so I just shut up and only said anything when we were in danger lol. 

It was recommended to me to enroll him in a driving school. That way he'd have someone else giving him their opinion. That worked very well

Two other things that woke him up. I quit telling him too slow down cause he wasn't listening. Go figure. I told him the next person who would tell him would be an officer or a judge. Not kidding but I think it was the next day he (we) got lit up and pulled over. 42 in a 30 I think it was. I never said a word when he was squirming to that trooper.

We also hit a bigtime DUI checkpoint one night on the highway. There had to be 10 cruisers and 50 officers. They had people pulled out of there cars doing sobriety checks on the shoulder and there were two wreckers there just waiting. They were NOT screwing around. I hope he remembers that for a long time.

That's how i was when i started driving. Already thought i knew everything. First thing i did when i got my license was see how fast i could get my moms car to go. How i never got killed or arrested was dumb luck. I still have a need for speed but at 47 have a little better head on my shoulders.....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Farflung said:

Had both of my kids on their own policy with their own cars. My ex did not have any assets to speak of so we put them as residents of her household. No problem with the insurance. My main concern was a catastrophic lawsuit if they got into a accident..... which thank heavens they never did. Might want to consider a mechanically sound vehicle, but with a beater body. They may well rearrange the bodywork in the first year of driving.

Late last year I picked up a nice, get this, 2004 Mercury Gran Marquee. I needed something else at the time and when I saw that car I thought it'd be an awesome car for my son to learn on. V8, rear wheel drive, and big and wide. Takes awhile to get going and a long ways to stop. I figured if he wadded it up at least he'd be safe. It was decent but needed the basic stuff to be better. Very nice car now.

I've almost got him convinced it's cool to ride around in a grampa's car. Slow and steady when we cruise around. I tell him his friend's parents and their Mercedes got nothing for us in terms of style. A work in progress lol. 

• Like 3