Decoy prices..WTH

mowin

Got $150 in cabelas gift cards to use up. And since turkey season is coming fast, I was looking to see if there was something I needed.   Couldn't believe the prices of deeks. Some are $200+. Needless to say I didn't buy any deeks. 

• Like 2

Yeah they are crazy expensive. I got a flextone one for birthday in Jan then got 2 more avian x LCD.   The avian x HDR type are even more expensive they look like taxidermy type decoys and cost about as much haha  
I have some old decoys that I’ve been using for the past 15 yrs so wanted to upgrade.  As you can see these are much greater detail and look real kind of makes me nervous hunting with them but I will be in a blind hopefully safe.  

78AD9104-FDE0-4B42-A57F-B626B9501520.jpeg

37B9E41D-9327-4036-930A-8BE0C25ECA4B.jpeg

• Like 3

I've got the DSD hen and Jake. They're deadly, both on the wallet and also the birds. A far cry from my crappy walmart ones that are basically black body with some crackly peely periwinkle head.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I would bet they were either Avian decoys or Dave Smith Decoys and those that have them swear by them. I know people that have made decoys out of an old bleach bottle, painter it black and put a piece of fabric of the right colors on it and had success. I know of somebody that did the same and added a old fan from a jake.

Decoys really are not necessary though, I only put mine out twice last year, maybe 3 times.

Edited by Sir-diealot

I would bet they were either Avian decoys or Dave Smith Decoys and those that have them swear by them. I know people that have made decoys out of an old bleach bottle, painter it black and put a piece of fabric of the right colors on it and had success. I know of somebody that did the same and added a old fan from a jake.
Decoys really are not necessary though, I only put mine out twice last year, maybe 3 times.
Dave Smith decoys are quite literally the shit! I'll never go without them. I love em so much! But I agree turkey are pretty stupid. So as long as you got the colors fairly correct in the general shape with a fan it's game over

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

12 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Dave Smith decoys are quite literally the shit! I'll never go without them. I love em so much! But I agree turkey are pretty stupid. So as long as you got the colors fairly correct in the general shape with a fan it's game over

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I know many people that think you are not a real turkey hunter if you use decoys, blinds, TSS, Hevi-13 or whatever it is called or anything other than lead. I am not one of them, I would just like to see if I can get back out of the blind and hunt them the way I used to before my last car accident, I really do miss watching everything come to life around you, you lose all that in a blind.

Edited by Sir-diealot
Spelling error
  • Like 1

I know many people that think you are not a real turkey hunter if you use decoys, blinds, TSS, Hevi-13 or whatever it is called or anything other than lead. I am not one of them, I would just like to see if I can get back out of the blind and hunt them the ways I used to before my last car accident, I really do miss watching everything come to life around you, you lose all that in a blind.
I'll gladly take em from a blind. I can use any advantage I can get. I'm growing tired of being outfoxed by a bird with the Brian the size of a peanut

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Just now, The Jerkman said:

I'll gladly take em from a blind. I can use any advantage I can get. I'm growing tired of being outfoxed by a bird with the Brian the size of a peanut

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Trust me, it was much more fun out of a blind, even if I never did get one I liked it outside of a blind much more.

Trust me, it was much more fun out of a blind, even if I never did get one I liked it outside of a blind much more.
Oh I've done 90% outside of a blind. The turkey from may was in a natural blind with about a 1ft tops log wall in front of me. Having those lead hens staring right at me from 5 feet away as the giant flock made their way to my decoys was a rush idk if I'll ever top. I could have grabbed em by the neck. It was intense. Idk how I was able to stay still enough for them to come to the conclusion I was merely a strange pile of leaves but it was amazing!

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

I have a bunch of hand me down plastic full size decoys that I have used for years.  They are bulky to carry, but have worked well.   

Last year I got two new decoys from Montana Decoys.  https://www.montanadecoy.com/

I love how they fold up so compactly, spring out to full size quickly and look very realistic.  If you move around a lot, that style would be a good choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have a couple of cheap decoys made out of light weight foam that I used for years,  I think they cost about $12 each at the time.  They fold in half and tuck into the back of the vest and the 2 piece stakes fit right inside.  I usually just use a hen decoy and while not a perfect replica of a turkey, they are good enough to draw in many jakes and toms.

One tip that may be helpful - put your decoy and warm over clothes inside a black thin plastic trash bag that you can store in the back of your turkey vest when you are moving to your set up location. This will keep things dry and easier to transport. Once you get to your location remove everything from the bag - you can then use the bag to stuff inside your decoy to keep it plumped out and more realistic looking than a caved in piece of plastic.