How long after spraying....

What are you planting? Might be better not to disc if you sprayed. If you need to disc wait till whatever you sprayed is dead then go for it. (For me it takes a week at least)

If your planting rye or wheat I would just broadcast whenever your ready (hopefully right before a rain).

14 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

What are you planting? Might be better not to disc if you sprayed. If you need to disc wait till whatever you sprayed is dead then go for it. (For me it takes a week at least)

If your planting rye or wheat I would just broadcast whenever your ready (hopefully right before a rain).

Doing a mix of clover, rye grains and brassicas. 

5 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

I always defer to Gman but I wouldn't disk, your going to bring up weed seeds (I know from experience). I would spray then broadcast right before a rain. The glysophate only will kill growing plants, won't mess with your seeds.

Interesting. But if I don't kill the plants, won't those introduce seeds?

3 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

Don't plant winter rye and brassica together! Rye will starve the brassica.

Ok.  So what do I plant in the next week that's a perennial mix of red, white clover and some brassicas mix. Some have suggested to add some rye and wheat grain to that mix?  

Good lord I'm so confused...

Back when I did a lot of food plotting I always planted my brassicas by themselves and fall clover with either oats, wheat or rye or a mix of any of the three. Also I planted my brassicas earlier than now to maximize my tonnage per acre. Good luck whatever you decide!

Edited by E J
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

Ok, make's sence. 

However I've got one landowner planting rye cereal. He's doing a fall planting in perpetration for a rye whiskey distillery next year. I do have permission to hunt this property as do 2 others.

There's a property separating this property and the one I want to do a food plot, as me and my nephew's are the only ones hunting this property.

I'm trying to lure the deer from the rye distillery property to the property a 1/3 mile down the road. 

I don't know how much of an area you sprayed but I would plant a variety. But as EJ stated the sooner the better for the brassica and you still have some time for the rye. I planted my brassica around July 20th and my Rye last week. Both are doing great. Have fun with it and don't be afraid to try new things. It's enjoyable watching something you planted come to life and then watching the deer react to it. 

• Like 1

WI oats is has some good drawing property ive planted both rye and the oats labor day and oats was favored alot more,,, i fill in any bare spots in my brassica plantings, planted 8/5, with the oats and will do a very light over seed with the oats in remaining brassica plots, ive never planted both same time normally they go in a month apart,, that way oats/rye dosnt compete with brassicas, 

• Like 1

Small seed like you want to plant doenst need disking ,  Spray gly, and plant before a rain to wash seed down for seed soil contact, if you can wait and then de thatch by dragging off trash would be  best,

I prefer spray wait couple of weeks spray again wait and then burn off trash and then plant.

personally I feel strip planting will let you put everything you want in one plot .  Best of luck!

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

A good way to draw deer away from rye, is planting some wheat, which is significantly higher on the deer preference list.  

In most of NY state, the recommended planting date for wheat is Sept 10 plus or minus 10 days, so we are almost there now. 

For fall wheat plantings, I never spray (I prefer keeping my venison as "organic" as I can).  

I get the ground worked up (if it was sod, I plow and disk, if it was old corn, I Bush-hog in spring, then drag a few times thru the summer.

When its time to plant, I broadcast wheat at a rate of 30 to 50 lbs per acre, then cultipack. Next, I broadcast medium white clover, over the same ground, at 5 pounds per acre, then cultipack again at 90 degrees from the prior direction.

This method buries the wheat deeper in the "fluffy" ground, which it prefers, and the clover shallower in the once compacted ground.  A cultipacker is an often ignored, but critical piece of plotting equipment which saves you lots of money over the years on seed, and eliminates the dependence on a timely rain.

No weed seeds are going to outcompete wheat and clover when planted at that time with that method, which makes the herbicide completely unnecessary.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I’ll tell ive been a proponent of seeding, spraying and fert/lime, all in one day. It’s turned out well.

The thought process is that gly will not impact the seed germination. However, I recently walked through an informal personal study that a plotter did with spraying Gly on seeds in a small test area then getting seeds to germinate and the germ rate was much less with gly vs the non gly. It’s challenging a lot of conventional wisdom in the plotting community right now. Evidence seemed pretty clear.

My plots have turned out ok doing that in most instances with only a few failures but it may be impacting somewhat in germ rate or even in those failure instances.

i saw a guy on you tube spray seed with gly and it effected germination but he soaked the seed with it way more then any normal seed would get in normal spraying he actually got it damp enough to cause germination, imo normal gyl spraying does not effect seed enough to say so

IF your set on disking after spraying, just give it a day or two then disk. 

But you can spread seed, roll down standing vegetation with packer or roller then spray gly all the sameday with great results. Just don't go super heavy on application of spray. a fine mist is all that's needed. 

Seeds "soaked" in roundup will kill the seed/germination. The dose of gly/water mixture is enough to start germination and also kill the plant at the same time. So cover your seed with the existing vegetation(by rolling it over) then spray. Or if you have time, spray one weekend, seed and pack the next if your nervous. 

I seed, roll, spray all the same day with all my plantings.. beans, clovers, brassicas grains etc.. works great. Just need some soil moisture and rain following your planting date. 

• Like 2