Ridiculous Vehicle trade in prices

chrisw

So I've been toying with getting a new truck for a few months now. I got bored the other day and did the "instant quote" option. I thought they quoted me wrong when they gave me the amount. I did it through another dealership and it was within $500 of the first offer! I don't owe anything on my truck and the allure of getting a $32-34k trade in price on it is more than I can ignore. I only paid $36k for it brand new 6 years ago! I found a truck I really like so tomorrow I'm going to get my trade officially assessed and check out the new truck. Looking at a Ram 2500 crewcab with the 6.4liter Hemi. They don't give them away but I'd be crazy not to trade my current truck in for that amount, right?? Anyone else value their trade and get amazed?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a 2018 F150 KingRanch, sticker is 67k

I bought it new in 2019,, it has 3000 miles on it now.

The dealer offered me 53k to buy it outright .,,not to trade , just to buy it from me,

Now while their offer on yours sounds great, you need to look at the price on the new one.

Are they giving you a decent price ? I get supplier pricing that is usually under invoice 

27 minutes ago, chrisw said:

So I've been toying with getting a new truck for a few months now. I got bored the other day and did the "instant quote" option. I thought they quoted me wrong when they gave me the amount. I did it through another dealership and it was within $500 of the first offer! I don't owe anything on my truck and the allure of getting a $32-34k trade in price on it is more than I can ignore. I only paid $36k for it brand new 6 years ago! I found a truck I really like so tomorrow I'm going to get my trade officially assessed and check out the new truck. Looking at a Ram 2500 crewcab with the 6.4liter Hemi. They don't give them away but I'd be crazy not to trade my current truck in for that amount, right?? Anyone else value their trade and get amazed?

I have the Ram your looking at in 2014 series. The trade in prices are a lure. Be careful of the sticker shock when you still owe 35 grand after your 35 trade in.  Then when prices get back to normal in a year or so you will be upside down in your New truck. 

• Like 2

My wife and I are actually going shopping for a minivan tomorrow. Our 2nd daughter is due in October, and we want to get a better suited vehicle for the trips back home to Illinois. We did a little browsing yesterday, and found the trade in value of her Lincoln all over the board. We’ve found a van we’re interested in locally, and are hopeful that we can use the trade in values to our advantage. It’s just kind of a crazy time out there. 

I have the Ram your looking at in 2014 series. The trade in prices are a lure. Be careful of the sticker shock when you still owe 35 grand after your 35 trade in.  Then when prices get back to normal in a year or so you will be upside down in your New truck. 
I've got the window stickers printed out from each dealership, prices of the packages I'm looking at are $50-58k. Should put me in the ballpark of $25k after trade in.

I have a 2018 F150 KingRanch, sticker is 67k
I bought it new in 2019,, it has 3000 miles on it now.
The dealer offered me 53k to buy it outright .,,not to trade , just to buy it from me,
Now while their offer on yours sounds great, you need to look at the price on the new one.
Are they giving you a decent price ? I get supplier pricing that is usually under invoice 
I haven't talked to anyone on the new vehicle price yet. Tomorrow is when we'll start that conversation. With trucks in such high demand I'm not sure how much I'll be able to haggle on the new one but maybe some accessories or something would be the better approach. The beauty of the situation is I don't NEED a new truck, I can walk away and keep my truck. Plus I have additional aftermarket add ons I can negotiate on for my trade value, (34" tires/rims etc).

How has your truck treated you?

I haven’t done it personally but the trade in value quote you got is the real deal. Used vehicle prices are through the roof right now. The chip shortage is delaying new vehicles and dealer lots are pretty empty so dealers are over paying for used vehicles.

As long as your comfortable the the price of the new truck your looking at go for it.

I could have gotten $7,800 more than what I bought my truck for in January of 2021 just 6 months later but most comparable trucks to what I already had where also $6000-$8000 more as well making it not worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dodge is one of the only lines that still seems to have at least somewhat of an inventory. The Dodge dealerships here actually have a few vehicles on the lot.  But its like the housing market - you can sell your house for more cause the value is so high but you still need to have a place to live.  Like Moho said if you can live with the price of the new truck then the trade in is a good deal. Just be sure the truck is actually available.  We ordered a new ford at work in June and they said the earliest we might see it is Jan. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I've got a 2022 Silverado 3500 on order. Sticker of $51,500. There giving me $41,000 for my 19 f350 with the 6.2 and 33k miles. I pd $42,500 for it.  I owe less than $20,000 on it.  My payment will actually be dropping with the new truck. 

Liked both my rams with the 6.4. had a 14 and a 17.  Almost went with another, but GM gave me a much better trade offer.

10 hours ago, chrisw said:

I haven't talked to anyone on the new vehicle price yet. Tomorrow is when we'll start that conversation. With trucks in such high demand I'm not sure how much I'll be able to haggle on the new one but maybe some accessories or something would be the better approach. The beauty of the situation is I don't NEED a new truck, I can walk away and keep my truck. Plus I have additional aftermarket add ons I can negotiate on for my trade value, (34" tires/rims etc).

If you are looking at brand new see if you can find someone with the discount code , ex or former employee , family member that works or worked for Ford , Chrysler etc..

Well everything worked out. They met me at what I wanted for my trade, gave me a few thousand off of sticker, a rebate and I got a bedliner thrown in too. Picking it up tomorrow.2021 Ram 2500, crew cab, Bighorn trim. IMG_20210830_170857395.jpgIMG_20210830_170848092.jpgIMG_20210830_145904119.jpg

• Like 13

Nice Looking Truck Chris !
You will have plenty of power to carry your boat to the lake  fishing now !  

Boat.jpg.dfb65ed93bb9b59c787954cbbd7e05d6.jpg
Haha, it's more than enough for a much bigger boat. That only means one thing, I need a bigger boat!

• Like 1