Opening day plans?

Swamp_bucks

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Just curious if your Cal property blows up the last weekend in October, like the Mendon property did?

Its usually pretty good.   Not as active as mendon but there are always some big bucks roaming come late Oct and Nov.  Even in Mendon, I never shot a big buck before Oct. 25.  

• Like 1

Monday is looking like rain at my cabin so I might wait until Monday to drive up. Nice little temp drop Tuesday so I will spend Tuesday and Wednesday hunting early season food sources then head back home Wednesday night if I have no luck. 

Spent the last hour driving my dogs nuts with my grant call, I think overall I'm actually ready this year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Monday is looking like rain at my cabin so I might wait until Monday to drive up. Nice little temp drop Tuesday so I will spend Tuesday and Wednesday hunting early season food sources then head back home Wednesday night if I have no luck. 

Spent the last hour driving my dogs nuts with my grant call, I think overall I'm actually ready this year.

I'm gonna need you to hunt in the rain. Your my first week pick in the pic em contest. But no pressure.... Lol

• Like 1

I've figured out my opening day spot.  It is a swamp that is overlooked and I found the first rubs of the year in 2 weeks ago. It is a primary bedding area with massive rubs and only about 2.5 acres in size.  It sets up for a perfect jhook scenario with the wind we are getting.  It has agg fields to the north and west and all the bedding I've found is inside this swamp.

The white line is the main trail on this section that loops the backside of the swamp so they can scent check before going into it. The blue tree stand symbol is where they cross the water to get into the dry part of the swamp.  The red line on the bottom left will be my entrance into the area.  The majority of the beds are just inside that point by the teal line.  Once they get off that point it's all blowdown and nasty tangle they have a hard time navigating. Wind should be at their backs watching the side of the swamp I'm on.  I'll be in a tree 1hr before first light.

I have personally put eyes on 2 bucks around the 90-115inch mark. Which is a great deer for my area.  My cousins have a camp just down the road and they took a 160 off their property a few years back so I know there can be bigger in the area along with bears.  

I will mention I won't be directly on the edge of the swamp.  There is a small rise 15 yards from it I'll be on and that's just in case they do come from the other direction my scent won't be blowing on that trail.

Screenshot_20210928-025019.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks