Neck Shots

Grouse

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Pump the brakes. So a neck shot is disrespectful to the animal, but shooting them up the ass isn't? I'm confused yet again by you. Do you just make up things that sound good in the moment and forget about the other things you brag about that completely contradict yourself?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Actually it is because the plus minus and side to side kill zone is significantly larger on the THS than it is on a neck shot, if your weapon is a high powered rifle.  

The math works out to an approx 6 in dia circle vs a 3 in for the neck shot do it is twice as “ethical” by that measure.  Did you take any math in school ?

Edited by wolc123

I will always opt for the highest percentage shot, that gives the most room for error, the lung shot.

The neck shot is devastating, but a bit more room for error or a clean miss. Yes, I have taken deer with the neck shot, when that was the only one presented. 

I like to play the better odds though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Actually it is because the plus minus and side to side kill zone is significantly larger on the THS than it is on a neck shot, if your weapon is a high powered rifle.  

The math works out to an approx 6 in dia circle vs a 3 in for the neck shot do it is twice as “ethical” by that measure.  Did you take any math in school ?

Under 75 yards ,how can a guy miss a neck with a rifle and expensive scope ?the target is the same size looking through a scope in the crosshair.

• Like 1

The math works out to an approx 6 in dia circle vs a 3 in for the neck shot do it is twice as “ethical” by they measure.  Did you take any math in school ?

Ok I see you're twisting it into a math equation now to backtrack... No I am not educated at all. I have zero math skills and don't read real good. But if what I'm reckoning yer a sayin is, butthole=good, neck = bad/disrespectful?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Ok I see you're twisting it into a math equation now to backtrack... No I am not educated at all. I have zero math skills and don't read real good. But if what I'm reckoning yer a sayin is, butthole=good, neck = bad/disrespectful?

In simple terms yes that’s what I am saying, now go get a big one.

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes.  Midway up the neck, not too close to the head and dead center.  I did not cut the hide on the neck to see what the results were, but the entire neck at that point feels like marbles in a bag.  Lots of blood was let out of each deer with those shots as well. The shots were taken from broadside.

Neck shots where always my go to shot. Close to instant death and not a single step taken.

The neck shot accounted for most of my deer before I archery hunted alot. I must have  taken dozens of deer with this shot mostly with a   308 ,but also mz loader, 300win mag, and a .280.

Most all 50yds or less . I also shot alot back then. 

In the past few years  I don't seem to keep up on my shooting practice  so I just keep it simple and aim for the lungs.

Oh, and btw wolc. you cannot take buttshots and also claim any standards on ethical shots..;)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Not a broadside shot then?

No .it was in my burn pile ground blind.It works great as it’s there year round .in the pic it’s that big round brush pile ,where the red mark is  a doe ran out ,I shot her ,then a minute later the buck chasing her came running out and at the split second I had ,I went for the neck as he was running head on almost at me and he dropped .That spot has killed many deer for me .44722079-A46D-4B35-9967-817BFF80E368.thumb.png.6f1d32b62cbefe598a7e6acf2cebbcf9.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

No .it was in my burn pile ground blind.It works great as it’s there year round .in the pic it’s that big round brush pile ,where the red mark is  a doe ran out ,I shot her ,then a minute later the buck chasing her came running out and at the split second I had ,I went for the neck as he was running head on almost at me and he dropped .That spot has killed many deer for me .44722079-A46D-4B35-9967-817BFF80E368.thumb.png.6f1d32b62cbefe598a7e6acf2cebbcf9.png

Nice! I had assumed it was a broadside shot. my bad