not pretty

skyhunter

I love possums.. They ain't too bright, but they are ALWAYS grinning..

I caught many of them in my miss-spent youth, just by running them down and picking them up by the tail...

A few years back, when I was down in Georgia hunting wild hogs, I tried to run down and catch an armadillo ( possum on the half shell)...

I learned that armadillos run MUCH faster than possums, or at least much faster than slightly overweight , middle aged Pygmies...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

When I was a kid I shot one with the 22 rifle . I had to shoot it several times to finish it off . We lived in the country and I didn't want one hanging around the house .

After I killed it I felt real bad and what I had done bothered me for several days . I have come across at least a half dozen since then and just leave them alone . But ...... they sure are ugly !

• Like 1

For me there is always a little sadness when killing a critter. Wether it is a buck, or a chipmunk. When you are a kid, you know so little about LIFE, all life. I remember doing the same thing, and it bothering me. I have no problem with people shooting varmints, I do it myself. Although now only ones that need thinning out at home. Like porcupines, no challenge in that. Chips, around the camp, they can cause a lot of damage to wires on vehicles. I had a buddy that would go out to South Dakota just to shoot at praire dogs at hundreds of yards. It sounded like fun actually. The farmers want the things shot, so they are happy to have someone do it. Just some random thoughts on the subject..

Been hittem them possums hard in the fall, traping and shooting, biggrst egg eaters out there. never had em' around when i was a kid...

Reminds me of a split lease in Wayne Co. Took out lots of possums among other critters w the 22mag, Turkeys seemed to rebound a bit.

Edited by Fantail

For me there is always a little sadness when killing a critter. Wether it is a buck, or a chipmunk. When you are a kid, you know so little about LIFE, all life. I remember doing the same thing, and it bothering me. I have no problem with people shooting varmints, I do it myself. Although now only ones that need thinning out at home. Like porcupines, no challenge in that. Chips, around the camp, they can cause a lot of damage to wires on vehicles. I had a buddy that would go out to South Dakota just to shoot at praire dogs at hundreds of yards. It sounded like fun actually. The farmers want the things shot, so they are happy to have someone do it. Just some random thoughts on the subject..

very well said; I feel the same way when I choose to kill a wild animal for whatever reason it might be.

my answer to the original question is yes, mother would love that opossum since it was she who endowed it with those "good' looks. :)